1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions regarding Emperor

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by shl7070, Mar 15, 2011.

1. shl7070

shl7070 Chieftain

After improving my game I regularly crush the AI on monarch-by conquest/domination using any civ on most settings and I think it may be time to promote.

I have some questions regarding strategy at emperor

1) Can I retain the loose cxxxc build or I must move to cxxc?

2) Can I use the mid-ancient rush strat on Emperor? Now when expansion phase is closing I start build massive military like 14 vet archers or 10 vet swords, invade the closest civ's core and take the capital gaining prime land for later building.

3) Can I reach philosophy first on emperor and if I can should I try building great library?, until now I didn't build the great library.

4) How to defend against tanks?, until now I had at least half-era tech lead in IA on monarch, now expecting the opposite.

5) How to deal with early happiness problem? use the first warrior as MP or use lux rate?

6) What civ to take for agressive strategy?, now I prefer varous scientific civs.

7) What are the best settings for the map for the first game?

2. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

"shl7070"

"1) Can I retain the loose cxxxc build or I must move to cxxc?"

Don't see why not, but I use CxxC at all levels.

"2) Can I use the mid-ancient rush strat on Emperor? Now when expansion phase is closing I start build massive military like 14 vet archers or 10 vet swords, invade the closest civ's core and take the capital gaining prime land for later building."

Likely

"3) Can I reach philosophy first on emperor and if I can should I try building great library?, until now I didn't build the great library."

You can get philo, if no huts, sometimes even with huts. No need to make the GLB, unless it is going to be a lot of warring.

"4) How to defend against tanks?, until now I had at least half-era tech lead in IA on monarch, now expecting the opposite."

You should be first to tanks on Emperor or right close to them. If it is a pan map, if contintents that cousl chage as you could have a runaway on the other landmass. Still armies are the ticket, it is bombers that can be a pain.

"5) How to deal with early happiness problem? use the first warrior as MP or use lux rate?"

Unless you have a super start with lots of lux to get, you have to face happy issues. Ameliorate with a number of tatics. Slider mainly in Republic, lux connect directly or trade. MP in despot, but not so much even in Monarchy as you pay for all the support.

A stop gap at times is to get someone to DOW and augment that for a time. IOW you have to use all the tools in the box in most games.

"6) What civ to take for agressive strategy?, now I prefer varous scientific civs."

How aggressive? Rome is always good with Legion for defense and offense. France is good for so many reason, after the AA. Not real crazy about any of the sci nations, but several are just fine like Germany to start with spears and archers.

"7) What are the best settings for the map for the first game?"

I am partial to pan maps, but continents are easier for the ealry game. Large invasion can be fun, but dangerous.

3. The Professor

The Professor Emperor

I would recommend trying a loose CXXC pattern. The ability to reinforce a town from its nearest neighbors is really helpful.

Given an appropriately located civ, go for it.

Yes, but it helps to either start with alphabet, or be located on a river, for the extra commerce.

It's not life-or-death. I probably wouldn't bother, unless I was going for a 20K victory.

If you're going for a military victory, I would try to own your own continent before cavalry, ideally.

I personally prefer to bump up the luxury rate, and send the warrior exploring. There may be exceptions if your civ is expansionist, or if you start next to an aggressive next door neighbor.

Iroquois, Celts, Persia and China come to mind. Any Argicultural tribe will be helpful when starting off on a higher difficulty level.

I would personally say in the middle--standard map, 6 or 7 opponents, continents map, and take your pick on everything else.

Good luck!

4. shl7070

shl7070 Chieftain

Will try what you wrote,
    probably also need to increase the workers form 0.8/city to 1.5/city, use smarter diplomacy and increase trans-coninent invasion stacks (now use 45-60 units in late medieval invasions, 60-100 later).

Now I solve happiness with mix of despo MP, connecting luxuries and warring for them and the slider adding temple+cath for metros in IA.

5. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

6. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Chieftain

I only have one word of advice: cheat.

Reroll the start until your settler starts near a river, with bonus resources and/or luxuries in view. The move to Emporer is nothing like what you've experienced before. I just made the move last year and still get "my hat handed to me" on a regular basis. Trust me, you will need every advantage while learning the accelerated play on Emporer. Once you get a win or two under your belt, then worry about being fair and taking the RNG start.

Ok, now you vets can flame me for my suggestion. :lol:

7. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Nah, the vets won't flame you. They'll just talk about the good ol' days, when they had to beat Sid on highest Aggression, with a 6-tile island start ... in the tundra ... with no resources ... on pangaea.

8. Calis

Calis on time

Where is the sarcasm alert? :mischief:

9. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

Which GOTM was this?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

10. shl7070

shl7070 Chieftain

Now trying my second game,
    In the first they finished me off in 3500BC, I had one warrior, they attacked the capital with 2 archers and 2 warrior and took it.
    On the second game I got DOWed upon but was more ready with 10 towns and the tide is turning against them.
    Is this lost?

nah... Now on the fast lane to my first domination in emperor, all continental enemies crushed and gained the tech lead against the oversea civs, now just invade them the normal way and finish this

11. Hellfiredoom

Hellfiredoom Chieftain

:lol::lol:

And let me guess, you had to battle in the snow and it was uphill... both ways. :p

12. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

13. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter Chieftain

Hey, I'm no vet. I still have trouble on Monarch. Although I'm beginning to suspect that some of them didn't have keyboards, and used the mouse to move units.

14. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

How will a small four-legged furry mammal help with my game play? Forget it, I'll take one. :D