Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

That's one really ill-timed golden age if I ever saw one.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Sarin

Sarin Emperor

Happened to me while playing Greece yesterday. I was using exclusively warriors to avoid this issue, Romans tried rushing me with their warriors and archers so I whipped a Hoplite in the threatened city...first unit attacks, boom. Golden age two turns away from completing Philosophy->Republic slingshot, so I spend few turns of GA in revolution.

Knightfall likes this.
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Yeah. Still, hoplites in particular mean that barbarians can very rarely get the drop on you… all meanings of the word ‘barbarian’ accepted, btw.
    If you send teams of 2-3 hoplites against mountain/tundra barbarians where the other AIs cannot settle you can reach an age where everybody else is just beginning to try to scramble some pikemen while you have a horde of elite hoplites ready to defend against puny swordsmen.

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

This is one of the reasons why in the mod CCM Golden Ages only can be triggered by great wonders (GW) and not by units. In CCM each civ has its own special GW for triggering a Golden Age according to history, but of course it can also be triggered by a mixture of traits with several different GWs, as it is in standard Civ 3.

Knightfall likes this.
  5. justanick

justanick Emperor

I would argue that a despotic GA is still better than one in anarchy. Of course the best way is to use the despotic GA to get republic earlier. Just 2 turns shy of revolution is really ill timed.

Knightfall likes this.
  6. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

What is a "locked alliance"?

7. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Civs are in an alliance that they are locked into and cannot break. Used for some scenarios, usually one with placed cities. WW2 Japan and Italy and Germany for example.

WeirdoJoker and tjs282 like this.
  8. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

In addition to what @vmxa said: if any one Locked Ally signs peace with someone, then every other member of the Locked Alliance is forced to sign peace with that enemy as well.

EDIT to add:

This is particularly noticeable in the Napoleonic Conquest, which has 2 LAs that each include both playable and unplayable Civs:
    — France (playable) is allied with Denmark (unplayable)
    — Britain (playable) is allied with the Netherlands + Portugal + Naples (all unplayable, IIRC)

So if playing as e.g. France, I can declare on Prussia (non-aligned), which drags Denmark (north of Prussia) into my war — but if Denmark takes too much damage, the Danish AI might 'choose' to sign a PT with Prussia before I'm finished conquering them. However, the scenario runs for only 96 turns, and is won on Victory-Points (primarily from unit-kills and town-captures, with some towns also hosting VP-Locations which give extra VP-per-turn), so I simply can't afford to wait 20T before re-declaring (as I might in an epic-game).

Maintaining a good trade-rep is therefore not even a consideration...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    vorlon_mi and WeirdoJoker like this.
  9. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Also, locked alliances can only be set in pre-made .biq files. They are not part of the ‘epic’ game.