1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question re Civ6 YouTubers

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by joyodongo, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Baigan

Baigan Chieftain

The flipside to this is that favorable maps often provide the best displays of high skill strategies, which in turn make great learning opportunities. The example that I'm thinking of is a video of a Chinese player I watched years ago who used the district discount mechanic by opening with three Theater Squares for a quick Science victory. It was an effective strategy at the time (not so much today) but difficult to pull off. I could never perfectly replicate it in my own games, but I learned far more about the mechanics and tradeoffs and things to look for when considering that line of play by watching that great start than I would have watching a different video of a player muddling through a more typical start.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  2. Finvola

Finvola Where's my pie?

I watch some of the Youtubers and catch a livestream every now and again. I think being entertaining comes with running a successful channel. Yes, some of their content is for the memes or whatever they call it, but I have watched enough videos (from different creators, not referring to any one in particular) to see that they offer a variety of videos. Some are fun/silly and others are challenging. Some will pick everything on random and only allow themselves one restart. For the longest time I played on Prince and never thought I'd play on higher difficulties and be good at it but I have actually learned a lot by watching Let's Plays and livesreams. I recently moved up to Deity and can win. I can only speak for myself but watching some of these channels helped me to become a better player. I'm not talking about the silly challenges or meme games, but the ones where they go step by step or explain their thought process.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  3. LMT

LMT Warlord

I can confirm that this was possible. I won a DV on King doing this just to try it out. Probably not doable anymore with the new patches and modes, but I did accomplish it without any mods (I never use any). I just followed SB's guide.

The sad thing is, if SB did use mods, they were totally unnecessary!

4. Linklite

Linklite Emperor

It was with mods, there was a thread about it here - his governors had the wrong promotions. Probably just to ease things along, but still, as I was saying earlier (and this example was in my mind), it's cheating to claim that you're doing x when you've thumbed the scales and not mentioned it.

5. Isengardtom

Isengardtom Warlord

Their main purpose off course is to create fun content. In that regard, grinding through a weak start is usually not very entertaining so often they roll different starts until they find a good one and use that one to publish the content with.

They’ll also try to get as quickly through a game as they can as the first YouTube video where you’re in the exploration phase is the most fun and always the most popular.
    Usually past Turn 150 watching civ content becomes quite boring

6. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Maybe for the OP, there is a difference in how you appreciate the videos between Twitch and Youtube.
    My favorite Civ VI steamer is thegamemechanic, and if you are on Twitch before he starts a game, you clearly see him rerolling until he gets a good enough start, but that's edited out of the youtube videos.
    He also isn't shy about sharing games where he lost : in his test of time series where he played all the civs in chronological order (starting with Gilgabro and ending with John Curtin), you can find at least 5 losses.

7. TigerBulkRate

TigerBulkRate Chieftain

Great post. One thing I would change about this game if I could is make big swaths of plains or grassland better somehow. Right now, they are so so bad: a giant stretch of grassland is arguably worse than a desert, because at least Petra is a thing to eventually make those tiles good. This creates weird situations where most everyone's best start is in a rainforest, and this problem is really magnified by chopping for obvious reasons. Flat-land starts really get absolutely nothing to help them, which adds to the temptation to reroll.

Maybe it's too much, but I would love to change the base food yield of grasslands to 3 just to see what happens. It might be terribly broken, but I think it could go a long way towards making non forest/jungle starts more competitive.

8. newbie2

newbie2 Warlord

I'm currently going through that series. Which are the ones he lost? Cause I'm cherrypicking a bit

9. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Pretty sure Tomyris and Catherine (so it looks as if he didn't post the video where he actually says he gives up on that one). Same thing for Philip.
    Might have been only 3 losses though I was fairly sure there was a couple more.

The live steam of Shaka was pretty sun, the chat did their best to derail the game and push him to take risks but it worked out pretty well in the end.

10. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

11. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

"bad start" to me means you just need to conquer the civilizations which have a better start ! ha ha ha

but seriously there are some games where I stand no chance of winning, like spawning at the end of a peninsula and a warmonger has boxed me in. I guess I can pray until caravels come around and then explore the ocean, but until then usually it's not going to be FUN.

Deadly Dog likes this.