Question on Isotopes

Harbringer

Your A One Flower Garden
So to my understanding an Isotope is a variation on a basic element, so I have some basic questions:

1:Are all materials exhibiting radioactive decay Isotopes?

2:If U235 has less neutrons then U238, does that mean its radioactive because its loosing protons constantly, or is it something else?

3:If Carbon 12 is the stable state of Carbon, how is Carbon 13 still stable while Carbon 14 is not, and why does having more neutrons than stability make it unstable, and what kind of unstabilaty is having more neutrons than necessary?

So to my understanding an Isotope is a variation on a basic element, so I have some basic questions:

Yes, and all that aren't exhibiting radioactive decay are also isotopes.

2:If U235 has less neutrons then U238, does that mean its radioactive because its loosing protons constantly, or is it something else?

Both are radioactive because alpha particles (essentially helium nuclei) are being ejected from the nucleus. How in-depth an answer are you looking for?

3:If Carbon 12 is the stable state of Carbon, how is Carbon 13 still stable while Carbon 14 is not, and why does having more neutrons than stability make it unstable, and what kind of unstabilaty is having more neutrons than necessary?

Because C-12 isn't the stable state of carbon, it's a stable state of carbon which just happens to be 99 times more common in nature. C-14 decays because it can become more stable, that is, reach a lower ground state energy, by ejecting a beta particle from the nucleus. Essentially, a neutron from C-14 becomes an electron, and the nucleus becomes N-14 as a result of this transformation.

1: No, experimental elements are unstable in their native form.

2: There are three types of radiation: Alpha radiation: atom looses two protons and two neutrons, effectively a helium core. Beta radiation is an electron emitted from a neutron, turning it into a proton (neutrons are slightly heavier than protons). Gamma radiation: electromagnetic waves.

3: A bit beyond me.

Yes, but all atoms are isotopes by definition, both radioactive and non.
No. I recommend reading the wiki article for a decent primer on radiation.

There's nothing saying you can't have more than one stable isotope. Stability is the proper balance of neutrons to other particles and forces, too many or too few and the atom will decay.

So to my understanding an Isotope is a variation on a basic element

Gonna have to stop you there. That's not quite correct.

There's no such thing as a 'basic element' per se. There's just more abundant and less abundant. The difference between Isotopes in a difference in the number of neutrons in the nucleus, nothing else. It's as equally valid to call C-12 an isotope of C-14 as to call C-14 and isotope of C-12.

So wait, how can C-12 be stable while C14 is not? Are there somehow enough protons in C-12 to keep it stable? Or is it something else? Im trying to put a lot into my head at once here:p But Im really interested in these types of subjects. In depth answers are fine.

Gonna have to stop you there. That's not quite correct.

There's no such thing as a 'basic element' per se. There's just more abundant and less abundant. The difference between Isotopes in a difference in the number of neutrons in the nucleus, nothing else. It's as equally valid to call C-12 an isotope of C-14 as to call C-14 and isotope of C-12.

I think it's easiest to call them all isotopes of Carbon :)

Maybe a slight stab at question 3, the explanations why some nuclei are stable and why some aren't are pretty complex. It turns out that in small nuclei, a pretty equal amount of protons and neutrons is energetically favorable. With heavier nuclei, adding more neutrons increases stability. Also, an even amount of protons and neutrons make it much more likely for the nucleus to be stable. This shows in the fact that there are only 4 stable nuclei with odd numbers of protons and neutrons and over 100 stable nuclei with even numbered protons/neutrons.

I think it's easiest to call them all isotopes of Carbon :)

Maybe a slight stab at question 3, the explanations why some nuclei are stable and why some aren't are pretty complex. It turns out that in small nuclei, a pretty equal amount of protons and neutrons is energetically favorable. With heavier nuclei, adding more neutrons increases stability. Also, an even amount of protons and neutrons make it much more likely for the nucleus to be stable. This shows in the fact that there are only 4 stable nuclei with odd numbers of protons and neutrons and over 100 stable nuclei with even numbered protons/neutrons.

So a nucleus can still be stable with an uneven amount of neutrons and protons? Its just that some arent correct?

edit:

So a nucleus can still be stable with an uneven amount of neutrons and protons? Its just that some arent correct?

Yep, like I said there are 4 stable nuclei with odd proton and neutron numbers.

Then there are over 100 stable nuclei with odd/even combinations and roughly the same amount of stable nuclei with both proton and neutron numbers being even.

So how exactly does Ionized radiation damage you? To my understanding its just charged subatomic particles(those being electrons, neutrons and protons leaked by radioactive decay) interacting with living tissue. How exactly does it damage it?

So wait, how can C-12 be stable while C14 is not? Are there somehow enough protons in C-12 to keep it stable? Or is it something else? Im trying to put a lot into my head at once here:p But Im really interested in these types of subjects. In depth answers are fine.

What's your physics background?

This shows in the fact that there are only 4 stable nuclei with odd numbers of protons and neutrons[...]

You wouldn't consider tantalum-180 stable?

What's your physics background?

You wouldn't consider tantalum-180 stable?
My physics backround is that im going to try and comprehend whatever you say, dont worry about that please, its just that articles and such arent written in a question and answer format so its very hard to get precise information from them.

Excellent intro to radioactivity without the math:
Part 1.
Part 2.

Isotope = a... Form, or state, of an element, though I'm sure there's a more precise way to put that. An element exists at any time as a particular isotope of that element, and different isotopes exhibit different properties.

Radiation, depending on the kind, damages you in different ways. With high enough energy it could cause decay in the atoms of your body, for example, which may drastically and harmfully change the chemistry of your body. I put that as simply as I could.

Im also wondering if Radioactive decay can stablize a nucleus possilby?

Yes. Eventually a stable isotope can be the result of decay.

It's just that it might be a completely different element.

So let me get this straight, radiation damages your cells by stealing electrons from your molecular structures? Is that what it does? If thats so what causes the burning from it?

wait wait wait.....how are isotopes formed in the first place, I know its just loosing a subatomic particle, but how can one lose a subatomic particle?

So how exactly does Ionized radiation damage you? To my understanding its just charged subatomic particles(those being electrons, neutrons and protons leaked by radioactive decay) interacting with living tissue. How exactly does it damage it?

So let me get this straight, radiation damages your cells by stealing electrons from your molecular structures? Is that what it does? If thats so what causes the burning from it?

wait wait wait.....how are isotopes formed in the first place, I know its just loosing a subatomic particle, but how can one lose a subatomic particle?

Damage by ionizing radiation (note: not ionized radiation) is complicated. The most common cause of the actual damage is the formation of radicals - mostly from water - where indeed the radiation interacts with a molecule (e.g. water) and by elimination or (seldom by addition) of an electron creates a highly reactive (hydroxyl and/or hydorgen) radical. This radical will react with anything that is close by - the major damage happens when this "anything" is a DNA molecule in which case a host of different reaction products occur which alter the way the DNA is read out by the cell leading to either malfunction or death of the cell. If the next molecule is also water these radicals form highly oxidative super- and peroxides which in turn can travel a somewhat longer distance before oxidizing a larger molecule such as DNA. The burn reaction is essentially an immune reaction to dying and dead (so called necrotic) cells in the affected area which need to be removed - the organism reacts to this kind of damage essentially in the same manner regardless of the cause of cell death...

If you need more detailed descriptions just ask :)

Can you explain the burning better? I dont quite understand that. Also, to my knowledge, are half-life unpredictable?

Top Bottom