1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quests!?

Discussion in 'Orbis Modmod' started by PurpleTurtle, Jul 13, 2009.

1. PurpleTurtle

PurpleTurtle Shellshocked

My wife and I have just recently discovered the delights of FFH2 and even more recently discovered the additional wonders of Orbis. We love both and are quickly forgetting how to play vanilla BTS. I can't however wonder why in a fantasy mod there aren't any quests? I am speaking of the build x amount of y things in vanilla BTS. It would seem to me that there ought to be a lot of room for setting up all kinds of fun possibilities. All one would need to do is make a random event that has a long term condition that must be satisfied before it causes another random event to occur. IE the Bannor could get a random event that says something like "A priest living in Torrolerial was attacked by an imp while walking home from an evening service and in the ensuing struggle spilled sacramental wine on the demon. To his astonishment it burned and destroyed the demon. While he of course is sure this is a miracle brought about by Junil he wonders if the blessing was upon him or upon the wine itself?" At that point the player recieves a weak disciple unit (the 3 str variety) that has a promotion called "blessed wine" or something that gives him +50% vs demons. Once he has killed 10 demons the promotion could be added to all of the other Bannor disciples. I would love to see a whole slew of these sort of quests or even the build x amount of y quests added. I would also be willing to help write the story and instructions for the quests.

2. Opera

Opera Chieftain

I really want this in too :)
    I'm going to write two or three quests for the Ngomele already, but some for the others would be cool, of course. If anyone is interested, I advise you to read this tutorial to event-modding which is very, very helpful :)

3. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

There's a more events mod-mod which contains a decent event for the Gela and a bunch of other interesting events. It might make a good import.

4. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Chieftain

well ... Kael once wrote why there isn't quests like in vanilla BtS ... It was something about that they should be more complex than "build x amount of y units"... instead of this there are scenarios, which are defacto 3-4 quests ...
    IIRC

5. Jabie

Jabie Wanted in Monte Carlo...

this link may prove useful: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236727

One way of approaching this may be expose all the quests from turn one so that they become global goals, rather than quests. This way they work in the same way as the sail round the world bonus works in the main game.

Another option may be to personalise the goals which incentivise the player to role-play according to their Civ. Again, players get their goal at the beginning but the goal is only available to them, so that while the Lanun have an incentive to build a large armada for a commerce bonus in their harbours, the Sheaim are trying to construct Ashen Veil Temples for the XP bonus to all the demons that emerge from their Planar Gates. Of course, you can play the Lanun as land based bandits and the Sheaim as warriors of the Empyrean if you wish, but you're going against their grain and forgo their goal bonus.

6. mimic

mimic Magic Box

oooh this looks fun, nice idea Jabie I may include that in my own mod :)

7. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

I want quests too. And there was a thread a while ago that said something about a quest involving the Gela

8. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

:goodjob: seconded

9. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Chieftain

I think you should have both race special and common quests, it would make the races more unique (again)

10. zup

zup Chieftain

But we have quests...

Enemy navy pillaging your fishing boats and bombarding your coasts, softening you for an amphibious invasion? Build that armada and strike back. Or build an armada and do the aforementioned thing to your enemy. You don't need a popup telling you build X number of Y and then choose a reward A, B or C. The annihilation of your enemy and xp for your units should be reward enough, no?

Or perhaps your enemy built Nox Noctis. He sends his armies to attack you and though you rout them, your counter-attacks are repelled by inferior, but invisible forces. Now this calls for an epic war preparation and offensive to take the CoE holy city. And for reward you get Nox Noctis and probably some more cities too. Don't tell me you need a popup for this.

Buboes spawned and AC is going up in an alarming rate. Send an expedition to confiscate his sword so you can hang onto it deep in your territory. You already got your popup when he spawned.

And don't forget the ultimate quest. Win the game.

11. PurpleTurtle

I am afraid I do need the pop-ups. I need anything I can get to distract me from how bad the AI is.

12. zup

zup Chieftain

Yes, the AI sucks but you can choose a higher difficulty setting to compensate.

13. PurpleTurtle

It only goes up to Diety. Even at that difficulty the barbs often kill off some AI teams.

14. zup

zup Chieftain

How exactly do they manage that? AI get 8 free xp at deity for all their units, whom they pump out like there's no tomorrow. They pay next to nothing in maintenance, get massively reduced inflation, insane bonus against barbarians (it is still in, right?)...

The only thing I can think of that could kill a deity AI is a stack of ira by turn 50. And if they spawn so early, it is either a bug, or your AC rised unexpectedly fast.

Or did you do like I did and increased barbarian spawns? Though even at 6 times default barbarians, they did not manage to kill off a single AI in either of my test games on noble.

15. PurpleTurtle

I have two theories. One is that the AI was near the Guardian of Pristin Pass or that they popped a lair of some kind and got a stack of tough enemies. The other is something I have experienced myself on two occasions. This is really wierd but sometimes a lizardman gets bugged and can capture and destroy a city without fighting the units guarding it. Perhaps that is happening to the AI too. At any rate, 90% of my games have one of the AI not making it out of the first 25 turns. On huge maps that makes it pretty unlikely that it was another AI.

16. zup

zup Chieftain

It could also be horribly unlucky combats. I have seen two lizardmen butcher my capital defended by max fortified warriors, under the newest 'palace guardian' implementation. But as long as we don't have tactical combat, all we can do is roll a bit of dice.

17. cypher132

cypher132 Chieftain

Oh, this could be cool. Have war-like quests for the Doviello and Clan of Embers. Religious quests for the Malakim and such. Yeah, if I could mod I'd try it. Too bad I can't. :blush:

18. Opera

Opera Chieftain

Why can't you?

19. mimic

mimic Magic Box

Yes, modding the xml is actually very easy. You might be surprised at what you can do...

20. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

copy paste post from a while ago, since it really fits in here. taken from this thread which had a lot of ideas: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=294584

"BTS-style quests sucked imho, they were just random stuff popping up without any reason.

that said, I think there is room for quests in FFH2. instead of having them happen randomly like BTS, you could go the ol' good Warlords way and let Heroes and possibly high XP units "get" quests. you could go the Warlords II way and have some "Oracle" improvements spawn at map startup where you can get quests. or you could go the Warlords III way and have quests available in cities. you could then have 3 increasingly difficult levels of quests, with increasingly good rewards of course. level 1 could need a pagan temple in the city, level 2 a religious temple and level 3 a holy shrine.

setting aside ( i.e. resigning ) quests should be possible, but have some penalty associated with it."