1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Queue swapping!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by wilzi, Oct 31, 2008.

1. wilzi

wilzi Chieftain

Did the latest patch make this "cheat" obsolete?
    I have been reading the forum where queue swapping was mentioned as a management strategy

2. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

It works if you want to split your hammers among different items.

It doesn't work if you are trying to cheat the system.

3. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

Yes you can still queue-build units if you want more than one type and save some maintenance or switch to warcivics.

4. Kesshi

Kesshi Chieftain

Pardon me, but I'm unfamiliar with "queue swapping" what is it and what was the "cheat"?

5. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

If you're going to switch civics, almost completing one of each unit and then finishing them after you switch gives you higher exp units.

6. cabert

cabert Big mouth

and big red eyes ;)
    it's hardly a cheat, more like a small trick

7. Kesshi

Kesshi Chieftain

vicawoo,

Oh, I know about that. I do that with settled Great Generals, too. Where was the "cheat" part?

8. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

If that's not it, I have no idea what the cheat is. I mean, some people think 2 pop whips are cheating.

9. wilzi

wilzi Chieftain

Well I used to play civ 1,
    In civ1 you could start to build a useless wonder and get nearly finished, at the same time be heading for a tech that would you the option of building the wonder you really wanted to build, then you could quit the build on the previous wonder and all the hammers would be transferred to the new wonder, now the game auto converts all saved hammers to gold :sad:
    It would have been a useful "cheat" in inverted commas to be able to do something similar early in game
    ie build warrior then so you get city growth then switch to settler.
    But my guess is that it is deliberate that your progress be halted in this way to avoid the tactic employed in earlier civ versions of preventing city build rush early in the game.

10. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Chieftain

The situation is quite different in fact. All possible builds have their own hammer counts. So if you start to build a unit, then swap to a building (start at 0 hammer), then go back to the unit, the hammers are the same as when you left the unit. Except that after some time, the hammers decay.

The gold stuff is when you are not able anymore to build something (usually because someone else built the wonder).

11. Kesshi

Kesshi Chieftain

wilzi,

On higher difficulties of Civ 1 there were penalties for swapping buildings in mid-production, which made it not quite so useful.

12. RJM

RJM Chieftain

My memory is that penalties only applied if switching to another class. Switching from one wonder to another was a regular technique at the highest level, as was switching from a wonder to a spaceship part.

RJM

13. Kesshi

Kesshi Chieftain

RJM,

Hmm, you may be right there. That was from so long ago that I forget the specifics but you're probably right. :)

14. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Chieftain

The only "cheat" that I know of with queue swapping (in CIV IV) is the old interaction between chopping and the queue. Once upon a time, you could deliver chops to a build mid turn, then take it off the queue before the end of turn. In this way, you could "chop a settler" without stunting your growth for more than one turn. Or whip a settler earlier than you should be able to, I suppose.

A subsequent patch modified the behavior of this mechanic.

Calling this a cheat is somewhat subjective, but it was clearly an implementation that didn't match the intended design, and the AI did not have the capability to exploit it.