Question re goodie huts??

clut

Warlord
Hey, I've recently transgressed from being utter tripe at this game, to being able to hold my own and possibly win on cheiftan, although I know I still have a long way to go.

Just recently I've spent a lot of time reading the Succession GOTM forums, as I can actually read the thought process going on behind the moves made in the games there and try to learn from them.

One question I have though, is I've seen players leave goodie huts for a while... why is this? do you not want the goodie hut asap??

One possible answer that has already occured to me is that the goodie hut could give a tech, but if you wait before getting it, and research some of the earlier techs, you may get a better tech from the goodie hut... but they only seem to give the basic techs out anyway, so my theory falls over there, in that the more you've researched before a goodie hut, the less chance you'll have of getting a free tech from a goodie hut.

I always get the goodie huts as soon as I see them... but can anybody give me a good reason not to???

Thanks for your help.

I am not a good player, so I dont know, but on the higher difficulty levels (I play mid-range at Emperor), the chances of "disturbing an angry tribe" much higher, and one regular warrior will probably not survive. I sometimes wait until either I feel that I will win the fight or that I will not endanger a nearby undefended town / worker (once you pop a hut full of angry barbs and a worker is nearby, they will go and cream him).

ok, that kinda makes sense... the SGOTM's I've been reading have been on a pretty high level. On cheiftan I just ransack them with whoever comes accross them, including workers. I guess when I move up a level I'll soon learn not to do that!

The barb warriors in huts is a valid reason on higher difficulty, but there are various other reasons for not rushing-in to pop a hut straight away. For example, you can't get a settler from a hut whilst you're building one or have one on the map already - so you might want to use an existing settler before poping a hut. Secondly, I don't think you can get a tech that you are currently researching from a hut - some players pop huts around research.

ainwood said:
For example, you can't get a settler from a hut whilst you're building one or have one on the map already

Oh, I didn't know that... but I'll pay more attention to it in the future. About not getting techs you're researching.. I was hoping this was the case as it could potentially waste many reasearch turns otherwise.

Thanks for the tip about settlers tho...

ainwood said:
For example, you can't get a settler from a hut whilst you're building one or have one on the map already
Ya, I didn't know that either :p I've been able to pop some settlers from goody huts before, but never took into consideration whether I have settlers on the map or in production or not.

The barbs are no concern at Chief as you get 200 bonus Vs barbs. On Sid and Deity it is zero. What this means is on chief you can send out that regular warrior and expect to win.

On Sid you can send out warrior vets and archers and horses and not be sure to win. I have lost vet swords more than once. So you tend to leave huts alone, until you are sure you have enough defenders.

Better yet you do not play with goody huts.

Top Bottom