Question About the Bonuses of My Religion in Other Cities

BlessingsBeUponYou

Chieftain
Blessings Be Upon You!

I was reading through the Religion section of the Civ 5 CBP Wiki, trying to better understand what bonuses religion provided, and came across this section:

"When more than 50% of the citizens of a city convert to a certain religion, it is declared the majority religion of this city, and the icon of the religion will appear just beside the city name in its tab. From now on, the owner of the religion will receive all religious bonuses applied on the city-level (which are most of the bonuses), and this city will start exerting more religious pressure for the majority religion than any minority religions. Moreover, units and buildings related to this religion can now be purchased in this city, while any terrain bonuses from its Pantheon belief will be applied to nearby terrain."

When it refers to "all religious bonuses applied on the city-level", is it referring to Founder Beliefs, Follower Beliefs, Enhancer Beliefs, or some combination thereof?

As an example, let's say my religion has Cooperation as a follower belief. I spread it to a neighboring Civ's city so that it becomes the majority religion. That neighboring Civ's city grows, gaining a citizen. Do I get the +5 to all yields or does my neighbor get the +5 to all yields? I am under the assumption they get it, but I am unsure of what is considered "city-level" for bonuses. I would assume "city-level" does not include religious buildings, such as not receiving the yields of a church or synagogue in a neighbor's city even though it is the religious building of my religion.

When a city gets a Majority Religion, it benefits from the Pantheon (unless it's a Celtic Pantheon then you get nothing from adopting theirs!), Follower, Enhancer (if applicable), and Reformation. Holy City only benefits from Founder's Belief

All religious buildings will spread the Majority Religion. I remember they used to emit pressure from their respective religion, but that was years ago.

Enhancers like Zealotry will let any cities with that religion adopt it, but something like Syndicalism (it technically works but you're not the Holy City to benefit :))

When a city gets a Majority Religion, it benefits from the Pantheon (unless it's a Celtic Pantheon then you get nothing from adopting theirs!), Follower, Enhancer (if applicable), and Reformation. Holy City only benefits from Founder's Belief

All religious buildings will spread the Majority Religion. I remember they used to emit pressure from their respective religion, but that was years ago.

Enhancers like Zealotry will let any cities with that religion adopt it, but something like Syndicalism (it technically works but you're not the Holy City to benefit :))
Back to my example in the OP, who then gets the yields from Cooperation when a citizen is born in the foreign city - me (religion owner) or them (city owner)?

Back to my example in the OP, who then gets the yields from Cooperation when a citizen is born in the foreign city - me (religion owner) or them (city owner)?
City owner

City owner
Thank you for clearing up my confusion!

This then allows for the player to allow multiple religions to be majority religion for a time, build the buildings specific to each, then flip back to their own religion and reap the benefits of having a bunch of religious buildings instead of 1-2, correct?

Beyond this though, if I have a strong religion and I am not angling towards a diplomatic victory, what is the point of spreading my religion after I reform? Why would I want to give the AI a strong religion to use?

Thank you for clearing up my confusion!

This then allows for the player to allow multiple religions to be majority religion for a time, build the buildings specific to each, then flip back to their own religion and reap the benefits of having a bunch of religious buildings instead of 1-2, correct?

Beyond this though, if I have a strong religion and I am not angling towards a diplomatic victory, what is the point of spreading my religion after I reform? Why would I want to give the AI a strong religion to use?
Because they follow one anyway, it gives tourism (which ease conquest transition), delegates which are usefull even if you don't aim for diplo victory, and yields.

Is it really true? Is the dominant faith of the city propagated, not the one to which the building belongs?

Then it is beneficial to let the neighbors bring their religion to you, then buy up all the available religious buildings and after that go through our cities with missionaries or the Great Prophet.

Therefore, in any case, the neighbors will send missionary spam to us, and this will have to be fought. In this case, we will simply postpone the struggle of turns for 30-40, but we will receive bonuses from the buildings of all neighboring religions.

The "founder" belief from your religion will dictate how good it is to spread to other places. For example, Council of Elders gives you a sizable boost of hammers and science the first time you convert a city to your majority religion, so you want to spread it far and wide. However, not all founders are created equal, and some are more suited for wide spreading than others.

Beyond that, you get votes, possible tourism bonuses, and possible diplomatic bonuses (sharing the same faith often gives a nice diplomatic boost)

Majority Religion: City based. A city has X as majority religion if half or more of its population follow X.
State Religion: Empire based. A civ has X as state religion if half or more of its cities have X as their majority religion.
Primary Religion: Empire based. If a civ is a founder and still has the holy city, its primary religion is always the founded religion. Otherwise, its primary religion is its state religion if it owns its holy city, and none otherwise.

A city can benefit from the pantheon and follower beliefs of its majority religion, and the reformation belief if it's also the state religion.
A civ can benefit from the founder and enhancer beliefs of its primary religion. I don't know if having majority is required for city-based benefits.

For Reformation/enhancer beliefs it's quite complicated.
You can only get global benefits from your primary religion (glory of god, crusader spirit, prophecy GP cost reduction)
You can get city-based benefits if it's your majority religion or if you own the holy city (Inspired Works, prophecy bonus yields etc)

Top Bottom