Questions about symbols.

mmmfloorpie

Chieftain
I have played Civ 4 for years but a couple symbols still have me confused as I don't understand their meanings.

The one that's been driving me the most is that black chess rook symbol that's over the city name/production bar.

Some of my cities have it, some don't.

Also, why is there an espionage symbol next to some of the AIs name's on the score bar but others don't have this? What does that mean!?

Thank you.

I have played Civ 4 for years but a couple symbols still have me confused as I don't understand their meanings.

The one that's been driving me the most is that black chess rook symbol that's over the city name/production bar.

Some of my cities have it, some don't.

This is the city power. Most likely, you have no military units in the cities that don't have it.

Also, why is there an espionage symbol next to some of the AIs name's on the score bar but others don't have this? What does that mean!?

Thank you.

You have more espionage points against the the ones with the symbol than they have towards you. The reverse is true for those without the symbol

I always thought the rook was the defense bonus :confused:

...but come to think if it, I've never understood exactly what the hammer, beaker, and coin stack signify. If I thought about it at all, I figured it meant some sort of bonus to production, research, and money, but I never knew what they actually meant.

...but come to think if it, I've never understood exactly what the hammer, beaker, and coin stack signify. If I thought about it at all, I figured it meant some sort of bonus to production, research, and money, but I never knew what they actually meant.

The rook is the defensive bonus. I debated saying that and decided to generalize my reply to power, by which I meant military power. Sorry for the confusion. It made sense to me at the time but looking at it now, what I said was not at all clear.

pretty certain they're the cities with your highest production/science/income. i've been wrong before though.

I can confirm that the hammer, beaker and coin stack do indeed signify the city with the greatest production, science and income respectively for your empire.

Okay great, thanks guys. I figured it was something like that but never really thought about it enough. :thumbsup:

Rook symbol is followed by + "x" % defense bonus in city. It gets bigger if greater culture is accumulated or walls are present so it means that black rook represents defense bonus of a city, You can confirm it by checking out the combat odds when attacking a city ;)

EDIT: beaker, gold and hammer symbols only appear when You have minimum of 3 cities (and have an apropriate option "show city details" -i think- selected in the options game menu) and they represent that given city is best in the repspective fields of gold/money (not commerce mind You) , hammer and science production. The two bars under the name represent city growth (with number of turns untill next pop will show up) and city production (with number of turns untill unit/improvement is finished). Again if You have no "detailed city view" option (or something like that) in the game menu checked the top bar will not show the number of turns left until the next pop growth ;) Hope this will clear some things for You ;) Have fun strategizing :D

On the city overview screen (the first button that shows a list of all your cities etc) with the BTS expansion what does the Red circle icon represent? It's along the top, to the right near the Great People points.

Ayeshteni

On the city overview screen (the first button that shows a list of all your cities etc) with the BTS expansion what does the Red circle icon represent? It's along the top, to the right near the Great People points.

Ayeshteni

I believe the red circle is city maintenance.

Top Bottom