1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about longer research/era mods

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Psycho_Ivan, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Psycho_Ivan

Psycho_Ivan Warlord

I've been playing around with a slower research mod for a while (Slower Research, Longer Eras) but am unsure if I like the overall impact on the game as I haven't played around with it enough to fully figure it out and it has its problems with the AI. Seeing as folks on the Civ forums probably have way more experience than I do with playing this game, I wanted to ask a few questions and hopefully find out if there's a mod that is just right for me to slow the pace of eras a bit. ;)

First off and most likely stupidly: Do slower research mods have a significant impact on the challenge of winning the game with research? IE, because of the overall slower pace of progress through the era's would this make cultural, diplomatic and domination victories significantly better to choose from?

Would I be better off finding some sort of mod that pads out the length of eras? This maybe a difficult request to be asking for as I actually play with quite a few mods. I admit to spending far more time trying to customize the game than I ought to.

Are there any highly recommended mods for slowing down the games pace in a way that doesn't compromise the games natural balance? Not that I know how balanced the base game honestly is. :confused:

Thank you in advance to anyone who can enlighten me or point me at something. :)

2. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I had to do a lot of research speed and era stretching for my mod. I think you will have to make more turns per game speed... perhaps add a 3000 turn supermarathon speed... in order to slow research yet not have the game end in the industrial era.

It involves a lot of tinkering... I balanced one era at a time to make certain historical dates vaguely matched when techs generally arrived... printing press arrived around the 1200s or so and not 600 ad or 1900s.

Autoplay is your friend when play testing this.

I initially tried to follow the progress from one spped to the next that going from quick-standard-epic-marathon. That worked to an extent and is a good starting point. You still need to tinker.

You can also adjust research speed more universally using World.xml... that adds to the tinkering but was useful in my scenario.

Good luck.

3. Psycho_Ivan

Psycho_Ivan Warlord

I wasn't intending on experimenting with making my own slower-eras mod myself, but it sounds like you've put a lot of time and effort into it. Props to you for that and thank you for the words.

Seeing as there's not many responses here I figure I'll try out what mods I can find for this until I find one that feels right. If anyone else has input or mods they use that slow down the progression of the game to a fine point I'd love to hear about it.