1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about city defence.

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Ogaburan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Ogaburan

Ogaburan Chieftain

I just came back to civ4 after I decided it was much more fun then Civ V.
    Obviously this mod was my first stop. :goodjob:

I am puzzled tho, I am trying to conquer enemy cities, but they seem to bombard me in some manner, and im losing 2-3 units every turn. Yet i don't seem to be able to determined where are those attacks coming from.
    (note that i am still in the middle ages, on deity marathon on my first play-through)

My questions are;
    1. Is there a unit doing that? My understanding was that ranged bombardment will only weaken units and not actually kill them.
    2. Is that a building doing that?
    3. Is there a way to disable it?

I really do hope someone will answer me quickly, as this for me renders the mod unplayable. Mostly because i do not understand the mechanics behind it...

Cheers.

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

IIRC some of the defense buildings like towers and traps now damage enemy units next to the city they are in - so you will likely need to bring some healers with you to take out the city...

3. EldrinFal

EldrinFal Chieftain

What ori said above is correct. Basically the outposts, towers, and other buildings are attacking your troops stationed just outside. Sieging is dangerous business so it makes sense. It also helps your own cities defend too.

To answer question 3 : You might be able to go into the XMLs somewhere and tweak the damage. I'm not sure about turning the whole mechanic off. But if you set the damage to 0 or just really low then that might fit your preference better.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Having a healer in each siege stack is escentual, often they will heal a bit more than the damage inflicted by the buildings but only on units that don't attack that round.

5. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Since putting in this feature I think twice before attack a city. The longer you stay bombarding down the defenses the more the city defense can attack you. like DH said, you need healers if you want to successfully take a city, or be very quick in your attack.

No more camping outside a city until its easy to attack. I find this much more realistic and very helpful in defending my own cities. Before I would never build traps, but now I do to get extra damage to invading troops on my border cities.

6. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Good point. The AI needs to be made to realise this (it totally doesn't currently)

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

I have seen stacks with healers in the and before healers cost maintenance every city would have a healer. Mine would too. They are a bit too expensive to have so many now.

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Yeh, the AI used to use them as filler units everywhere because they were so cheap so they just 'happened' to be in attack stacks. Not so much now I suspect.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

The AI Did use them as Defenders In Cities and Stacks as far back as v14, not as "fillers". But once they began to have too high of a cost this usage disappeared to large degree.

I've rarely used any level of them, but I might have to this version.

JosEPh :)

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

I usually have one per attack stack and one that I try to get to the front line in the case of invasion.

11. little_cyclone

little_cyclone Loyal Civ4 & C2C mod player

Seconded. 1 in each main group that heads into enemy territory. This combined with bringing adequate siege weapons to begin with and Surround & Destroy makes for quick city attacks.

12. Necratoid

Necratoid Chieftain

I find that a quick moving unit (2 or more move) can dart in attack and dart away. This only really work if you have an 80% or better chance of attack or crazy high withdrawl. A road, hill, or forest can make this work as well.

On a side note... does any tech offer boiling oil? I just haven't seen it, though I could be oblivious.

13. Vaya

Vaya Chieftain

Hello, I did not find this anywhere so I have to ask.. Apparently I can't attack cities after I nuke them. What does nuclear weapons do with city defenses? How can I conquer nuked city???

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

There are matters of discussion here that I feel outgrow the title of this thread. So I'm starting a new one to address it.

@Vaya: is it possible that they have a building surviving in the city that demands you reduce the city defenses before you may invade? (the castle does this but I'm not yet sure if there's a building that does at that era)

15. Vaya

Vaya Chieftain

Yep, I figured that out already, I have to bombard city defenses first. The strange thing is that I can attack the city before it is nuked or bombarded (or at least game shows I can, I did not actually try it) but after I throw a nuke in there I have to bombard its defenses to be able to attack it. But that's ok. Sry for OT.