Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, HOF & GOTM allow you make gpt deals and break 'em either intentionally or by entrapment. Fine by me. Same Rules for everyone. :)

If HOF doesn't allow it, I don't do it...........Might have something to do with the fact I'm only playing HOF games at the moment! :cool:

If I had switched my capital I would have lost the improvements such as e.g. Knights Templar (I know a lot of people think they're a waste but I love them, they sure can kick up a real stink if needed), and I guess I could not get them back....?

In that case you can still switch capitals by actually building a new palace. (instead of disbanding your current palace city)

If you want to build the new palace in a mostly corrupt city. (or you just want to do it fast and without hassle) you can use a great leader to rush it, a military great leader can rush your palace.

I find myself getting to the retirement in a mere hour

The game is turn based, and you can take as much time as you like for each turn.
Some of us take days for a single turn. Some others complete a game in a day.

There are 540 turns in a standard game, at 2050 you are in turn 541.

The fact that you reach this turn in a mere hour doesn't matter.
Except that maybe, you could take more time thinking about your strategic decisions each turn? It will help you build your space ship before turn 540!

It helps to turn on the feature "always wait at the end of the turn" in the preferences screen. This way, you always have to manually click the "next turn" button when you are done with a turn. This will allows you to fiddle around with all kinds of things in your game, such as what cities are building, or what your slider % are set at.

The game is turn based, and you can take as much time as you like for each turn.
Some of us take days for a single turn. Some others complete a game in a day.

There are 540 turns in a standard game, at 2050 you are in turn 541.

The fact that you reach this turn in a mere hour doesn't matter.
Except that maybe, you could take more time thinking about your strategic decisions each turn? It will help you build your space ship before turn 540!

It helps to turn on the feature "always wait at the end of the turn" in the preferences screen. This way, you always have to manually click the "next turn" button when you are done with a turn. This will allows you to fiddle around with all kinds of things in your game, such as what cities are building, or what your slider % are set at.
Yes, ALWAYS wait at end of turn, I thought I had it turned on (but didn't and had many many many moves ruined, simply because the turn would end. I thought the option was broken, so I would always un-fortify some unit and make them wait until they were the only one who hadn't moved.

I think y finishing a game in a mere hour he means conquest or something, not 540 turns. That would be difficult (at least for me).

Edit: Someone mentioned something about saving the city's queue, I could really use that about now...

Also, I have been building cities CxxC mainly because I don't need to fill the gaps in-between. I would like to switch to CxxxC because:
1. Still no need to fill gaps.
2. The one-move-from-city-to-city thing isn't that bug of a deal for me. I rarely make use of it.
3. I REALLY need those super-high production cities later in the game, when I can finally build wonders I need to build them FAST. Of course captured enemy cities could be used for this, but generally they are still building basic improvements (temple, courthouse, harbor, market) when I need them to start building wonders, plus they have low population.

Any thoughts?

Can you get a SGL from being the first to get an advance from a goodie hut?

Can you get a MGL from battles with barbarians?

rbigger said:
Can you get a SGL from being the first to get an advance from a goodie hut?

No, you must be the first to research it to have a chance of an SGL appearing (3% for non-scientific civs, 5% for scientific).

rbigger said:
Can you get a MGL from battles with barbarians?

No, you can't get MGLs from victorious battles against barbs.

No, he said he was reaching the mandatory retirement in an hour.
Touché.

On a different note, I found a very nice cite for an iron works city (plenty of mountains and grassland after I clear the jungle). The only thing stopping me is the fact that there are two foreign cities there already. One of them is adjacent to a volcano, so maybe I'll get lucky, but I need an effective way of getting rid of these without razing them. What are the requirements for autoraze, besides population 1, if any?

Pop must = 1, and there must be less than 10 culture (VC3/PTW) or 0 culture (C3C).

:aargh: Any way to eat their culture?
If I abandon a city where 100% of the citizens are mine, but the city was created by someone else, will it hurt my rep?
Is there any way to get rid of these damn cities?!

Nope. Once a city accures culture, it can never lose it.

Abandoning a city will never hurt your rep. However, you may take an attitude hit if more than half the pop is not yours.

Hmm, something btfx said triggered in my mind, and now I'm curious: I know razing a city with >50% foreign population gives you an attitude hit, but does the auto-raze also do this?? If so, that's another example of...um...interesting programming decisions regarding reputation/attitude.

I'll do what garyg says and I'll wind them up to declare war to benefit from War Fever but I won't set up a juicy deal and then get them to declare. That's just a personal preference though. Others will take a different view. As has been said many times before, in the end you play for your own enjoyment.

I don't think it's a cheat.
If I see a stack of AI units headed my way and I'm all but certain that they will declare in a turn or two I'll turn down my science slider to zero and trade for as many techs as I can for gpt. You can also do the same with luxuries.

Won't the AI realize that they are making profit, and turn the other direction. I'm sure someone once said that gpt deals (Or any luxuries, resources etc.) will cause the AI to reconsider and perhaps not declare war after all. To put it short, your basically reducing the chances of the AI declaring war on you if you are trading stuff like resources gpt etc.

Won't the AI realize that they are making profit, and turn the other direction. I'm sure someone once said that gpt deals (Or any luxuries, resources etc.) will cause the AI to reconsider and perhaps not declare war after all. To put it short, your basically reducing the chances of the AI declaring war on you if you are trading stuff like resources gpt etc.

I wish!!! I've tried trading a lux or resource when I REALLY didn't want to be attacked, and it doesn't work.

I think they are less likely to decide to attack in the first place if you're trading per turn with them, but once they've made the decision and sent a stack into your territory, it seems they will not be deterred.

The only time I remember deflecting them was when I bribed them into an alliance against another civ. Their stack did an immediate about-face to attack the other civ.

To echo gmaharriet's reply, I've never seen them turn around.

Also on the alliance thing, I've also tried that. More often than not they do turn around if the common foe is not too far away but I've also had them declare on me as well. A messy three way war ensues so just make sure that you're not the one in the middle if you try this out! ;)

@btfx: note that autorazing is no better than a deliberate raze. You still take an attitude hit. If the site it not going to be totally corrupt, go ahead and raze away.

Oh, and for the record playing a full game in just 1 hour is amazing! I normally take longer than this to play up to 1000BC. I once played a OCC histographic win and it took me more than 9 hours!

To echo gmaharriet's reply, I've never seen them turn around.

Also on the alliance thing, I've also tried that. More often than not they do turn around if the common foe is not too far away but I've also had them declare on me as well. A messy three way war ensues so just make sure that you're not the one in the middle if you try this out! ;)

I absolutely love three way wars, they're so fun. Too much warmonger in me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom