1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about the WTP mod

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by yew, Dec 9, 2018.

1. yew

yew Chieftain

2. yew

yew Chieftain

The mod doesn't want to load and after loading half way it mentions something about "There are more silbings".

3. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Make sure you place one of the DLL files in Assets.

It's a different file format for compressed files. GitHub adds it automatically. If you don't know this format, then you should ignore it.

4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Warlord Supporter

I just downloaded WtP 2.7.1.1 and extracted it to the MODS folder of Colonization.

Colonization starts fine. When I select the last version of the RaR mod it starts fine. However when I chose "Advanced" and "Load a mod" and select Mod-2.7.1.1-beta6 the game crashes to desktop.

Edit: Problem has been solved - I did not have the .dll file moved to the assets folder.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Hi guys,

how are you all doing?
    Are the Civ4Col community and WtP still active?

During my recent vacation I was diving again into another of my old "all time favourites" game series due to nostalgica.
    I was amazed how active their modding community still was even after so many years.

Spoiler :

I am talking about Baldurs Gate Series.
    The modding community is really awesome.

But actually they had a really really great advantage.
    Another publisher had picked up the old series and created an "Enhanced Edition" that not only offered an improved engine but also new quests, new companions and better modding support.

As a result of that Enhanced Edition modding activity was boosted again.
    And these mods are really awesome!

When playing the game with all these mods after so many years again I felt happy like a child at christmas. :D

So I was really wondering:

A) What would happen if the Civ4Col-Community could inspire Firaxis or some other publisher to make a "Civ4Col Enhanced Edition"?
    (Ideally reusing some of the great ideas and features from RaR/WtP.)

B) What would happen then if as a consequence of that "Civ4Col Enhanced Edition" a big team of modders for Civ4Col could be started again?
    (Something like in the "Golden Days of Civ4Col-modding" when TAC and RaR where still highly active.)

Well, I know it is highly unlikely that some publisher will ever do such a "Civ4Col Enhanced Edition". :(
    (According to all I know Civ4Col was considered a sales failure.)

But sometimes I am still dreaming of those "Golden Days of Civ4Col-modding". :)

TaylorItaly and CptBadger like this.
  6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

That is a shame. It had my support and money.

CptBadger likes this.
  7. scottfreitas

scottfreitas Chieftain

The only reason it was initially a sales failure is because it was a bare-bones, cash-grab addition to Civilization 4. It should have been released as a stand-alone game (which it later became, although far too long after the fact for anyone to really care).

Firaxis isn't as smart as the Age of Empires people, that's for sure. If they were, they would eagerly grab hold of the currently-existing We the People version of Colonization, take it home to their studios and polish it up, then re-lease it as "COLONIZATION: THE DEFINITIVE EDITION".

Ideally, they would strip out the stupid "culture" mechanic stolen from Civilization, replacing it with a newly-added "Native alarm system" identical to that which existed in the original 1994 version (remember that? the colored exclamation points superimposed over native buildings, which reflected current "alarm" over your colonies, your troops and their positions, etc).

They could easily earn a couple-three millions dollars off a We The People modified version. But they won't.

Firaxis has become a boring one trick pony company, doing nothing other than re-releasing the same game (Civilization) over and over again. Worse, they often discard truly great game mechanics in newer versions, replacing them with inferior ideas.

Sad.

Hydrok9 likes this.
  8. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Civilization 4 was developed by lead developer Soren Johnson. He left Firaxis 3 months prior to the release of BTS. This means Colonization was developed under new leadership and we can see in civ5 what the new leadership wanted with the civ franchise.

On top of new leadership, I suspect there is another issue at play here. People wanted the original Colonization, but at the same time they didn't want the original Colonization. It wasn't just about remaking the old game using a modern interface. They had to make a classic, but with modern game mechanics. That's actually really difficult. It looks like it was also unrewarding because fans had possibly unrealistic expectations.

However I'm still thankful that they did make it at all because while vanilla isn't a masterpiece, it's actually not that bad. It's just not the classic Colonization for a modern computer. It has something, which is really awesome, which is the modding abilities. This means the stuff we think they didn't get right can be changed to whatever we think would be better. A lot of later games have good mod support, but good mod support was rare when the game was new. Even to this day, the level of modding freedom with internal stuff like the savegame format is highly unusual. If we look at Medieval Conquest, it added tech trees, trade routes and other stuff using mechanics, which weren't in the game. They are coded from scratch, complete with xml interface and savegame support for new classes/concepts. Any game engine, which grants this level of modding freedom is unusually good.

In short term, the vanilla quality was what affected sales. What I believe affect sales today is the mod support. The game keeps being new despite using an engine, which was released in 2005.

rah and ConjurerDragon like this.