Question on Giant's Causeway

Chibisuke

Warlord
I used to think that Giant's Causeway was one of the best natural wonders. However, I was playing a recent game and somehow managed to start literally right next to it, so I was like "this is awesome!" Every one of my soldiers coming out of my capital would immediately get the Spear of From +5 strength buff.

However, I started noticing that whenever I upgraded those soldiers to the next tech level (i.e. slingers to archers, warriors to swordsmen) they would lose the Spear of From buff and I would have to send them back to Giant's Causeway to get the buff back. Has anyone else noticed this? Not sure if it was addressed anywhere else. If this is what is intended, then I think Giant's Causeway just went way down in value in my view.

That's the way it works. I'm not sure if it's what was intended or not.

I like Lysefjord, myself. The promotions are permanent and you can send your ships back for a new promotion every time they upgrade.

I may be mistaken, but I think it even says that the effect is gone after promotion somewhere.

It certainly helps you more than other Civs who have only got the odd unit near it. Which makes sense - pretty much all the Nat Wonders only help those who are settled around them.
A danger you do need to watch out for is any Civ who attacks your cities that block off Giants Causeway from other Civs. Their units which pass by the G.C. will get the promotion too :wow: lol

I prefer to think it as a bug.

Lysefjord, the naval +1 level natural wonder, works the same way. That makes it too easy to reach a high level.

I think I was biased in favor of Giant's Causeway also because I have actually visited it, and it was quite cool. However, I did not get a +5 STR buff.

But seriously, if that is a bug I really hope they fix it.

I even started renaming units so I knew they had the promotion... then realised after upgrade that was pointless.
Upsetting... but it's a nice promotion and with early support from military tradition can make a big difference. Either is an OK thing but you really need the support buff and government buff to recognise a big difference in troop power.

Hello, I'm curious. The buff is permanent so I have a question for you: if you hold the mouse cursor over the unit for an extended period (say 2-3 seconds) does the combat modifier screen change to show more combat modifiers?

When the box runs out of room it simply "pushes" the extra modifiers down to the next "page" which swaps to show them all after hovering the unit for a while

I have played nearly a thousand hours of this game since Giant's Causeway has been released and have spawned with Giant's near enough to use many times but I have never encountered a bug where it removes the bonus at any point of the game.

Top Bottom