1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

question about religion

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OsmarChito, Apr 10, 2012.

1. OsmarChito

OsmarChito Chieftain

in civilization 4 religion was founded by discovering certain technologies so every religion was not founded at the same time but in civ5 g&k religion is founded when a prophet in born isn't it? so is all religion gonna be founded at the same time?? or how does that work?

2. BuilderFTW

BuilderFTW Chieftain

Yeah it seems like most of the religions will be founded around the same time. A religion will be founded slightly earlier if you build faith buildings more aggressively and later if you neglect building them.

3. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Chieftain

With Faith points,you can spawn Great Prophets,which can be used to found Religions and to improve them .

4. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

From what I understand, a Great Prophet is earned by accumulating a certain amount of faith, which can be sped up by certain buildings/possibly resources. So, it will be close, but not exactly the same time. On a somewhat related note, are ancient ruins going to play into this? We already get free culture, gold, and techs from them, will faith also be included in the possible rewards?

5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think i remember,yes, ruins do give faith.

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's also worth pointing out that the actual spawning of a Great Prophet is a random event. More faith increases the likelihood but doesn't guarantee it.

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

Sure it will - for the re-loaders.

8. theadder

theadder Chieftain

Yes; in the demo that they gave it was stated that the first point at which a Great Prophet can spawn had long since arrived, based on the number of faith points accumulated.

It seems that it is heavily randomised; if I remember correctly they had about three times as many faith points as they said were required.

Clearly this has the usual caveat about being a contrived situation created by the developers, but they stated it in order to make a point.

If that's an accurate reflection then it is very randomised.

9. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Yeah, they stated they were really unlucky to get to 300. Of course, that was probably turn one of the scenario so the reason they had 300 was to virtually guarantee they'd get one the next turn.

10. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Chieftain

Having it randomized up to the point of being 3x over the minimum is very cool. Makes for more of a unique gameplay unlike the predictableness of religions in Civ4.

11. theadder

theadder Chieftain

Absolutely; Civ IV was such a rote process for religion.

It never made that much sense for it to be part of the technology tree either.

Meditation as a technology!

12. Col Kurtz

Col Kurtz Chieftain

Maybe as Great Prophets are born (or religions founded), the number of faith points needed to spawn (or make likely to spawn) great prophets increases.

For example, two civs have 300 faith, giving each of them a 75% chance of spawning a prophet. A prophet spawns for Civ 1, decreasing the chance of a prophet for Civ 2 to 50%. Does that make sense? It would ensure a bigger spread of religion foundings over time.

13. Pax_Romanus

Pax_Romanus Chieftain

Yeah, but that means if your unlucky, you'll end up needing like 1000 faith to have a 50% chance of spawning a Great Prophet. I think it will be similar to culture, each new belief requires a higher amount for a new Great Prophet for that particular civ. That's assuming I understand it right; otherwise, I'm with you on this.

14. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

If I had to guess, 300 faith would be something close to a 90+% chance. Unless they scripted events, they probably gave them a crap load of faith specifically so they would get a Great Prophet the next turn. My guess is 150 is unlucky. 300 means the Civ gods are punishing you.

I don't think one Great Prophet decreases the chances for others, although I suspect your second one will be tougher.

15. theadder

theadder Chieftain

My thought is that it is either scripted, or they just played the game up to the point at which the Great Prophet appeared, since the random number seed is already set and then edited the auto-save from about 5 turns back directly; then whatever units and structures desired can be added.

It is probably easy for them to script it, but I suppose you never know whether the game is going to spawn another Great Prophet on the day and a turn early, which would look odd in the demo, since you would get two in quick succession. It is probably also possible to disable that, but at some point all of the adjustments probably become too much and it is easier to modify a somewhat realistic game.

Either way, 300+ faith seems to be very unusual. I have a feeling that it is probably very close to, if not actually with normal game rules after, 100% chance and they mostly want to make the point to us that there is an element of spontaneity involved in it, since that was completely absent in Civilisation IV with regard to the founding of religions.

16. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Here is a question: how does one switch State Religions, assuming religions act in this way? I have yet to see any interface changes which could allow this. Are you restricted to the religion you found, or, more likely, do religions not act as a component of the state, and you simply get the benefits of all religions in your cities? Also, would their be a benefit to holding the Holy City, or it just a symbol of one's founding of a religion?

17. theadder

theadder Chieftain

As far as I know, we haven't seen anything specifically in the Civ IV vein about adopting of a state religion. It seems to be related to the composition of the cities.

I'm assuming, though, that there must be some mechanism for adopting it, because otherwise it seems unreasonable for the AI to place such weight on it in its dealings with the player if there is no direct way of repudiating beliefs that it does not like.

There may be a religion management screen hidden away, but if this image is representative then it may not be possible to change it:

I don't see anything there that might allow moving away from it from a current religion. Perhaps the AI can demand it in the diplomacy screens; I am unsure, but I'd prefer to have direct control of it outside those situations.

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Exactly, if I decided the religion that I had founded no longer suited my goals, then I'd like to change it - if it worked for Henry VIII, then it should be possible for me. And if I don't found my own religion, what happens then? I would like to play out a scenario where I take the holy city of the civ whose religion "oppresses" me, and wipe it out. But then am I left without a religion and its bonuses? What if I've just discovered an exotic civ on another continent and I want to befriend them by committing to their faith - I would like to know if I have that freedom.

I also wonder how smart the AI will be when founding their own religions.

19. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

I hope the number of available religions scales with map size and number of civs.

When I play against 7 AIs I want to fight for a religion and there should be a chance that I can't found any new religion because I didn't focus on acquiring faith. But that's not possible when there are about 13 different religions to choose from and basically every civ has its own religion -_-

Diplomacy would also benefit from this because chances are higher that an AI adopts the same religion as you.

20. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I'm pretty sure its been confirmed that this is the case. I think half the number of maximum civs on a map constitutes the number of religions that can be founded.