Questionnaire for UKNES9

uknemesis

The Nemesis
Yeah, I'm going to begin the next of the UKNES game NESs soon, god help me lol.

Anyway, in preparation for it, I'd like a few questions answered:

1) a) What era should it be set in, or should it go from the Stone Age to the Space Age (an idea I am currently considering, using icons for the different units so you'd actually have to upgrade existing units. Any other NES makers, feel free to steal this idea, cause I'm probably going to find it too much to take on)?
b) If it did include an age where there were aircraft, how could they be included in combat on a map of provinces (already got ideas myself on movement, but still open to ideas on that too)?

2) Should the seasons affect combat, movement and income? I'm currently considering using Blownaparte's way of only getting your income on the Winter turn, but with the movement still allowed...

3) Should you be able to buy extra moves for your units? How much should it cost (bearing in mind that the costs will be roughly the same as the old UKNESs like 2, 3 and 7)?

4) Should nations have unique bonuses? What are your suggestions for them?

5) Should you be able to upgrade your technology? If the NES went from Stone Age to Space Age, this would be a no, since including techs within the Ages would just be too much work (I think the very idea of that many Ages is too much anyway!), but if it was based on one age, do you think you should be able to buy techs? Is buying the best way, or have you an idea for other ways, such as paying scientists etc?

6) What map should this be played on? I'm currently considering either the old European map, or a large scale map of North America or Britain.

7) Should the setting be realistic? I know of a turn based game set in the future, which has an excellent map and rules, and which I could poach a lot from, if anyone supported the idea of a science fiction NES.

8) Should combat be random with dice (as usual, with the old bonuses/penalties etc), or decided by me? Should tactics play a part in it?

9) Would anybody be interested in playing a lower-level NES, where instead of running a country you command a person, or a small group, RPG style? If I went along with this idea, it would all be regulated like a game NES, and based in a NES-type world, and you would be able to upgrade your characters etc. I remember someone doing something similar, but rather than a forest, I'd be more likely to do a battlefield, or a capital city of a nation in the midst of rebellion.

10) Is a fewer players, more in-depth NES better, or a more players, less depth one? Basically, should I make a more complicated and realistic NES with fewer players, or a less complicated one with more? The most I'd stretch to is 12, and the least I'd want to mod for is 4...

Thanks for answering my questions if you do so! And please do, because it will make help the next UKNES better!

Thanks

Nemesis

1 a) Age of discover.

2) Sure.

3) No.

4) Yes. Use Civ 3 model bonuses.

5) Yes, if the game goes on long enough to advance into new eras.

6) European or World, preferably the latter.

7) Yes.

8) If dice, then no tactics. If decided by you, then tactics. Don't really care which.

9) I like the RPG idea a LOT :goodjob:.

10) Fewer players, invite list.

1.) a. I dont care, just dont make it more then you can handle, please.
b.) they can bombard, and if superiority is achieved give bonus in attacking.

2.) only affect the attacking/defense. Everything else gets too complicated.

3.) Yes, but only one extra move, and possibly only for the aircraft/cavalry/airforce. Costs 1c

4.) No unique bonuses - to hard to equal them out.

5.) No tech research.

6.) Use your European one, with modifications.

7.) I wouldnt mind a science fiction one, just with real countries.

8.) It should be a hybrid between your judgement and dice roll...You figure out something like that, lol.

9.) Sounds interesting, but need more information.

10.) hmmm, a smaller map needs smaller amounts of people - just keep that in mind. I dont really care.

Also, please make sure you can keep this game going once you start it. I hate you quitting the nes's, lol.

Jason

A discussion with Jason on the RPG idea, and also where I see NESs going from here, or where I'd like to see them go (plus where I'd like to take the UKNESs!):

Chrisbraund2000: ok, well for the battlefield idea, you'd have to give orders to your small squad of soldiers. There would be targets for both/all sides (depending on how we decided to make it), and you would have incidents
Chrisbraund2000: that you'd have to react to
Chrisbraund2000: ie; you may be told by your commander to burn a village and kill all the occupants due to them helping the enemy
Chrisbraund2000: now if you did it, you'd have a guilty conscience, a fearsome reputation, and a lot of enemies
Chrisbraund2000: if you didn't, you might be court-martialled and hung
Chrisbraund2000: or forced to go it alone, or join the enemy
JJ GiantsFan3000: hmm
JJ GiantsFan3000: ok, do the mob now
JJ GiantsFan3000: /rebellion
JJ GiantsFan3000: lol
Chrisbraund2000: sorry, back lol
Chrisbraund2000: anyway
Chrisbraund2000: back to the revolting city lol
Chrisbraund2000: probably have a city street map
Chrisbraund2000: where your character can move freely around the city
Chrisbraund2000: but it takes a while to walk to places
Chrisbraund2000: and transport costs (may not bring in the transport idea)
Chrisbraund2000: but anyway, basically you could visit certain places, get involved with local gangs etc, join the government or the riots, become a criminal etc
Chrisbraund2000: and this would all affect your stats, and on how you could affect the course of the revolution
Chrisbraund2000: Also in this one you have decisions to make
Chrisbraund2000: you may be in the army, having to put down the revolution - do you fire on civilians? or do you reject the order and be court martialled? or do you join the rebellion?
Chrisbraund2000: I mean I'm also considering that idea for a nation state NES (to rip the name exactly from the website lol)
Chrisbraund2000: that you have your usual UKNES7 map or something, and the usual game
Chrisbraund2000: but each turn your nation has a decision to make
Chrisbraund2000: ie; maybe your arms factory workers are going on strike
Chrisbraund2000: do you order your soldiers to force them back into the factories, thereby keeping up production?
Chrisbraund2000: do you pay your workers more, meaning more upkeep?
JJ GiantsFan3000: sounds interesting
Chrisbraund2000: or do you let them strike, to teach the factory bosses a lesson, but then your army suffers?
Chrisbraund2000: lol basically I think that's my main problem at the moment
Chrisbraund2000: I've got too many ideas floating around in my head
Chrisbraund2000: and I'm not sure which one to go with
Chrisbraund2000: heck
Chrisbraund2000: we could even have a demo-game type NES
Chrisbraund2000: where all the players are one country
JJ GiantsFan3000: that would be cool
Chrisbraund2000: and must make the decisions against the world I create
Chrisbraund2000: not sure whether I'd make that one a game NES, a story NES or a mixture of the two
Chrisbraund2000: might even go with the old Roman Empire for that one, on my usual Europe map
Chrisbraund2000: have rebels, barbarians etc
Chrisbraund2000: and you guys as the Senate
JJ GiantsFan3000: i dont know
Chrisbraund2000: and lol each of you commanding a legion of troops of course, meaning that
JJ GiantsFan3000: now ur steering away from nes, lol
JJ GiantsFan3000: conventional nes
Chrisbraund2000: if enough of you teamed up, you'd be able to remove others from the Senate
Chrisbraund2000: by force
Chrisbraund2000: but then their area might rebel, or you'd have to deal with the aggressive friends you've now got
Chrisbraund2000: lol I know
Chrisbraund2000: but that's what I mean
Chrisbraund2000: the NESs have gone nowhere near where they can go yet
Chrisbraund2000: we've had game NESs, story NESs...
Chrisbraund2000: but there are so many other ways it can be exploited
Chrisbraund2000: lol beginning to sound like a politician now!
JJ GiantsFan3000: but most of the players like it with nations and conquering

EDIT: KNAS, removed mentions of your NES, didn't want to see your ideas get stolen!

1)not another space age one and half the story NES begin in Stone Age,so we don't need that either
2)probably seasons should affect the income (depends on the map),but nothing else
3)yes,extra moves are realistic if they cost a small amount of money
4)No,I don't like this.
5)in one age,certainly
6)we have many world NES,but you also often used europe,so North America would be good and fresh I think (but better than in UKNES2,lol);but it of course also depends on the age a bit
7)yes,realistic (but preferably not SF)
8)dice
9)honestly I don't like the RPG idea that much
10)it's really up to you
7)

1.a. if you are SURE you can handle the stone to space idea, then i'd love to see it. if not, then just one age
1.b. i was gonna say "forget aircraft" but thought about it and here's what i come up with.
you have fighters and bombers. in an attack (or defence) the fighters fight the enemy fighters (just like army fights) and the winner's bombers each kill one army on the ground (the looser's bombers are shot down easily by the winner's fighters). i guess fighters could also have a 'scouting' ability, but not sure how to implement it (maybe ads to die rolls).

2. i dont think seasons affecting fighting is a good idea. affecting income (and maybe movement) can be interesting.

3. forced marches??? maybe limited and then they get a penalty if they fight at the place they went to.

4. yes. suggestions depend on how the rest of the game works.

5. tech, only if its all one age. how about: every province has a scientist in it who has a random (1 in 100?) chance every turn of discovering your 'next chosen' tech.

6. i think if you have the multi age idea, then it has to be atleast eupope and maybe the world (can you immagine the british fighting amongst themselves during the space age?), but if its single age, then a blown up America would be interesting. i liked the fact that there was a 'new' map in EPIC.

7. as long as 'realistic' dont turn into "the F-18 is better then the Mig-29" type things (remember the horizon game?) then its fine. but it is a game, so screw realizm.

8. yes random. deciding by a mod can get very ugly if the mod has to do orders for someone who didnt send theirs. tactics? if you're not just 'deciding' who wins then tacktics will be very difficult to implement.

9. it would be interesting to try. but i think you'll need a VERY strong commitment from the players to make it work (cause rules will proly change during the game to 'fine tune it' and you have to know that people wont quit just cause they are loosing, or dont like the new rule)

10. i'd suggest medium players (6-8) with less depth. easier to mod. easier to understand. easier/quicker to do orders. less possible 'rules disputes'.

in addition to all that, may i suggest: dont get carried away. as we learned from UKNESs 4-6 simpler is better.

3. Perhaps we should look at the Civ series. If you move on a road, it goes faster, but you get an attack penalty for it. In the NES it could work in the way thats if you move a unit 2 territories, it would only fight at 2/3 strength, wether being attacked or attacking, on that turn.

1) a) What era should it be set in, or should it go from the Stone Age to the Space Age (an idea I am currently considering, using icons for the different units so you'd actually have to upgrade existing units. Any other NES makers, feel free to steal this idea, cause I'm probably going to find it too much to take on)?

This can be hard to do, I'd like to see something WW1 era, maybe not set during WW1 thugh, a counterfactual would be nice

b) If it did include an age where there were aircraft, how could they be included in combat on a map of provinces (already got ideas myself on movement, but still open to ideas on that too)?

No Comment

2) Should the seasons affect combat, movement and income? I'm currently considering using Blownaparte's way of only getting your income on the Winter turn, but with the movement still allowed...

Hell yes they should

3) Should you be able to buy extra moves for your units? How much should it cost (bearing in mind that the costs will be roughly the same as the old UKNESs like 2, 3 and 7)?

Maybe with techs or bonuses, yeah, i guess so

Yes, they should Bonuses, though the are often hard to balance, give a game flavor and generally make the nations more diverse and the game more enjoyable.

5) Should you be able to upgrade your technology? If the NES went from Stone Age to Space Age, this would be a no, since including techs within the Ages would just be too much work (I think the very idea of that many Ages is too much anyway!), but if it was based on one age, do you think you should be able to buy techs? Is buying the best way, or have you an idea for other ways, such as paying scientists etc?

I think this is an alright Idea, buying and all, though the payment of scientists would also be alright

6) What map should this be played on? I'm currently considering either the old European map, or a large scale map of North America or Britain.

Europe I favor, north America perhaps, Not Britain

7) Should the setting be realistic? I know of a turn based game set in the future, which has an excellent map and rules, and which I could poach a lot from, if anyone supported the idea of a science fiction NES.

Noone of CFC has ever supported a scifi NES save for me and a few others, it is hard to fly here, I reccomend a CounterFactual with a disjointed Germany in a WW1 setting, you could include nations making up the German states, rather than a single Germany

8) Should combat be random with dice (as usual, with the old bonuses/penalties etc), or decided by me? Should tactics play a part in it?

A little of each, this may seem confusing but what I'm thinking is a random combat with bonuses for tactics and just bonuses

9) Would anybody be interested in playing a lower-level NES, where instead of running a country you command a person, or a small group, RPG style? If I went along with this idea, it would all be regulated like a game NES, and based in a NES-type world, and you would be able to upgrade your characters etc. I remember someone doing something similar, but rather than a forest, I'd be more likely to do a battlefield, or a capital city of a nation in the midst of rebellion.

I wouldn't be, I wouldn't have the time to understand it properly

10) Is a fewer players, more in-depth NES better, or a more players, less depth one? Basically, should I make a more complicated and realistic NES with fewer players, or a less complicated one with more? The most I'd stretch to is 12, and the least I'd want to mod for is 4...

I like games with only a few players, but if you follow my disjointed Germany idea you would have to include a few players (Britain, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, France, Spain, Italy and a few German states.

1) Age of Sail

2) Sure, it is up to you, it could be fun to do. (Rhyme much?:p)

3) No

4) Civ style traits, I guess. Unique Units could also be fun.

5) Paying scientists to gain techs, include alternate tech paths like alchemy.

6) Euasia-Africa/World

7) Some fantasy stuff could be cool, as long as you can keep an audience.

8) Hmm... highly detailed orders would be the only way to decide tactics. I think you should decide the outcome of all.

9) Could be fun, whatever you're up to doing.

10) I agree with Toasty: few players, invite

Colonial Age (European colonies in the Americas, Africa, etc.)

Go for it... might add an interesting dimension to the game.

No. In RL, you can't hand some cash to a general and say "Get your troops to go farther than they normally can." If a unit can only move so fast, it can only move so fast.

Depends. If you use my suggested era, I could see you giving bonus traits to the Imperialistic civs to make it realistic in their dominance over the civs they are colonzing.

Yes. Techs are good. They are your friend. Personally, I use it that you must order it for X number of turns.. you could maybe make the # of turns dependant on money put into science, an education stat, etc.

Well, the one I suggested would require either a world map or a Euro-Africa-Americas map. However, if you don't like my ideas ( :p ) I would like to see a Euro-North Africa-Mid East map or a Western Europe (British Isles, France, Spain, etc.)

Whatever you think. I like historical NES's, but a sci fi one could be fun.

Dunno... still working out how I decide battles. I'm using a combination of dice with penalties and deciding certain historically accurate events to happen the way they did.

Mmm...rebellion. ;) Sounds intriguing.... if you started one, I'd give it a try.

Either way...both have pros and cons. How about this: it can only be a small, indepth NES if I'm in it. ;)

Just want to answer on 10:
It would be great with invation, but I am never invated so....

so, UK, did any of this help? you get any farther with this thing? i remember while i was away from the forum (while it was going through its 'stories only' phase) you sent me an email that said you were thinking of starting UKnes9, still nothing. come on already. i wanna play in on of these games (modding is great(if a bit irritating, wish i'd started it earlier)

Top Bottom