1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on anarchy...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Nate1976, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Nate1976

Nate1976 Just Plain Wierd

Let's say that I have an improvement that only works in anarchy. This means that it has t obe built in anarchy, too - cant' happen. If you use engineers to create shields, that would help build during anarchy, right? scientists still work in anarchy. But a civil engineer gives 2 shields, and nobody would have 10 turns of anarchy to build the entire improvement.

So, let's say that you start the improvement and set a civil engineer to build it. The anarchy ends, will you continue building the anarchy-only improvement? Much in the same way that you'd continue to build a swordsman even after your iron gets disconnected?

-Nate

2. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

Several things:

1 - You can change the set up of anarchy to allow cities to build stuff. This is done in the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire mod, where anarchy is renamed to 'Civil War'.

2 - Civil engineers do work in anarchy IIRC.

3 - I think that you can set an improvement to only require 1 shield by setting its cost to 0 in the editor. I think. :mischief:

4 - Improvements that require a certain government will disappear when you leave that government. I don't know what happens if you're in the middle of building it, but I assume that it will disappear as soon as it's complete.

Hope that helps. :)

3. AncientOne

AncientOne Johnny Juwarra

4 - these improvements don't disappear (at least i have understood it so) but cease to have it's effect, when you change into different govt... and when you'd make another revolution, and have anarchy again, then these buildings start to work again
    ..ain't it so?!

4. Nate1976

Thast's what I thought. I was going to use that to give non-religious civs a good part to anarchy - have a building that produces a unit every other turn while in anarchy. be a pain to build, but not that bad to have.

-Nate

5. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

What you can do, I think, is make an improvement require Anarchy for construction, and then make another improvement require the previous improvement (but any gov't) to build it. I think that's one of the ways Heretic_Cata's mod represents the Occult.

6. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

Sorry not to reply earlier, but I'm not online as much as I used to be.

@ AncientOne - Are you sure? I thought that the Secret Police HQ in the normal game disappeared if you changed governments. Of course it reappears if you go back into the required government, so it doesn't matter much.

@ Nate - It sounds like that should work fine. :)

@ Virote - That should also work fine, but I'm not sure that is what Nate is trying for. I think the idea is to give a bonus to being in Anarchy to represent the great warlords that commonly arise during periods of upheaval.

7. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

ok...lets say that you have a Wonder in progress, that takes a TON of shields (1000+)...if you are 800 shields through it, and you switch to Anarchy, then switch the city building the Wonder, to build the "Anarchy only" building, arent the shields transfered??? so if the "Anarchy only" building takes 600, wont it finish??

If this is not the circumstance under which it occurs, I will say for a fact that there is someway to finish improvements during Anarchy...I have seen it occur on several occasions (For example, rushing an improvement, then changing to anarchy will do it)

8. plarq

plarq Crazy forever

I would name it "Monument of Revolution".

9. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Yea. There's a wonder that builds Shrines that actually do something only during Anarchy.
    But i'm guessing the OP wants this for every civ - so it'll have to be a Great Wonder. This would be slightly easier to do in my mod. Every civ-specific Great Wonder would build the anarchy building everywhere.

10. Nate1976

I was just gonna make in an improvement.

11. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

Well - it has to be an improvement. I meant the wonder that puts the improvements everywhere during anarchy.

But even if you manage to get shields during anarchy you don't know if the computer is going to use them ...

12. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

the reality is that the AI would never be able to use it, unless the improvements are generated by a wonder...

13. Nate1976

Oh yea...the AI doesn't use scientists/tax etc...does it?