1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about privateers and cultural defences

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by ahmedhadzi, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

Hi again,

Set of two new questions that I have about our favourite game:

1) If you play a map, let's say Terra, where barbs should have time to build up on another continent, and if you would have Privateers for a blocade mission, would you still earn gold?

2) Late in the game, the number on the city bar for the cultural defence does not correspond to the acctual defence of the city (I think that number can only go high to certain level). But when you bombard it it says that: your catapult (or whatever) took down defence from 135% to 127%, even though it say, let's say 80% on the city bar.
    How can you check what is the real value?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

1) Just tried it out and theres no way to get gold from blockading barb cities as they don't have trade routes. Don't know why you'd bother anyway, privateers have far more important uses than gaining gold. The gold they gain is rarely a large amount anyway, just a little more than covering their own costs.

2) I answered it in this thread

Basically theres 2 different defense values, and both are correct. The one shown under the city is always the one applicable to the unit you have selected when looking at the city.
    The apparent weirdness comes from the need for all siege units to bombard from the maximum defense, which could be as much as 100% with castles, while the unit you have selected , such as a cannon that on attack ignores wall defenses.

i.e. for selected cannon it may show 40% due to culture, but the castle in the city still means it needs to bombard down from 100%. For some strange reason the bombardment reduction gets split between pure culture (40% in this case) and the extra given by walls+castle (60% in this case)

3. ahmedhadzi

ahmedhadzi Relocation Consultant

Just out of curiosity what would be a better use for privateers? Generally I don't tend to play water heavy maps, and use a lot of navy.

4. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Its not so much that gaining gold is a bad use, but its not a very good reason to use them!
    The gold you gain comes from blocking rivals trade routes, and hurting the AI is more important than the gold you gain. The gold is just a very nice little bonus :cool:, although great damage can be done in ways that don't even gain gold :p
    You can starve cities, disrupt internal/world trade or use Privateers to sink masses of Caravels for Great General points (a forum Favourite ;))

The only rules you really need to know to get the most from them;
    -Blockade extends 3 tiles in all directions giving a total square area of 7*7 tiles.
    -To gain gold you must blockade the tile the city is on (yes a land tile :confused:), this cuts all trade routes out from the city (even land routes :crazyeye:), but does not cut them from trade networks, resources can still be sent and recieved overland.
    -The only person who can use blockaded tiles for trade networks is you, everyone elses is blocked :mischief:. You can use this to monopolize world trade if your very ambitious :lol:
    -Rivals ships can attack your Privateers even while in your cities, the only place you can hide them safely is inside Forts in your territory.

5. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

They can't attack the privateers in your cities if you are a troubled loner civ with no diplomatic contact with other nations (no open borders);)

6. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

If you are role playing Tokugawa you have greater issues than using Privateers well! :lol:. Besides Caravels, Portugese Carracks, and Dutch East Indiamen can still get you with closed borders!
    Though i've never seen these ships attacking Privateers in my territory before :D

7. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

I can honestly say i've never played as the infamous toker. But I do play like him. Besides, I would have killed Joao, cause hes annoying, and Willem, cause he's a threat.