Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

hydro, of course. No pollution or chance of meltdown, or need of resources, but needs a river. I recommend building the Three Gorges dam to give power to all cities on the continent

2. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I rank them in this order:
    1. Hydro Plant - No extra pollution, no chance of meltdown, but the city needs to be next to a river tile.
    2. Coal Plant - Extra pollution, but no chance of meltdown, and no requirement for a riverside tile to be next door. Requires coal (duh).
    3. Nuclear Plant - Probably the worst one--no tile requirements, but you run a ridiculously high risk of a meltdown. Requires uranium.

3. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

Hydro, if you can wait that long and the city is on a river. No pollution (but still the 2 unhealthiness from having power) and no chance of a meltdown.

Frequently coal will be the answer simply because it comes significantly earlier.

Nuclear is almost never the answer due to the meltdown issue.

The Three Gorges Dam is obviously the best, in some sense, as it gives you power everywhere on the continent. But it is late and expensive. It will suddenly remove the extra 2 unhealthiness from every city with a coal plant, remove the meltdown chance if you built any nuclear plants, provide power in all those cities that never built a power plant of any sort, and it will also provide power in newly conquered cities that lost their power plant when being acquired. However, if you spent the same amount of production on military units instead then you might be able to win the game using them.

4. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Okay... spies have Commando (which makes sense). Great Spies don't. Does anyone know why?

5. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

I do not know. However, that might be a good idea for my mod... :p

6. Kangaroo495

Kangaroo495 Chieftain

A couple of questions:

How do you do a dot map?

How do I get the BUG mod? I really like the look of it.

7. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch Chieftain

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=274636 gets you to the BUG download. You can do dot maps from within BUG by using ALT X

8. Kangaroo495

Kangaroo495 Chieftain

Thanks a lot!

Assuming I don't need to upgrade/tinker with anything else to make the BUG compatible with my version of BTS?

9. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

You don't, just run the installation. Your BTS needs to be patched to 3.19.

10. Pendle Witch

Pendle Witch Chieftain

... And there is a zillion other reasons to use BUG too. I found I was quickly able to play at one level higher. Enjoy !

11. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

:thanx:
    After so much time of meddling with WB I still couldn't find it.

12. ajsciri4

ajsciri4 Warlord

1. Enter WB.
    2. Look on the UI for "Player Mode." It should be on the second row. Click it.
    3. Choose your player from the dropdown menu. Mine would be "Anthony."
    4. Go to the "Buildings" tab.
    5. The first icon should be of a city (kind of); click it and select where you want it to be.
    6. To edit this city in WB, click on the "Edit city" (or some similar name) on the UI in the top right, then click on the city.
    7. From here, you may select if it is the holy city of a religion, the population it has, the culture level, and what buildings it contains in the "Buildings" tab.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were stating you still can't find it, not that you found it and you couldn't find it prior to his comment. :p

13. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

If you have hammer overflow but switch to build wealth the hammers don't go to wealth but remain tillnyou next decide to build a building or unit . Do these hammers decay ?

14. Akbarthegreat

They do remain temporarily, I don't know about the decay after 10 turns though.

I should have been more specific. I'm sorry:blush:

15. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Thank you . On similar theme , what about pre chopped forests or half complete roads or farms ? Is there a decay there?

16. Akbarthegreat

Is there a way to edit the hints which are shown on the loading screen?

No, I'm sure. If you play BUG, it will tell you how many more turns it will take if you started improving the tile and then stopped.

17. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

18. Akbarthegreat

This is about CFC: Why does the 'last edited by akbarthegreat' only appear sometimes and not always?

and Is there a way to edit the hints which are shown on the loading screen?

19. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

There's an XML file with the hints, whenever I make a mod I add mod-related hints.

20. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

I've wondered this myself. I think it shows up if anyone else looked at that particular page between the time you posted your comment and the time you edited it. I've noticed that if I do a quick edit to fix a spelling mistake it usually doesn't say that, but if I come back two hours later and add a sentence, it usually does.

Ask that in the Site Feedback forum (or just PM a mod) and you'll probably get a more definitive answer than my pre-coffee ramblings. ;)