Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

Good point, but I have never seen the RNG go in your favor before...

2. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

No deletion is necessary. You simply go into the .INI file found in every unit folder and find "disband =" or something like that under animations. You can either delete the file name beside it or, for example, use the kneel or some other anim in its place.

You have to do it this way (as opposed to deleting the actual .flc file) if you want to keep the death animation. (Unless the unit comes w/ a specific disband anim in which case this problem would probably have never been brought up in the first place.)

3. Zefyrinus

Zefyrinus Regent

Nope, I never go minus. I think I had ca 2000 gold when this happened. "Civ3 weirdness"? What other things fall under that category?

4. MAS

MAS Deity

Now you make it sound as if the forum is undervaluing defensive units. I still think they are overvalued.

Never building defensive units is a big statement, they do have their purposes, but those are specific, for certain circumstances.
    Defending a stack of bombard units is one of those specific reasons. But they will still make up a small portion of your total military.

So my point is:

This statement is just untrue.
    You still only need a few defensive units.

5. D0NIMATRIX

Care to elaborate?

6. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

For one thing the AI almost never uses amphibious units in un-modded Civ3. After RRs the lack of need for costal defenses is even more apparent.

7. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

"Civ3 weirdness" is something that just seems odd while playing the game. One of your small, recently captured towns flips, suddenly it is defended better than it was the first time you grabbed it. Or you have a red-lined cav unit that just grabbed a city, your opponent has a healthy MDI right beside the town, and on the IBT he keels over due to lack of unit support causing disbandment. Or, you attack a galley with a frigate, the galley wins! Civ3 weirdness, all.

8. chess

chess Chieftain

I need help with ViSa 3.25:

Whenever I start a game, it crashes! I'm using Warlords 2.08. Any ideas?

9. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Nothing strange about them getting their best defensive unit in a town that just flipped to them, that is the norm.

10. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Welcome to CFC, chess!

Based on the part that I've underlined, I'm guessing that you'll have more luck asking that question in the Civ 4 fora. This is the Civ 3 area. I'm not very familiar with the Civ 4 fora, but I'd start with Civ 4 - Technical Support.

Good luck finding the answer.

11. chess

chess Chieftain

thanks,

i guess asking my civ 4 question on the civ 4 forum would be a start :lol:

12. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

True, but how about two of their best defenders, before drafting is possible? The AI must get a chance to rush two units in one turn.

13. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

There's no question that the AI cheats. :mad:

For example if you attack an AI town greater than 1, and the AI is under Despotism, there's a good chance that the AI will pop-rush a defensive unit DURING YOUR TURN, possibly reducing the town size to 1. You win the battle thinking you are capturing a town......and you end up with a pile of rubble!! :eek: :lol:

14. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I could not find my note on the process as I am on my backup PC today. I have seen that they are are to rush a unit.

15. Aerinon

Aerinon Monarch

I've seen this phenomenon too. On lower levels, (Chieftan-Regent) I'm liable to gift them a gov't (Monarchy or Republic) before declaring war if I'm going to be keeping their cities. It always better to go against a civ in anarchy too. On higher levels the computer plays better and I haven't had any such issues yet.

16. darski

darski Regent in Training

I just had this happen to me. I walked up to a (size 1) city with 1 warrior and all of a sudden a spear and two warriors were there while I was having my turn.

Grrrrrrr.

17. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

How do you know there was not two warriors there to start? You would need to have a spy and investigate the town to know for sure. We already know they can rush a spear.

18. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Yes EXACTLY!..........This is another example of the AI cheating! (Viz. Changing Governments on my turn.) .......BUT, we can use this AI cheat to our advantage.

I made the mistake recently of attacking an AI in Despotism..........instead of giving him "The Republic" Tech first.........then he would have immediately gone into Anarchy........AND, would not have been able to Pop-Rush and thus reduce his city size to 1!!!! ;)

19. D0NIMATRIX

Is there really a noticeable difference between attacking an AI in anarchy and attacking an AI in normal government? I could swear that they can still rush units...

20. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

You can still rush units in anarchy, you just have use something to disband for the shields.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.