Question about the King's Army

Midgetskydiver

Chieftain
So I have a question- does the European monarch's Expeditionary Force only get units as your Sons of Liberty % increases, or does the REF get bigger and bigger until you declare Revolution, regardless of the time it takes you to get from 1% to 50%?

Example: Say it's turn 100 and I have 0% Sons of Liberty membership. Does it pay to buy 10 elder statesmen and set them off all at once in order to minimize the time it takes to get to 50%? Or does it matter whether or not it takes 1 turn or 100 turns for me to get from 49% to 50% in order to declare?

Thanks!

Actually nevermind- I experimented a little and it looks like the King will continue to add soldiers to his Army even if your rebellion percentage stays the same. In other words, the best strategy is to minimize the time between 0% and 50% rebellion support. This is a glaring hole in the game design in my opinion.

The King should raise his military size in increments based on increase of Sons of Liberty membership- but he does not. He simply raises a bigger and bigger army drawing upon a magically infinite pool of gold and manpower as long as you don't hit the revolution button.

If you want to minimise the REF it does pay to keep your rebel sentiment at 0% and set your elder statesmen to work all at once.

The reason for this is that rebel sentiment depends on your liberty bell production rate (ie LB's per turn) while the size of the REF is related to your accumulated liberty bells over time. A fast increase in your rebel sentment generates less total bells than a long slow build-up.

There is one other factor in this equation however. If you buy cheap military units from the King these are factored in to the REF. The cost price in gold is regarded as an increase in liberty bells by that same amount, 1 gold = 1 liberty bell. However it may be a delayed reaction, not sure about that, but I think it might not come into play until you start producing liberty bells yourself.

Having said that however, this is not the tactic I choose to use in my own games. I prefer to generate liberty bells from the start in order to expand my colony borders and to gain Founding Fathers, as well as increasing production through the colony rebel sentiment bonus. This results in a large REF but because of the additional combat bonuses gained by my troops I have had no problem dispatching the King's men as soon as they land.

How the REF mechanism works is a little counter-intuitive to me as well.

Welcome to the Forums Midgetskydiver. :beer:

Top Bottom