1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about the dike

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Dwisetiger, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Dwisetiger

Dwisetiger Chieftain

I can't remember if I have to be on a river to build a dike, just like a levee? Or can I build one in every coastal city.

2. Cabledawg

Cabledawg King

If you build a dike in every city, your lesbian population will skyrocket. Lesbians flock to dikes, so make sure you have enough food to feed the extra carpet munchers.

3. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Haha...

Levees need rivers, dikes can also be built in coastal cities. (Historically, the Dutch built dikes along rivers and along the coastline.);)

4. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

I'm fairly certain I became a little bit stupider just by reading this

5. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

You can build a dike in a city next to a river or any water tile, including a 1-tile freshwater lake. While it's most useful for coastal cities (especially with access to fresh water lakes as 3:food:1:hammers:3:commerce: is an awesome tile), it also makes inland city placement less of a problem as you don't lose long-term potential for not being next to a river.

6. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

This is a rather common fallacy that is completely untrue. While lesbians can and do congregate in Dutch cities, they flock to dykes, not dikes. Mounds of earth that hold back water are completely uninteresting, unless they keep it off my lawn. :p

Spelling is everything...

7. CreeDakota

CreeDakota King

AHH Thanks Iranon, another great explaniation. The ability to use a levee/dyke for the dutch with any city that has water access can really help with city placement on a map im playing right now that has alot of lakes. Does an Oasis count as the water access too? If so I could build on the desert next to the oasis and then still get the hammer bonus for all my floodplains without sacrificing one.

8. Crusher1

Crusher1 King

I found this to be far superior to "Attacko". Possibly one of the greatest things I have seen on this site to date.

9. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

No oasis doesn't cut it, however for some reason the impassable ice over water DOES allow you to build a dike :confused: