Questions about the Tourism tab?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
So I go to 'World Ranking' and click on 'culture'. I go to the bottom and there's a row for each civilization, starting with mine.

There are three columns. The first one shows how many domestic tourists I have ('252').

Second column shows how many tourists I have from each civilization.

It's the third column that I find confusing. The column heading says 'visiting tourists'.

There are two numbers separated by a '/'. The first row (for my civ) shows 33/115. I get that the first number is the total of tourists I have from other civs - '33'. What is the 115?

The civs in the rows below are '9/253', '4/253', '2/253'. So the first civ has 9 tourists from other civs, yes? What is the 253?

Thanks for any info.

PS: I have an amazing civ with LOTS of culture, tourism, wonders everywhere, lots of cities.... but I only have 33 tourists from other civs? Is it tough to get a culture win or do you just have to go for it from day one?

Attachments

• rows.png
    rows.png
    239.3 KB · Views: 87
To win a cultural victory you have to attract more visiting tourists than every other's civilizations number of domestic tourists.

You seem to have 253 domestic tourists, which is why everyone else has to reach 253. You only have to reach 115, because that's the highest number of domestic tourists out of the other 3.

The first other civ has 114 domestic tourists.

So I only need to have more foreign tourists than the civ with the highest number of domestic tourists? So it's just the number from the hightest civ only, I don't have to add all the numbers from the other civs and beat that total?

That works for me. Thanks.

The first other civ has 114 domestic tourists.

So I only need to have more foreign tourists than the civ with the highest number of domestic tourists? So it's just the number from the hightest civ only, I don't have to add all the numbers from the other civs and beat that total?

That works for me. Thanks.
Yes. If 114 is the highest number of domestic tourists out of the other civs, then you would beat all the others as well.

You win when you're culturally dominant over every other civ. You become culturally dominant over a civ if you have more visiting tourists than they have domestic ones. So it's logical that you just have to get more than the highest civ that isn't you (which will also make you dominant over every one else too).

Not especially tough to get a tourism win. I've done it by accident. Starts slow as ancient tourism wasn't so big but snowballs if you keep on good terms wth other civs. No one wants to visit if you keep smashing their place up.

To make it simple:
  • 1st column is domestic Tourism. It is roughly the Culture accumulation each Civilization has, including the free Culture from Inspiration. The formula is simple: 1 domestic Tourist = 200 Culture. With 252 domestic Tourist, we can say you had accumulated 50'400 Culture so far, at least. Domestic Tourism is a good indicator of Civic Tree progress. Well it is more complicated: your domestic Tourism is reduced for each foreign Tourist other Civilization has over you from you.
  • 2nd column is foreign Tourism. It is roughly the Tourism accumulation you had over each Civilization. The formula is trickier: 1 foreign Tourism = 200 Tourism × Number of Civilization. With 9 foreign Tourism from Korea, and assuming it is a 4 players map, your lifetime accumulation Tourism from Korea should be 7200 and 7999. You can check the value by hovering your pointer over the number. It should display your current Tourism output, the lifetime Tourism, and all the modifiers. Also, each foreign Tourism you have reduced their domestic Tourism. For example, Korea should have 123 domestic Tourism if you didn't stole 9 foreign Tourism from them.
  • 3rd column is the Visiting Tourism as X/Y.
    • X is the sum of all foreign Tourist (as you said).
    • Y is the domestic Tourism of the most cultural opponent to beat (with +1). For example, you are the player with the most domestic Tourism in the game with 252, so all opponents need to beat you with 253 foreign Tourists. Meanwhile, you only have to beat the most Cultural opponent (and not you), which is Korea with 114 domestic Tourism. So you need to have 115 foreign Tourists to win the Cultural Victory.
PS: I have an amazing civ with LOTS of culture, tourism, wonders everywhere, lots of cities.... but I only have 33 tourists from other civs? Is it tough to get a culture win or do you just have to go for it from day one?

Well Tourism is an harder Victory to achieve than one expect to. How much Tourism do you generate? 1000 Tourism isn't a crazy number anymore in Gathering Storm. There are numerous way to increase Tourism, including modifiers like Open Borders, Trade Routes to other Civilization, unlock Computers & Environmentalism... The list is way too long to make an exhaustive list. I tried to made a Guide a long time ago, but I didn't finished yet (Modifiers are tricky, here the self promoting link!). But the Biosphère wonder allows to get a huge Tourism boost by allowing to put 6 Tourism TI everywhere.
Something to know: do not wipe out any Civilization in the game. Your Tourism will apply to one civilization less, making the Cultural Victory harder to achieve (the foreign Tourism are scaled on how many players there are at the start of the game, but doesn't scale down once one have been removed). If you did wipe out a couple of them, you could still trade an ancient foreign city away, wait until it flip as a free City, then liberate it to revive them into the game.

Top Bottom