Questions.. Questions..

DocRock

Prince
So I'm having some questions..

1) At the screenshot you might see my problem. These are not my Horsemen. I am not at war with Teddy, he is actually my ally with Open Borders. But he is not moving his army. I cannot get my GE to my mines, I cannot move my builders, I cannot do anything in my own empire. And he is not moving! Besides the fact that he uses an army of Horsemen in 1300 AD - what should I do?

realm.jpg

[/IMG] 2) So next one - Cultural Victory. Here are two screens. As you can see I'm at 119/271. I assume when I reach the latter number, I win. Somehow. But it seems I got 264 tourism, right? And somehow that Kongo guy has 270? So he was ahead of me the whole game but then I checked the popups. He is having 134 tourism, while I am having 568!? So why has he more on the first number? And why didn't I win already with such a huge advantage?

tourism1.jpg tourism2.jpg

Thanks!

edit: Forgot one question.

3) I have no Oil and there is like 1 Oil on my whole continent. How am I supposed to build modern stuff? There is simply next to no oil in my game.

1] That's why I don't like open borders, ever since they were introduced into the series. And I'm not certain if a war is declared that his units will be moved out in Civ VI.
2] The number on those screens represent the number of tourists, not culture. You are correct that the victory is won when you meet/exceed that number. It is one visiting tourist more than the player with the most at home (Kongo has 270 at home so to win, you must get one more than that visiting you = 271). The mechanics on tourist movement is not transparent however. And those numbers can change turn by turn.
3] Settle a city there. In my first game, I had the great person that revealed the oil early and I just didn't see any in my borders. Then I went looking around the map and found six altogether. I was just nearing my chosen spot for the last settler I planned when I found two oil far up north on the continent, versus my southern lands. I changed directions and then settled that area for the oil. None of the AI settled any oil on the map before I won the game.

Remember you really only need one copy of a strategic resource since there is a civic card that will make any strategic resource count as two and an encampment district will do the same.

Wow, that's bad. I always felt that other civs moving units through your territory should not be able to impede your civilians. Your civilians should simply ignore any (edit: friendly) units that are in your own lands.

1. Open borders doesn't matter to religious units who can also spam the hell out of you and impede your moving. While the religious combat system is interesting I still think such units should not be able to freely run all over the place without penalty (like attrition or something unless welcomed) or there should be civics/buildings/something to do to prevent religion units from entering your turf.

2. You don't actually win a culture victory, you win via tourism, which is more nebulous. The numbers are tourism/culture. Culture defends against tourism.

3. RNG is RNG. I've had some very large empires (18-20 spaced cities) and still not had various strategic resources within a city border. It can happen. Play with abundant resources (advanced setup when creating a game) to reduce the odds, I guess.

I also have a question. Is there anywhere to see a breakdown of where GPP are coming from? Or do we just have to know these things by tediously studying each building's effects?

Sad but the open borders thing reminds me of Civilization. Aka Civ 1. It was so annoying to have a foreign unit in your land and being able to do nothing about it. Finally we get boarders in Civ 3 but the unit spam in Civ 6 with 1UPT means I only will open boarders with an overseas neighbor.

I had an entire continent I had conquered and had 1 oil in the far south. I had to build a settler just for that alone. Was a decent city but still silly that there is 1 oil for the 4 of us on our landmass. This is on standard settings with a standard map with 8 players.

I also have a question. Is there anywhere to see a breakdown of where GPP are coming from? Or do we just have to know these things by tediously studying each building's effects?

There is a lot I wish we could see. Almost makes me want a SQL window or something on the side where I can query what is causing what.

1) Welcome to the joy of 1UPT. The lack of peaceful civilian/military stacking is asinine. This is why I never give open borders to the AI, ever. In IV, doing so was fine. Not in V or VI. This is just a big flaw in the game.

2) I don't think anyone understands how the number of domestic tourists is calculated, but it's not based on tourism output.

3) Ouch, but strategic resources need to be rare if they are to make a meaningful contribution to gameplay. There's a great merchant (Rockefeller I think) who grants 1 free Oil. You could save up faith or gold and buy him.

I got Sumerian army sitting inside my borders while NOT having open borders. He wouldn't move. He was my ally if that makes any difference. Pretty annoying bug.

I do not know why it is so difficult to allow friendly civs to overlap units on each other. At least overlap non-military and military units. Why can they never do this in any Civ? Is it impossible to code?

Well thanks for the answers, at least I'm not the only one with those issues. I never had a problem with open borders in 5, at least not to that extend. I hope they'll fix their game soon... until then, it's no open border for anyone..

Alliance gives open borders as per civilopedia

And yet there's an option for them on the trade table? Which you can trade? And their borders don't look open visually? Weird.

1. I've never experienced something like that. Doesn't look pretty. Is he going somewhere? Probably declared war to somewhere on your south and your empire is the only way through?

In any case, close/block your borders.

2. A complete mystery. All we've got at this point are theories.

One thing is clear, you are on your way to winning a Cultural victory, and the way to speed it up is by just increasing tourism.

3. Oil, Coal, Iron, Uranium... you'll probably never have all you need/want.

This is Civ after all.

Wow, that's bad. I always felt that other civs moving units through your territory should not be able to impede your civilians. Your civilians should simply ignore any (edit: friendly) units that are in your own lands.

Very good suggestion. Often thought the same myself.

1) Welcome to the joy of 1UPT. The lack of peaceful civilian/military stacking is asinine. This is why I never give open borders to the AI, ever. In IV, doing so was fine. Not in V or VI. This is just a big flaw in the game.

*yawn* Is world hunger also to blame for 1 UPT?

Not being able to stack civilian and military units, or just plain ignoring friendly units in your own lands has NOTHING to do with design choice of 1 UPT. They are ancillary rules that can easily be added.

*yawn* Is world hunger also to blame for 1 UPT?

Not being able to stack civilian and military units, or just plain ignoring friendly units in your own lands has NOTHING to do with design choice of 1 UPT. They are ancillary rules that can easily be added.

Oh I agree, this is hardly a fatal flaw of 1UPT. They could slightly loosen the stacking rules and totally solve these problems. The fact remains, however, that's it been six years since 1UPT was introduced, and they never have. And the civilian traffic jams are really, really annoying.

Oh I agree, this is hardly a fatal flaw of 1UPT. They could slightly loosen the stacking rules and totally solve these problems. The fact remains, however, that's it been six years since 1UPT was introduced, and they never have. And the civilian traffic jams are really, really annoying.

I am very hopeful about the AI issues this time round. Civ 5 was launched missing a ton of features that we have come to expect. Therefore expansion packs tended to focus on completing the game. Civ 6 has practically everything included already. I think there is a good chance that the developers will be doing a huge AI project as part of an expansion. One reason it was put on the back burner right now is probably because they knew a number of balancing tweaks will be needed to the base game. You can only really rebuild/improve the AI once the basic balance has been sorted out.

Besides, not believing AI will be improved is not a weak argument against 1 UPT. Stacks literally have no benefit other than it avoids AI stupidity better. Rather spend your energy pushing Firaxis to do the work required on the AI. It is likely to be far more productive because 1 UPT provides tons of interesting tactical gameplay that stacks can never provide.

I know Firaxis has this habit of getting a new face to do expansion packs but I think it is absolutely critical for Ed Beach to be involved for longer. Getting Civ 6 out the door, practically feature complete and working as well as it does was an amazing feat. You don't replace a genius because of an arbitrary company policy. His work on Civ 6 is worthy of some "Developer of the Year" awards imho.

Top Bottom