1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question to those from Czech

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MattiK, Nov 16, 2016.

1. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

I'd like to buy this manga ( = Japan made comic) to my coworker from Czech for Christmas:

Unfortunately only translations I have found available for sale are in French. If you're from Czech, could you please look around if it is available over there in local language, and maybe help me out to get one?

Question to the rest of you: would you be interested to have a thread for discussion about anime & manga?

2. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

I could have a look and ask when I go back to Czechia on Sunday for couple of days but I am from a smaller city.

I would be interested in the thread so that I perhaps get to more understand what is the manga about. I visited Japan last year and I got some sense of appreciation for Japanese love of cute and sweet things but it still puzless me a bit...

3. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Manga = Japanese word for comic
    Anime = Japanese word for cartoon
    When Japanese talk about manga, they mean comics in general. In other languages word 'manga' is used for Japanese comics like Samurai is used for Japanese knights. In Civ4 Samurai replaces Knight for Japan. For comparison: 'panzer' is German word for tank, but in other languages 'panzer' = German tanks. And again: in Civ4 Panzer replaces Tank for Germany. If Civ game had comic and cartoon, then Japan civ would replace those with manga and anime.

While many popular anime & manga are cute & sweet, Divci Valka manga is something else

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  4. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Panzer is German for "armor" if you really want to get pedantic about it.

As seen in:

Panzerhandschuh: lit. armored glove (i.e. a gauntlet)
    Plattenpanzer: Plate armor
    Panzerkampfwagen: lit. armored battle vehicle (i.e. a tank)
    Panzerschreck: lit. armor terror (i.e. a rocket launcher)
    Knochenpanzer: lit. bone armor (e.g. a turtle shell)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  5. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

6. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Learn Japanese :mad:

7. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Or French.

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

French is a lot easier to learn if you speak Czech as a lot of the European languages are similar and mixed with each other then Japanese a language based on memorising shapes
    Though I probably say learn English rather than Japanese for your second language, third language Japanese if you like Manga

9. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

I know that. I also know:
    tank = liquid container
    Also of interest:
    Main Battle Tank = Kampfpanzer

If I learn Japanese language, would it help my Czech coworker to read the Japanese comic?

10. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

No czech version. On the internet can man just find the amateur translation of volume 1.

11. MattiK

MattiK Warlord

Bummer :(
    After all, it is about Bohemia, predecessor of modern Czech, where Hussites and national heroes kick crusader knights' ass several times over. Why shouldn't it be localized for Czech?