Question about the Affects Saved Games box in ModBuddy

General Tso

Panzer General
I have the Affects Saved Game box checked for my mod because it changes some XML values and uses Modding.OpenSaveData(). The current version of my mod is 4. If I release a new version 5 with Min Compatible Version set to 4. Would users that have saved games from version 4 be able to continue their games after upgrading to version 5?

The only changes in version 5 are Lua code changes. There are no changes to the database or SaveData. Would the save games be compatible?

I found some posts that talk about saved games and mod versions but I didn't see any that specifically answered the above questions so I thought I would ask then here. I want to make a few fixes to my mod but it's not worth aggravating users by forcing them to start new games.

Can anybody tell me if saved games will definitely still work if I release a new version as long as Min Compatible Version is set to the previous version?

If I release a new version 5 with Min Compatible Version set to 4. Would users that have saved games from version 4 be able to continue their games after upgrading to version 5?
Yep...

The only changes in version 5 are Lua code changes. There are no changes to the database or SaveData. Would the save games be compatible?
... but it would be safer to test that part before release. From my experience, it's changes made to the DB structure that are the more inclined to broke save compatibility, but the more complex your mod is, the more difficult it will be to be sure that saves are compatible.

Thanks for the answers Gedemon.

I forgot to mention in the first post that I did some basic tests with my mod and everything appeared to work OK. I was looking for some confirmation that the Min Compatible Version thing works as expected.

Since I didn't make any database changes in the newest version I think I'll try publishing it and see what happens. Last time I upgraded my mod I set the Min Compatible Version to the new version number and there where a lot of unhappy campers posting comments concerning my mod. I'm trying to be more careful this time. :mischief:

You can add me in the club of careless modders that have forgotten to change the save compatibility flag numerous time... :o

(This has also learned me to always keep the previous version of my mods at hand if needed in such a case)

Top Bottom