1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions regarding Power Plants and Fascism

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Dragonator, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Dragonator

Dragonator Chieftain

Hello, I have Installed Civilization 3 Complete and started playing C3C for the first time. I have played Civ3 several times before but only the vanilla edition.

Do power plants stack up or does the one you build now replace the one you previously built? And if so does that mean the previous power plant becomes obsolete?
    In this case may I present a possible scenario: X city has already built a Coal Plant followed by a Nuclear Plant. Now another Hydro Plant has just been finished. The question is: Which of these three power plants are active and which are obsolete? If two of the plants are sold does the remaining one reactivate? (a
    A variation of this scenario would be that the Hoover Dam has just been built (or captured) and all cities have received a Hydro Plant (I have noticed during my gaming experience, playing the vanilla version, that all cities, regardless of weather or not they were located near a river, received a Hydro Plant upon the construction of The Hoover Dam. Including the ones in Desert tiles, as unbelievable as it may seem, though I do not know weather they were functional or not). In this case the city located near a river that already has a functional Nuclear Power Plant receives automatically a Hydro Plant. Does that plant replace the nuclear one? What can be done in this case, sell and rebuild the Nuclear Plant (seeing as how the Hydro Plant can not be sold because of the Hoover Dam).

The second set of questions regard the new form of government: Fascism. I have not had the chance to try it first hand so I would appreciate your help regarding some technical details such as the effects it has on corruption, economy, commerce, and culture (if possible through a comparison with other forms of government such as monarchy and democracy). In the Civclopedia description I have noticed the 200% Worker efficiency (in comparison to 150% under democracy it looks quite attractive). But what I am interested in is the effect it has on city tiles. For example I have noticed that under Democracy all city tiles have improved production supplying more food, shields and commerce. Is this the case under Fascism?

Thank you for your help.

2. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

1) Anytime you build a power plant it replaces the old one. Note that if you build Hoover you should sell any Coal Plants because they will still pollute. If you own the Hoover Dam, you can still benefit from Nuke plants.

2) I haven't tried Fascism, I doubt I will.

3. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

despotism is the only government which affects food and shields (well, anarchy). Democracy (and republic) add commerce (+1 to any tile that already creates at least 1 commerce). Fascism does not.

Fascism's main advantages are the super workers and the huge unit support. You generally will *lose* production on the switch - sometimes a lot - because you lose population on the switch. This is mainly why it's seen as a sucky government.

4. Dragonator

Dragonator Chieftain

Thank you. Do any of you know if and where I could find a statistical comparison for Governments in Civ3? I mean with comparable number coefficients for corruption and war weariness for example.

5. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

corruption is a pretty complex topic - there isn't a number that you can say "with this government, you will see this much less corruption"

There is an article on it in the war academy.

The thing that most impacts corruption in your cities is rank corruption. The rank of a city is defined as the number of cities closer to the capitol than that city. At some point, the rank corruption of a city goes from being negligible to being catastrophic, and that point is affected by the government (it's highest for republic and democracy, lowest for despotism, in the middle for the rest, and communism is a special case), as well as map size and difficulty - but the presence of courthouses and police stations can affect the "ranking" of that city, as well.

The other piece of corruption is distance corruption (distance from the capitol or FP), which is worse under despotism than anything else, and better under democracy than anything else.

There is also an article on war weariness, I think, which compares republic to democracy. I think that Feudalism (in CSC) is the same as republic and the rest don't have it.