Quests

TyranusBonehead

Bound & Determined
How important is it that you complete the quests in BTS? So far I've usually ignored them, unless it was something I was planning on doing anyways. Are points deducted if you fail a quest?

Thanks.

There's no penalty for failing a quest. You just don't get a bonus. Some of them provide powerful reward, but many of them don't give anywhere near enough for the difficulty of doing them (Blessed Sea and Holy Mountain are the worst examples of this). There are several more which are only really worth doing if you have the right wonder to unlock the third reward (Classic literature in particular).

How important is it that you complete the quests in BTS?

It's not really important. Some quests have great rewards though - while others are barely mediocre.

I tend to try to fulfill quests anyway, because even when the reward isn't that great, they are still a nice way to leave trodden paths and do something very different from your usual strategies. For example, I usually never build colosseums, so the sports league quest offered me a new experience. I also never expected to do a chariot rush ... but it was fun (despite missing the special reward in that quest and getting a rather mediocre one).

I won't totally change my strategy for a quest, but if I can fit it in, I'll gladly stray a bit from my usual way of doing things and see what happens. :)

I've done the Chariot quest some times, but as it obsoletes at Classical age already it means committing to chariot rush. Sure I will do that as Egypt (I like War Chariots more than Immortals) but probably would skip it in any other case.

Of the military unit quests Elite Swords is very strong, giving free CR1 to swordmen. Makes for nice Gallic Warriors for Boudica :)

The "build x buildings" quests vary a lot. Harbormaster has nice rewards for example, while Classic Lit indeed is worthwhile only with Great Library. Still, playing large map I need 9 cities, which most of the time means I can't complete pre-reneissance quests (including Classic Lit). I just don't have 9 cities that early, as I've mostly moved to rexing while pushing warring to fairly late.

While we're on the subject, I absolutely HATE it when I get a quest a few turns before I get the obsoleting tech.

On the other hand, sometimes you'll get quests that require you to do nothing whatsoever... those are fun :D.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0027.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 218
The best quests are the ones that require you to build 11 units of X type. Some of them are really good. Like the axehandles, or other various free unit upgrades. Especially when you are playing with a charasmatic civ, this really makes your units awesome. Plus, some of these improvements are quite viable if the unit survives and is upgraded many times.

The blacksmith quest, I think that's what it is, was a literal lifesaver in one of my games. I spawns copper right below your capitol if you complete it and choose the copper option.

I didn't have copper, iron, horses, or ivory in that game!

I completed that quest one time, thought Sweet! Extra production for the capital! Copper turned up in the city square. :cry:

Top Bottom