Questions from a seven year old - help!

Mathilda

Queen
I need some help. My seven year old can come up with more questions than I can answer. We've today (just as an example) gone through human evolution, development of languages and writing and where do trees come from.
This next one I'm stuck with.
Does everything have tiny holes in it?
As in on molecular level.
Can air get through them holes? Why not?
Answers in a language understandable by a seven year old, thanks :)

Everything, even something as seemingly solid as a rock, is actually a collection of atoms. Some things arent as dense as rock and theres enough space between the atoms for air molecules to pass through.

Everything has some vacuum in it. Air is itself made up of molecules, atoms, and vacuum - but that may not be what the child is referring to.

Helium-filled balloons deflate quicker than air-filled balloons because the particles are smaller and can escape through holes in the rubbery surface. I suspect this could be the inspiration behind the original question.

I think it was the Ancient Greeks who believed everything was made up of tiny three-dimensional shapes. I have forgotten what they called those shapes, but their philosophical answer may be most appropriate. It also changes the subject ;)

Yes, but not detailed enough.
Can air get through a window?
How about hair?
What can it get through and what not?

Bozo Erectus said:
Everything, even something as seemingly solid as a rock, is actually a collection of atoms. Some things arent as dense as rock and theres enough space between the atoms for air molecules to pass through.
And what are atoms?

Mathilda said:
And what are atoms?
Oh I see...hmm. You might be able to explain atoms this way: if you look at a shirt from a regular distance, it looks like a solid sheet of material. But if you bring it very close to your eyes and look carefully, you can see that its actually made of many tiny strings that are woven together. Atoms are like that, but you would have to look much, much closer, using a very powerful magnifying glass (so you dont have to explain what a microscope is) to see the individual atoms that make up a solid looking object like a table.

Well done BE, we're happy with that :)

Atoms are the tiny bits that make up almost everything. Then you can explain that atoms are made up of protons, electrons and neutrons. Er... it just gets worse.

Mathilda said:
If the molecules are small enough to fit in between the molecules or atoms of another substance I think it can pass through. Sole molecules are gases, and therefore can get through some substances. Groups of molecules have much harder to fit through the holes as they are connected with the rest and everything might not get through.

Mathilda said:
I don't think so. Glass is actually a very thick liquid, and therefore I imagine that air-molecules will be stoped.
Mathilda said:
How about hair?
Hair are made of lots of molecules and therefore needs a much larger hole than sole molecules (in gases) to pass through.
Mathilda said:

Mathilda said:
And what are atoms?
Atoms are almost the smallest things we know of. Everything is built up from atoms. Lots and lots of atoms makes up an object, just as lots and lots of hairs makes up the hair a person has on ones head. Things can pass between the atoms if they are small enough just as some things can pass between ones hairs.

... I think. :)

Mathilda said:
How about hair?
Everything has a structure, but to describe accurately would be too complicated for a seven year old and he would not have the resources to observe what is discussed.

I do not think mentioning crystalline structures or carbon chains would be beneficial ;)

At a more easily observed level, everything living thing is still made up of smaller cells. There are gaps between cells. Does he have a microscope?

Bozo Erectus said:
Oh I see...hmm. You might be able to explain atoms this way: if you look at a shirt from a regular distance, it looks like a solid sheet of material. But if you bring it very close to your eyes and look carefully, you can see that its actually made of many tiny strings that are woven together. Atoms are like that, but you would have to look much, much closer, using a very powerful magnifying glass (so you dont have to explain what a microscope is) to see the individual atoms that make up a solid looking object like a table.
Ah... well done :thumbsup:

No, we don't have a microscope.
I was trying to look online if I'd find some website that would explain things with clear enough graphics, but most things seem to be targeted at bit older kids, like secondary school, where you'd actually learn about the stuff.

Cheetah said:
I don't think so. Glass is actually a very thick liquid, and therefore I imagine that air-molecules will be stoped.
Yeah, right. Try to explain that to the average adult :mischief: .
That's about as futile as trying to explain that antibiotics cannot kill a virus, since a virus doesn't exactly live...

Curious kids are awfully cute! I wish i saw this thread before his curiosity was satisfied :)

Glass is classified as an amorphous solid rather than a liquid, though it does move slowly and has a high level of viscosity.

Check it out on wiki if you don't trust me.

Edit: It appears that even the flowing of glass may not be true. Damn my public school science teachers!

Depends how curious. My toys were frequently dismantled to see how they worked, but rarely were they put together again. At least one of my friends treated small animals with similar interest :sad:

feline_dacat said:
Curious kids are awfully cute! I wish i saw this thread before his curiosity was satisfied :)
Don't worry, I think I'll be back with more later...

Yeah, they're cute allright, when I'm not the one getting to answer all the questions. Sometimes they don't even listen to the answer to a complicated question before asking the next one. Other times they want to know everything there is about a subject.

Top Bottom