Question about the dike

Dwisetiger

Chieftain
I can't remember if I have to be on a river to build a dike, just like a levee? Or can I build one in every coastal city.

If you build a dike in every city, your lesbian population will skyrocket. Lesbians flock to dikes, so make sure you have enough food to feed the extra carpet munchers.

Haha...

I can't remember if I have to be on a river to build a dike, just like a levee? Or can I build one in every coastal city.

Levees need rivers, dikes can also be built in coastal cities. (Historically, the Dutch built dikes along rivers and along the coastline.);)

If you build a dike in every city, your lesbian population will skyrocket. Lesbians flock to dikes, so make sure you have enough food to feed the extra carpet munchers.

I'm fairly certain I became a little bit stupider just by reading this

You can build a dike in a city next to a river or any water tile, including a 1-tile freshwater lake. While it's most useful for coastal cities (especially with access to fresh water lakes as 3:food:1:hammers:3:commerce: is an awesome tile), it also makes inland city placement less of a problem as you don't lose long-term potential for not being next to a river.

This is a rather common fallacy that is completely untrue. While lesbians can and do congregate in Dutch cities, they flock to dykes, not dikes. Mounds of earth that hold back water are completely uninteresting, unless they keep it off my lawn. :p

Spelling is everything...

AHH Thanks Iranon, another great explaniation. The ability to use a levee/dyke for the dutch with any city that has water access can really help with city placement on a map im playing right now that has alot of lakes. Does an Oasis count as the water access too? If so I could build on the desert next to the oasis and then still get the hammer bonus for all my floodplains without sacrificing one.

Originally Posted by Cabledawg View Post

I'm fairly certain I became a little bit stupider just by reading this

I found this to be far superior to "Attacko". Possibly one of the greatest things I have seen on this site to date.

AHH Thanks Iranon, another great explaniation. The ability to use a levee/dyke for the dutch with any city that has water access can really help with city placement on a map im playing right now that has alot of lakes. Does an Oasis count as the water access too? If so I could build on the desert next to the oasis and then still get the hammer bonus for all my floodplains without sacrificing one.

No oasis doesn't cut it, however for some reason the impassable ice over water DOES allow you to build a dike :confused:

Top Bottom