1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quests - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bostock, Aug 20, 2008.

1. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

I got the Blessed Sea on a Large Big and Small Map / normal islands. It required settling on 13 different landmasses. It was a fun quest actually and it wound up helping me to a big win since I was running a coastal GLH economy and all those cities on tiny islands had 5 foreign trade routes by the end. Plus I got Sid's Sushi, so they all wound up at Pop 25+

For the reward, I took the GP and used it for a second Golden Age. I had sent missionaries already with the settler stack to get border pops and all of the cities that still needed temples were pop 5 and under (the newly settled island cities). But, in the end it forced me to develop my economy in a way that was much more powerful than I would have thought.

2. Hereditary Rule

Hereditary Rule Warlord

With a lot of these quests I can't tell from the text if, "every melee unit I build for the rest of the game will get drill I," or "just the units you've already produced get Drill I." etc.

Is there a way to tell other than trying to dissect the sentences' grammer?

3. Bostock

Bostock King

Actually, it's better than either of these: you get the bonus on both present and future units. But then, you just happen to have a bunch of units at that type at the moment when you finish the quest, for some reason, so the bonus for existing units is perhaps more important. (That's why I mentioned NOT upgrading your swords (etc.) to CR1 (etc.) until AFTER you finish the quest.)

4. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

The +25:espionage: for the GW is actually pretty nice. Especially if you have a Scotland Yard in the GW city. If you don't then Communism can provide one. Plus the later buildings to multiply :espionage: can turn that into 75 per turn. And castles aren't as worthless as you may imagine. Not the best building around but definately not worthless. They increase power rating, add a trade route and increase :espionage: They are also one of the very very few nonwonders that get a resource production boost. Walls and Catherdrals being the other 2.
    If i am in Representation i want Coloseums anyway. Or if I am going to war i want them. +1 happiness is nothing to sneeze at.

5. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

All existing and future units of that type get the promotion. More importantly they keep the promotion when upgraded. So spamming CR1 swords is always a good idea once you complete that quest. because even if you're not going to war with swords they can be upgraded to maces. I usualyy drop into vassalage or theo and spam them. they become CR3 maces. This is what is termed a "good thing"

6. Silverdawn

Silverdawn Prince

I just got this in my current game (Monarch, Large, Epic as Qin). I had good production cities and stone so getting castles up didn't take long. And as I had built the Great Wall, the last option was available to me and was the one I took. It adds +25 EP PER TURN to the Great Wall. That was a major benefit at this point of the game when just courthouses with their +2 EPT were becoming available. So I had visibility into all other civs very early (citys not just research) and by adding later espionage buildings and Scotland Yard continue to pump out large amounts of EP. The +3 option wouldn't have helped as much as the random map turned out to be a single continent with many religions and hence lots of war.

7. Hereditary Rule

Hereditary Rule Warlord

:goodjob:
    I'm gonna try this next time I get that one

8. dermoth

dermoth Chieftain

I bagged the Library quest last night with the GL bonus, and it's my new favourite. Great Library Plus, baby!

9. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

I love the march promotion on all gunpowder units. Don't know how you can get it, but it rocks.

10. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

I'm underwhelmed by most of the quests. Building coliseums, well, usually you don't need that many. I found myself behind in units due to undertaking these quests, and for a lousy happiness when I had hereditary rule.

Building units (except triremes), now that's useful.

25 espionage sounds terrible, but 25 per turn?

11. semirami

semirami The Wolf

25 EPs per turn of course.

It's a very stong option. If you get the best deffence quest and have the great wall, you must complete it at all costs, even if you must sacrifice the free great merchant from Economics.

12. kazapp

kazapp Emperor

The list of quests is very long and not easily digested. So far, I haven't seen a single thread that makes it easy to see which quests are really good and which are really bad.

A better approach would, perhaps, be if people listed their 10 most and 10 least liked quests.

In fact, why don't I go start just that thread? :)

13. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

Triremes upgrade to Caravels, which can net you the round-world bonus. Then they do a bunch of exploring, and later uprade to Frigates. What are you crying about? That's a pretty decent thing to have; you should be building a couple Triremes anyway to hold off the barbarian hordes.

14. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Upgrading costs gold, at a point where you probably don't have guilds or banks yet. And 2 triremes is ok, but 5 or more? You save a lot of hammers by building 2 triremes or 2 caravels.

15. Single Malt

Single Malt Prince

The trireme quest is useful on an archepielago map, as triremes are quite necessary to protect your probable large amounts of seafood resources. The hammers are better spent protecting those resources than making new workboats.

16. SnowlyWhite

SnowlyWhite Emperor

wrong tab...

removed

17. Tacgnol

Tacgnol Warlord

I've honestly never even come close to doing the trireme quest, triremes are probably the single most useless unit in the game.

The literature and forge ones, though, youre probably going to do anyway, so you get a nice bonus for not much work. While sports league isn't nearly such a gimme, it's not much of a sacrifice, and IMO is worth it. Also, the other unit quests are good, with the possible exception of chariots depending on your start, and the musketman one is IMO the best of those by far.

Now holy mountain may seem pointless, but I've had it be just amazing. I popped the quest in the industrial age, so I already had about 40 religious buildings, and got the mountain revealed the very next turn. And it couldn't have been in a better place - I already had a settler en route to build a city in the tile below the mountain. +1 happy in all cities for nothing? not bad. Of course, 98% of the time its useless, but if you happen to get lucky with it, it sure isn't bad.

18. Genv [FP]

Genv [FP] Website Moron

The castle quest is the single quest that players should do.

19. Jerrymander

Jerrymander Epistemologist

You mean building-only quests, right? Free promotions are free promotions.

20. DBear

DBear unbeliever

In the game I'm playing now, I got the Best Defense quest very early. I was playing on a fractal map that turned out to be a "broken pangaea", several islands close together. I had only 5 cities at the time, so I had to take two while delaying the IA as long as possible. Finished it, took the +3 relations. Saw little point in Garrison I, and didn't have the Great Wall.

Also got the harbormaster quest, but I was already researching Sci Meth or something real close to it, so no chance on that one.