Question on diplomacy: Figuring out whether to actually fight your ally's wa

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Genghis Dhan, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Genghis Dhan

Genghis Dhan Chieftain

Somewhere in Civ Fanatics, I've seen someone write about this, but can't find it. What I'm wondering is this: I go to war in support of someone, in any circumstances, including I've taken him as vassal and thus acquired the war he wants protection on. Does the game give me more positive points for sending troops? Sending troops and fighting battles? How does that work? Playing (in the Totally Replaced Leaders mod) Nebuchadrezzar II, I acquired Khufu of Egypt as a vassal, acquiring his war against Ogedei Khan of the Mongols. It was quite a distance for me to go fight Ogedei's formidable forces (the Mongols get lots of promotions.) I sent half a dozen Cuirassiers (mounted, could get there fast) plus a couple of Macemen and Longbowmen that were closest to the action. I'm wondering:
    a) Will sending more troops, get me more positive points with Khufu? (He's my vassal but has a huge kingdom and make go free at some point, so I'm managing our relations off in the future.
    b) Does actually engaging with the enemy get you more points yet?
    c) Is there any additional bonus for taking an enemy city or defending your ally's city?

2. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

This really doesn't belong in the strategy articles. These questions should be put into the general forum or questions forum. However, I'll try to answer.

(a) Number of troops makes no difference. The mutual military struggle bonus applies even if you send no troops. I've had phone wars last 1000 years. You get diplo points and no war weariness. Remember mutual military struggle goes up slightly over time.
    (b) No. It just gets you war weariness.
    (c) No diplo bonuses for capturing cities or defending allies. There are, of course, good reasons to protect your vassal and getting more cities is the point of most wars.