Questions About Native (Indian) Settlements--Conquering, Defenders

Lost Soul 1

Chieftain
(Didn't see the questions below asked/answered elsewhere...if they have been, please provide a link to where I can find the answers.)

When conquering a Native (Indian) settlement/city, I've noticed that the amount of occupants (e.g., Braves, Armed Braves) that are listed are not the full amount during my fight. That is, say two braves are listed as the occupants of a city. I approach this city with my "army" (cannon, soldier(s), dragoon(s)) and engage in combat. After supposedly killing the last of the two listed braves, up pops another one. After killing the newly minted brave (that turn or sometimes I have to wait a turn since I didn't bring enough combatants to account for the unlisted Native), often another and then another pops up.

So, here is Question #1: How do you know/determine how many battle-worthy occupants are part of a Native settlement? Is it tied to the population count (i.e., settlement has a population of 4, but only two braves are listed as occupants--due to the population count, you should figure two unlisted braves will pop up--one at a time--when the first two are killed?)? Something else? Currently, it's just a guess how many braves I'll have to actually face with my conquering army (and I'd like to bring enough to finish off the job in one turn, if possible).

Question #2: What determines whether a converted native will be left (+ treasure) when a Native (Indian) settlement is conquered/razed due to fighting? It seems like sometimes I get a converted native, other times just a razed city (no converted native). Is the converted native "awarded" only when the conquered settlement size is "2" or greater (similar to Civ4 and city autorazing when the population is 1)?

Question #2A: What determines how much treasure (gold) is "awarded" due to conquering a Native (Indian) settlement? [I seem to recall Aztec and Incan settlements provide more treasure...true?] Is it just luck of the draw how much treasure is obtained or is it tied to Native tribe and/or settlement population?

Hope someone can de-mystify the Native settlement conquering mysteries for me.

Max...

I. It is a combination of the braves you see listed plus the village population. If there are two braves and a population of 5 you will face a total of 6 braves (the final villager doesn't fight). The first two will get a defensive 'fortify' bonus but the other four won't.

2. As far as I know both the converted native and treasure are random. It may vary according to difficulty level. Not sure about the treasure amount.

OK, thanks for the info...very helpful. I just couldn't understand why the braves kept popping up when I killed the (supposed) last one.

You're correct, the treasure amount is truly random--but still not a huge amount (at least for my current set of games: AoDII v10, Conquistador level, large map, New World).

Top Bottom