1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About Tech Prerequisite Bonuses

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Undefeatable, May 18, 2017.

1. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Chieftain

I've heard somewhere that researching multiple prerequisites to a tech will reduce the beaker cost. I think this is true from experimentation; however, I'm not sure how much. Does anyone know the exact math for this?

2. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Normally about 20% discount for a prerequisite tech. 40% for 2 prerequisite. E.g. Currency and PH for COL.

You also get discounts pending how many Ai you have met that already know the tech.

You should also factor in difficulty level and speed you play at as these influence beakers too.

3. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Actually, it's 20% bonus towards the tech per direct prereq, not 20% discount. A direct prerequisite tech is a tech that has an arrow to the tech on the tech tree. If you have one such tech, then every beaker you research counts as 1.2 beakers, if you have two such techs, every beaker counts as 1.4 beakers. You also get 5% bonus towards the tech for every AI you know that has already researched it. These bonuses are not applied to beakers gained from bulbing with Great People, which is why Astro (no direct prerequisites) is a great tech to bulb, while for example Scientific Method often is best to research with 40% bonus.

Difficulty levels and game speed influence the cost of the techs. They have no effect on produced beakers.

Imploding likes this.
  4. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

That's what I was saying but not in a very clear way. :)

5. Imploding

Imploding Chieftain

How big is the discount?

Lets say The wheel.. cost 200 beakers on Normal speed.
    Standard size map with 6 opponents.

How much cheaper will the tech be if you meet:

1 with the wheel
    2 with the wheel
    3 with the wheel
    etc..
    ??

6. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Like I said, there is no discount. You get a bonus. For each AI you've met who has researched the tech you get a 5% bonus on your own beakers. The cost of the tech remains the same. For example, you've met 2 AI who know The Wheel, according to your slider you make 10 beakers/turn. You get a 10% bonus on your 10 bpt and your research towards The Wheel will increase by 11 beakers/turn.

Imploding likes this.
  7. Imploding

Imploding Chieftain

Should have read your post more carefully! :)

The Deity Ai start with Agg.. the wheel.. mining.. hunting? + (any civ unique starting tech.. like fishing for England and mysticism for India)
    This is really useful information! I will incorporate the thinking into my game play! Get some extra value out of my early game beakers might make a difference in a tight spot :)

8. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

It's common on games to deselect techs in the first 5 turns to take advantage of this. So when you meet the Ai if they already have this tech you get a bonus.

9. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Added AI techs in order (from monarch to deity) are Archery, Hunting, Agriculture, The Wheel.

Deselecting tech the first 5 turns is a really good idea, like Gumbolt said. You can get the bonus on beakers produced all first 5 turns, if you meet some AI before you have to select a tech on T5. The bonus from knowing AI who know the tech can also be used to find out how many of the AI you know have researched something (requires careful observation of research bar). Combined with info from the scoreboard, this can reveal to you exactly what techs the AI have long before Alpha. Though that's quite advanced and I don't think I've seen anyone attempt that outside SGOTMs.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Have actually used that trick to try to get a grasp of what techs some of the AIs have pre-Alpha. It doesn't help a great deal tbh, but it can be eye-opening to see the big difference in 'research' in the demographics screen depending on what tech you select.

11. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Chieftain

Pardon the ignorance but what is "deselecting" techs?

12. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

And what if you meet barbarian ... panther :mischief:, will one get 5% towards .... hunting ? :)

Deselecting techs is i dont know how to explain it, @Lain did it in hes recent video with Peter

Btw nice game with RII @Imploding .

Imploding likes this.
  13. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

After settling your first city, the game asks you to select a tech at the beginning of next turn. Select any tech, then click the research bar at the top of the screen once. Now the icons for all available techs should show where the research bar usually is. Leave it like that at end of turn. Next turn you are asked to select a tech again, select and click research bar to deselect. You can do this the first 4 turns, on turn 5 you will have to select a tech or your research is automatically put into some tech.

By deselecting techs, you are basically saving your research. It is piling up, so that when you finally select a tech on turn 5, all research up until then will be put into that tech. If you have met some civs who know that tech, you will get the bonus on all of that research. Also, it lets you delay the decision of what to tech first. Maybe your scout reveals something in the first 5 turns to change your mind, or if you are playing with huts, maybe you pop a hut to get the tech you would have researched for free. Deselecting the tech is really a win-win situation, there's nothing to lose. Unless you forget to select a tech on t5 and all research is put into hunting..

14. Undefeatable

Undefeatable Chieftain

Ok, I think I get it now. Another question: what determines how many beakers I get from popping a tech with a GP, and why do people here frequently talk about bulbing theology with a GP when IMHO that's a pretty useless tech?

15. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

It's determined by your total population. On normal speed Great Scientists give 1500+3*pop beakers and all other Great People give 1000+2*pop.

Theo is bulbed by Great Prophets. There's usually not much else to do with those, except starting a GA. Sometimes bulbing Theo is better, as that tech has massive trade value. Once Christianity is founded, the rest of the AI won't tech it for a long time.