1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Rhye, Jul 8, 2006.

1. doctorfrog

doctorfrog Chieftain

Hi, I'd like to know the answer to this myself. (Question being: where can I download and use the terrain graphics from RFC in a normal game?)

I don't care for Blue Marble, it looks like a rendering of a zombie world. RFC's terrain looks nicer and less cartoony than the original graphics. It's also ahead of its time, since it looks like Civ5 seems to be moving toward some of Rhye's color and tone choices.

I've already checked Rhye's profile page, which lists all files he has for download, and a separate mod for his terrain files only is not among them. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/member.php?u=1321)

Someone, please assist me in either extracting and using the terrain files from RFC on my own, or direct me to the proper download for a separate mod? Thanks in advance.

2. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

Looking at the code...
    Spoiler :
    Code:
    		if (iCurrentTurn == iBirthYear + self.getSpawnDelay(iCiv)) and (gc.getPlayer(iCiv).isAlive()) and (self.getAlreadySwitched() == False) and (iHuman+tDifference[iHuman] < iCiv):
    			self.newCivPopup(iCiv)   

appears at the end of initBirth in RiseAndFall.py. Try removing that self.getAlreadySwitched == False condition, replacing those lines with
    Code:
    		if (iCurrentTurn == iBirthYear + self.getSpawnDelay(iCiv)) and (gc.getPlayer(iCiv).isAlive()) and (iHuman+tDifference[iHuman] < iCiv):
    			self.newCivPopup(iCiv)   

3. JiimBV

JiimBV Afro Samurai

In order to win the UHV as Ethiopia one must found one religion. What religion is this supposed to represent? Ethiopian animism?

4. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

Most civs have a UHV goal that they never really achieved. For Ethiopia it's just all three of them.

5. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Chieftain

I'm guessing it's to represent how the Ethiopians were the first to accept Christianity as their state religion. As a UHV this seems much too easy so I guess Rhye wanted them to have a harder time.

6. JiimBV

JiimBV Afro Samurai

Oh, all right. Thanks guys!

7. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Did anyone ever compile a list of which civs receive certain free buildings when founding a new city and so on? The reqs. etc.? Someone must have asked this before me :)

8. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Chieftain

Yeah it depends on the civ's spawn date I think.
    For example all civs that start before the vikings don't receive any free buildings.
    Vikings, Arabs, Khmer, Spanish, French, English, German, Russian and Dutch cities get harbor, granary and another building I think when they spawn. Civs spawning after the Netherlands receive few more buildings but I don't remember which. I may be off on some civs like maybe there's another in the Vikings to Netherlands list and maybe one of them Receives more free buildings than the others I'm not quite sure.

9. Samson

Samson Warlord

And I THINK the colonial civs get extra buildings in the new world that they do not get at home, forges and perhaps another. ICBW.

10. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

The trigger for the colonial civs isn't the new world; it's learning Astronomy.

A list was compiled in this thread.

11. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately it didnt work. Anyone else know whether its possible, and if so, how? (changing civ more than once)

Oh, and thx all for the answers on the free buildings :)

EDIT: Nevermind the first part, I just forgot that you cant change between civs that are too close to each other in spawning, it works just fine :)

12. ViniMGS

ViniMGS Chieftain

Is it normal for the AI to cheat? I mean the Chinese discovered writing 1 turn before Babylon (me) and they didn't have pottery researched. Insted, they reaserched hunting and animal husbandry. Oh, that was on VICEROY. Isn't viceroy supposed to be the easiest level?

Attached Files:

13. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Spoiler :
    There are 3 ways to get to Writing, Pottery is only one of them. Animal Husbandry or Priesthood are the others.

Yes, Viceroy is supposed to be the easiest level. I personally have never played it though so I can't speak from experience.

14. ViniMGS

ViniMGS Chieftain

I'm really sorry. It's that i'm just used to get writing with pottery and I was mad because it's the 10th time China beats me to writing.

15. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

I think I recall someone mentioning that the Babylonian UHV actually was HARDER on viceroy than Monarch. I have no idea why that should be, but that could explain your frustration. Maybe somebody else has a better memory than me - or knowledge about playing Babylonia.

16. Mazzini

Mazzini Chieftain

Here's how I just did India in the latest RFC:

1. Found Lahore on sugar, work 1f2h tile to build warrior ASAP.
    2. Both warriors beeline to China. Use free barb wins to try and get some EXP. I had 2 warriors ready to invade China on turn 29, one of which had CR1 from a barb win. You need China to have only 1 warrior defending Beijing, which they usually will unless they pop one from a hut. This time China's Archer was 4 turns away. I sacrificed the non-upgraded warrior, which gave the CR1 guy 47% to win. He won and Beijing was razed.
    3. Research Masonry/ After initial warrior Lahore switches to food/commerce tiles and builds worker, who will come out around when Masonry is done. I chose this over finishing growing and building the worker so I could have marble hooked up ASAP. The temporary sacrifice to research will be made up by the marble commerce.
    4. Lahore builds another warrior or two to pop huts/contact Europe while Quarry is being built. One of these ends up popping fishing. Tech path: Polytheism -> Monotheism -> Meditation -> Priesthood -> Writing
    5. When Polytheism finishes, start Temple of Artemis in Lahore
    6. When Priesthood finishes, switch to Oracle in Lahore
    7. Time Oracle to finish when Writing finishes. Pop Mathematics for Confucianism
    8. First Prophet should be arriving soon- bulb half of Theology, and finish ToA in Lahore.
    9. With Oracle and ToA you will have nearly enough GPP to pop the 2nd prophet in time to finish Theo- if it's close you can build a library and run a scientist or two. I ended up growing my city and building a settler to found Dilli, and my 2nd Prophet arrived at turn 146 to pop Theo.
    10. Believe it or not, this is where it actually got hard. I managed to trade for sailing/agriculture/pottery/bronze from Euros, but had to self-research iron, which took forever since i had no improved land. Elephants started showing up around turn 150 and I fought them, believe it or not, but just throwing assloads of warriors at them. I'd let them attack cities with several warriors to soften them up and then attack the elephants when they were weakened. One city was besieged by an elephant for many many turns because it kept killing warriors and promoting before it was weak enough to be killed by my warriors. Once you can get Iron up and actually settle the indian subcontinent, the population goal is very each since China is dead. Rome will be the main competitor and they'll collapse by 1200 AD a lot of the time.

My main hangup in this was actually trying to found Theo with Oracle and pick up Math by research or with a very lucky GS... but alas, someone always beat me to math/calendar because my research was so bad due to unimproved and and a GS was so unlikely... SO I bit the bullet and used 2 GPs for Theo. I admit I was lucky to kill China and get the initial 3 religions, but has anyone beaten this UHV without a heaping helping of same?

17. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Noobish question: The Sistine Chapel, is the plus to culture to state religion buildings fixed, so that it stays that way forever, or can it change when you change your state religion? Fx. if you build it while being buddhist, and then change state religion later?

EDIT: Oh and same goes for The Spiral Minaret and Univ. of Sankore?

18. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

The Apostolic Palace is locked to the religion it was founded as. Sistine, SM, and Sankore all depend on your current state religion for their bonuses; if you change, so does the associated religion.

19. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Thank you :) Knew about the AP but wasn't sure about these.

20. Magnificent One

Magnificent One Stetsons are cool.

If you make the Vikings your vassals as Germany,does that count as owning Scandinavia in the UHV screen,or do i still need to take them over?