Questions from a Civ player who doesn't own Civ 5...yet

billybgame

King
I'm really pondering finally getting Civ 5. I was so scared off by the bad pub and stuff early on, and I loved Civ 4 so much, I just chalked it off as a no buy.

But, reading good things about the spruced up version nowadays, so thinking of buying.

What I want to know is, do we have something similar here to Civ 4 with the Quatromasters and Elite Quatromasters? I looked at the HoF page and did not see. That was always fun to have goals in all the categories. If not, why not, after all this time?

Also, if I do, what is the bomb mod to have? I can't even stand playing vanilla Civ 4, once I sarted using BUFFY.

Once I get it, I'm sure I'll have more questions. But, just wondering about those things, as I decide.

Civ4 is the best iteration of the series and I played it with the BUFFY mod also for years.
But at some point the game becomes repetitive.
After a long break and with civ6 releasing in october this year, I've tried civ5 again. After one full game I've already deleted BNW. Civ5 is simply boring and the AI is very bad.

My advice : wait for civ6.
I'm very positive, but I've doubts on combat and not enough land to build disctricts + other improvements.

I'm really pondering finally getting Civ 5. I was so scared off by the bad pub and stuff early on, and I loved Civ 4 so much, I just chalked it off as a no buy.

But, reading good things about the spruced up version nowadays, so thinking of buying.

What I want to know is, do we have something similar here to Civ 4 with the Quatromasters and Elite Quatromasters? I looked at the HoF page and did not see. That was always fun to have goals in all the categories. If not, why not, after all this time?

Also, if I do, what is the bomb mod to have? I can't even stand playing vanilla Civ 4, once I sarted using BUFFY.

Once I get it, I'm sure I'll have more questions. But, just wondering about those things, as I decide.

Can't answer your questions about mods and stuff, but would definitely encourage you to buy it. Like you, I was a loyal Civ4 man, tried the demo for Civ5 when it came out and hated it. Then this June I picked up Civ5 complete edition for like £12.

Totally worth it. With all the expansions and DLC's there's tons of gameplay in there. Whilst the powergamers have homed in on the optimal strategies, there are IMO way more ways to skin the Civ5 cat than in Civ4, so many options with social policies and religions etc. So many different ways to play each Civ. Now I don't miss 4 at all, and I've been playing 5 non-stop.

Actually, the only thing I miss from 4 is slavery. I really miss being able to whip away my unhappiness and rush build that early wonder at the same time. I still want to do it almost every game :)

Just to give a contrary opinion, I think Civ5 is the best iteration of the series, and by a wide margin.

You can pick up V Complete pretty cheaply if you wait for one of the semi-annual sales. I have no confidence that the initial release of VI will be better polished than V or IV or III was. If you start playing V now, that should carry you through to the first major patch of VI. Like MS wrote, there is a ton of gameplay.

Unlike MS, and most of the IV fans I suppose, I absolutely hated the gamely, broken (OP), and unrealistic slavery mechanic in IV. Good riddance!

Recently got Civ 5 and still haven't explored it much. My suggestion is to get the Vox Populi mod (Community Patch Project). Improves the AI, brings Civ 4 diplomacy, balances and changes quite a few things. Absolutely great mod. You can check out all the details here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Civ 4 was my favorite and probably the one I spent playing the most, however I don't think I could come back to the Stacks of Doom and suciding catapults.

I got it on Steam Summer sale a month ago, it's definitely worth it. Don't let all the hate scare you off.

Now for a completely different view. I tried civ iv vanilla and hated it and didn't start playing V until just before BNW. With all the mods and I run upwards of sixty of them you can create a very nice game experience.

As long as you like one unit per tile, I recommend buying the game and some of the expansion packs. I have over 4000 hours played on Civ 5. As far as I'm concerned it's the best Civ game around.

Since Civ 6 is coming out soon so you should probably be able to get 5 on sale pretty easily. Though you might have to wait a little for that.

Recently got Civ 5 and still haven't explored it much. My suggestion is to get the Vox Populi mod (Community Patch Project). Improves the AI, brings Civ 4 diplomacy, balances and changes quite a few things. Absolutely great mod. You can check out all the details here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497

Civ 4 was my favorite and probably the one I spent playing the most, however I don't think I could come back to the Stacks of Doom and suciding catapults.

I got it on Steam Summer sale a month ago, it's definitely worth it. Don't let all the hate scare you off.

Vox Populi is obviously one of the best conversion mod (But not the only one) Meanning all is different compare to the originale Civ5BNW

For a new player I suggest instead Acken's minimalistic Mod.
The goal of this one is to keep the gameplay untouched with better AI and balance approach
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=550671

Thanks for all the replies....I did end up getting a real good deal off Ebay, getting Complete for less than $10...just an activation code for Steam, but heck, guess that's about all you get in a box, anyhow.

Got the game installed, and giving it a go. Not real pleased, so far. I thought the bugginess was fixed, over the years? Seems very buggy. I move a warrior, and instead of going to End Turn, it sits there for quite a long time. Lots of delay. I sure miss the ability to "end turn" from Civ 4. Am I missing something? It's actually bordering on being unplayable, for me.

Granted, I am using a Win 7, 4 GB Ram laptop. But, Civ 4 always ran fine, and I assume it can handle this game, as well.

At first I thought maybe my resources were being stressed, so rebooted, and restarted game with nothing else running.....same exact delays.

Anyone got any tips or ideas?

Edit: The game screen scrolls around very smoothly....it's just when moving units that it really seems to be non-responsive or extremely slow responding. So, it doesn't seem that's it's a an issue of my laptop not handling it.

Thanks for all the replies....I did end up getting a real good deal off Ebay, getting Complete for less than $10...just an activation code for Steam, but heck, guess that's about all you get in a box, anyhow.

Got the game installed, and giving it a go. Not real pleased, so far. I thought the bugginess was fixed, over the years? Seems very buggy. I move a warrior, and instead of going to End Turn, it sits there for quite a long time. Lots of delay. I sure miss the ability to "end turn" from Civ 4. Am I missing something? It's actually bordering on being unplayable, for me.

Granted, I am using a Win 7, 4 GB Ram laptop. But, Civ 4 always ran fine, and I assume it can handle this game, as well.

At first I thought maybe my resources were being stressed, so rebooted, and restarted game with nothing else running.....same exact delays.

Anyone got any tips or ideas?

Edit: The game screen scrolls around very smoothly....it's just when moving units that it really seems to be non-responsive or extremely slow responding. So, it doesn't seem that's it's a an issue of my laptop not handling it.

Have you tried turning on quick movement?

Civ 5 is much more demanding than civ 4 was in terms of computer power.

Try using a small map (with the default 6 civs) and see if that works better. I find my GF's laptop can't really handle standard size, and the behavior is somewhat similar to what you describe.

The weirdest thing I'm now noticing is it hangs up like that, but if I hit the Windows button, it's like it wakes up game and Next Turn finally appears. Weird.

Edit: Same thing goes for just getting the active unit's options to show up....ridiculous how bad it's working. And, I played random and think there's only 4 civs.

Edit again: I give up....not fun. I do plan to get a new laptop at some point....guess we'll see if it works better then...pretty much an exercise in frustration right now. It better get a hell of a lot better, or I just don't get how anyone can like this version of Civ and how it runs.

The weirdest thing I'm now noticing is it hangs up like that, but if I hit the Windows button, it's like it wakes up game and Next Turn finally appears. Weird.

Edit: Same thing goes for just getting the active unit's options to show up....ridiculous how bad it's working. And, I played random and think there's only 4 civs.

Can you post your specs?

Here I am again....posting an update.....have not played since posting here last....but Santa brought me a new/used laptop with 8 GB RAM and a much faster processor. Game works fine now....at least so far.....learning as I go now.

Trying to decide if I should immediately go with a Mod, or stick with Vanilla for awhile.

Here I am again....posting an update.....have not played since posting here last....but Santa brought me a new/used laptop with 8 GB RAM and a much faster processor. Game works fine now....at least so far.....learning as I go now.

Trying to decide if I should immediately go with a Mod, or stick with Vanilla for awhile.

Nothing wrong going either way. In case you decide to mod this is the best mod (IMO):

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/community-patch-project.497/

I played and adored all the civs, however I'm very disappointed with civ 6's AI who only shuffle around in war, not knowing how to capture city.
Civ 5 with CP ai patch and JFD’s 60 new civs makes civ 5 a grandmaster piece with immense crazy ai which flanks up to 5 different positions and make good use of their siege and range, giving you the thrills when u r up against the AI even at very low difficulty levels. Awesome replayability, credits to the developers/modders of CP and JFD’s! :snowlaugh::xmascheers:

I played and adored all the civs, however I'm very disappointed with civ 6's AI who only shuffle around in war, not knowing how to capture city.
Civ 5 with CP ai patch and JFD’s 60 new civs makes civ 5 a grandmaster piece with immense crazy ai which flanks up to 5 different positions and make good use of their siege and range, giving you the thrills when u r up against the AI even at very low difficulty levels. Awesome replayability, credits to the developers/modders of CP and JFD’s! :snowlaugh::xmascheers:

I just installed Civ V and after playing for a short time find it to be dulled down from IV....Can you please provide information where to find links for these mods ? Thxxxx :)

Civ V is the only Civ game that forces me to raze nearly all AI cities. And the only Civ game with a lot of of unsettled land in the Industrial era. It is worth to give it a try but it has its flaws.

S.

Top Bottom