[Question] How to mod restrictions on city-foundation

Rod

King
Hi all,

I want to restrict the founding of new cities on a scenario map to a number of controlled places (predefined 3 tile-areas) by using intelligent map design.

How can I mod following design rules?

Either
1) Cities can only be founded next to fresh water (river or oasis) AND next to a resource. Cities can only be founded on grassland or plains, but not on any other terrain (desert, ice, tundra, mountains)

Or (if rule 1 can not be implemented)

2) Cities can only be founded on a special terrain , which has to be added. The terrain should resemble grassland or plains by graphics (and would basically be manually placed on the map by following rule 1 in order to not confuse the human player ). Cities can not be founded on any other terrain.

The idea is to allow for very large maps (for better warfare but still using the 1upt-rule), but still to prevent overloading of the map with cities and hence slowing down the engine.
Using the rules I would restrict the total number of cities to 75 or less.

The idea is also to have less cities overall, but not enforcing more tiles between cities. More space between all cities doesn't look natural. In the real world there are crowded areas with many cities in short vicinity to each other (Egypt, Middle-East, Chinese coast, Western Europe, Japan, American East Coast) and between them vast stretches of almost uninhabited lands (Sibiria, Central Asia, Amazonas, Scandinavia, Inner Australia, many parts of Afrika). This is the kind of map I want to create.

Expanding the intended spots to 3-tile areas will allow for small variations in the map, but thanks to the 2-tile rule between cities there will be no risk of having more cities that planned.

Top Bottom