Question - Defending a rival's city from his enemies with whom I haven't declared war

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by DigitalBoy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

I just came to Lincoln's aid in a war he was fighting against Hannibal, Tokugawa, and Montezuma. Hannibal took the city of Atlanta, so I declared war on him, captured the city, and gifted it back to Lincoln. My stack is currently situated in Atlanta (I have open borders with Lincoln), but there are no American units defending it. A handful of Aztec units are directly outside the city, but I haven't declared war on Montezuma.

What happens if Montezuma attacks Atlanta?

(Using BtS v3.13, if it makes a difference.)

2. Thanny

Thanny Warlord

Depends on who goes first - Monty or Lincoln.

The safest bet, if you want to protect it, is to gift some of your units to Lincoln.

3. Brian Boru

Brian Boru Prince

If Monty attacks and Lincoln has no units there, Monty takes Atlanta. Your units have no effect on Monty, so DoW on him before your turn ends, or gift units to Lincoln as DB said.

4. Draknith

Draknith King

If you do not want to get involved in a war against the Aztecs take Thanny's insight and gift some of the units to Lincoln. You do not receive any + to your diplomacy with Lincoln but you won't suffer any penaltied from the Aztecs because you didn't declare war on Monty.

5. Draknith

Draknith King

If you do not want to get involved in a war against the Aztecs take Thanny's insight and gift some of the units to Lincoln. You do not receive any + to your diplomacy with Lincoln but you won't suffer any penaltied from the Aztecs because you didn't declare war on Monty.

6. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

I'll summarize the situation for myself:
    Monty, Tokugawa, and Hannibal are allied against Lincoln. You DoW on Hannibal, capture Atlanta, and give it back to Lincoln. Now, Monty's massive stack looms in front of Atlanta. Lincoln is in no position to defend, so now what do you do?

Choice 1: Declare war on Monty. Attack the stack, then advance into Aztec territory. The problem with this is that it drags you into a second front, and if your army is unprepared, your offense will tear apart before the Aztecs and Carthaginians. It also will incur diplomatic demerits against Tokugawa, which might lead to a 3-front war. This is the worst option, unless you are in position, economically and militarily, to expand efficiently.

Choice 2: Gift some units to Lincoln. The AI will fortify these and defend against Montezuma. The problem here is that if you don't have Open Borders with Montezuma, your stack will be thrown out of Atlanta.

Choice 3: Declare war on Lincoln. Strange option, yes, but it may be beneficial. First, the negative diplomatic points for "You declared war on our friend" from Tokugawa and Montezuma will be negated by the "We share a mutual military struggle" bonus. This will reduce the likelihood of another DoW, and since Lincoln is already weak, you should be able to sweep in and vassalize/conquer him.