Questions about willful vassals

OTAKUjbski

TK421
These questions relate specifically to AI civs who willfully (peacefully) become Vassal states of a player.

• <snip> (see below)

• Under what conditions can the Vassal break from the Master?

• Under what conditions can the Master break way the Vassal?

If none, how can the Master 'encourage' the Vassal to break the agreement?​

• Do techs researched by the Master automatically get gifted to the Vassal?

• Do techs researched by the Vassal automatically get gifted to the Master?

OK ... I"m stupid ... those questions quoted are invalid ... here's the scenario that has me thinking weird thoughts:

I just finished researching Astronomy but can't trade it to my Vassal.

At first, I misunderstood this as me automatically gifting the new techs to him, because they left the "can research" column and didn't reappear in the "wants" column.

However, now I noticed on the next turn, I can trade Astronomy to him. :confused:

----

What gives? Is there a one turn limit or something to trading new techs?

These questions relate specifically to AI civs who willfully (peacefully) become Vassal states of a player.

• <snip> (see below)

• Under what conditions can the Vassal break from the Master?

• Under what conditions can the Master break way the Vassal?

If none, how can the Master 'encourage' the Vassal to break the agreement?​

A voluntary vassal has the option to break-off every 10 turns. I think the capitulated rules (50% land/population) also apply. By this I mean if the conditions became true, the vassal could decide right there and then if they wanted to break instead of waiting 10 turns. That's just a guess though.

The master cannot break the agreement. If you cause enough diplomatic hits, that will probably accelerate their departure. Still, there's no guarantee.

Actually there is one way a Master can break with ALL his vasals.
But it requires him to capitulate to someone he's at war with.

Under both 3.13 or Bhuric's the capitulation process will set all his vasals free.

The difference is that 3.13 (and some of the early versions of Bhruic's patch) will give all his vasals a free peace treaty before seting them free.
Under the later versions of Bhuric's patch, they are set free before the peace treaty and so his ex-vasals are still at war.

In my current game during the major contential wide war, my main oppoent (Rome : Julius) had a long time voluntary vasal (Cartharge). After I took enough of Rome's cities Cartharge renouced his vassalge to Rome. But this didn't get him out of the war.
In fact a couple of turns later Rome surrendered to me.

Carthage though remained at war ("You must be joking" was what was highlighted on Carthage until I took two of his towns as well, at which point he surrendered as well.)

Voluntary vassals are often times nations you have good relationship with that feel threatened by very strong neighbors and will want your protection as to not be wiped off the face of the earth. As long as they have a serious threat they wont want to break off.

Top Bottom