Questions of Hell Terrain, Religion, & Dumb workers.

LegioCorvus

Prince
Just a few questions that I've been curious about and have come up in my last few games:

1) How does Hell Terrain start? For my latest game I'm playing Luchuirp with the intention of getting the AC to 100. I found the Ashen Vail religion, but stuck with RoK for diplo and keeping my slider at 100%. Spread AV like crazy, but no one switched to it until the last few turns (~400). So far I haven't seen it anywhere.

Does it have to start in the Civ that founded the AV? I'm hoping it will start appearing in Doviello lands, but I'm currently at war with the rest of the world and don't want to enter World Builder to check. I'm already at Future Tech, and Omniscience hasn't shown any Hell Terrain on the map.

2) What does it take to get people to change religion? My last game had me going for a religious victory. Some players would be willing to switch religions, even if they founded the OO like Lanun. Others would never switch, despite not founding a religion. Some would even waver back and forth. I found a minimal correlation with diplo modifiers, but even then (for example) the Elohim would switch to Empyrean and stick with it, despite being my vassals, at Friendly, and having more cities with RoK than Empyrean. I was even the one to found the Empyrean.

Won that game by finally killing Ljosofar, if anyone is curious.

3)
Recent 100 AC game had me at war with the Ljoso again. they sent 64 priests with 64 tigers at me. (Plus Yvain, etc, etc...) Annoying, but manageable. Except I had set my workers/Mud Golems to network mode after improving every tile of land in 18 cities, just to keep them busy. All of a sudden they had a death wish, and one decided to build a road on desert terrain right in front of the invading army.

Now, I left that desert unpaved to slow down armies like this, and it's my fault for not realizing they would try to pave it... but shouldn't they know better than to stand in front of armies that we're at war with? I know they can defend as Mud Golems, but still. I figured it was a one time mistake in path finding, but the 10 turns later another muddy did the same exact thing in front of the 64 tigers that somehow got lost.

Naturally I took them off auto-network, but I'm curious if this is just random happenstance, a regular occurrence, and/or a legacy from BtS AI programs.

~
Preemptive thanks for any and all answers. :goodjob:

1. you need to summon the Infernal to spread Hell.
2. workers are dumb, yes.

I think that 'normal' workers (not mud golems) would behave more cowardly...

Hell terrain (in the form of a higher counter) will spread under snow/tundra. The best way to find this out is to be the Illians and watch as all your resources are changed to the hell equivalents. Pretty irritating and a good reason to nip the spread of AV in the bud. Or at least wipe out the Infernal within a few turns of them appearing. A side effect of this is not having to deal with hell terrain and having StW. :)

Ah, that explains the hell terrain.

The only time I've purposely tried to spread it has been with Sheiam, which I rarely play. I just gave in this game and switched to summon them. Lost my heroes, but they came back when I returned to RoK via Order (to return to Good alignment).

So anyone understand the mechanics for convincing other Civs to switch religions?

As for the why...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the AI for each civ is weighted for or against the various religions, and that some of those values are extremely high or low. For example, the Ljosofar are heavily weighted for FoL and the Sheaim are heavily weighted against Order.

I also seem to remember that these values were adjusted in one of the "more recent" patches (i.e. coded on tape drives as opposed to the earlier punch card ones ;) ). If that is the case, then perhaps one of the modders who worked on it could tell you how you might further adjust those values for your own enjoyment.

As for the why...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the AI for each civ is weighted for or against the various religions, and that some of those values are extremely high or low. For example, the Ljosofar are heavily weighted for FoL and the Sheaim are heavily weighted against Order.

Ah, thanks.

That would explain a lot. Seems kind of odd the Lanun aren't more heavily weighted towards OO, as in my religious game they had the Holy City and were easy to convert and never switched back.

Also, Emptiness, I know what you mean about a Civ switching back 'n' forth. (From your link). The Doviello are currently switching back 'n' forth between Order & AV whenever possible. So are their masters, the Bannor under Decius, but not as often.

I also seem to remember that these values were adjusted in one of the "more recent" patches (i.e. coded on tape drives as opposed to the earlier punch card ones ;) ). If that is the case, then perhaps one of the modders who worked on it could tell you how you might further adjust those values for your own enjoyment.

There are religion preference values in either the civilizations XML file or the Leaders XML file. Not sure if they are in any other files.

The Elohim probably built a religious hero (I guess Chalid?) and didn't want to lose him. Once a civ pumps out a relgion specific hero (and possibly a high level religion specific unit) they will never switch back. I had tried a religious victory of this nature once and had to send some dwarven shadows to kill the hero before they would switch.

Top Bottom