Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner

Deity
Retired Moderator
You want to know something and can't find it in the FAQ?

Ask here!

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask!

Lots of people are willing to help.

Please DO read throught the relevant section of the FAQ thread (which is also a sticky) before you post though.

(If you really want the previous thread, it's here. ;) )

Probably not a good question since it is so easy to check it, but I'm at work and just thought of that... If I rush a factory, can I change it to a GW right away and thus partly rush a GW?

If by GW you mean Great Wonder, no, you can't do it.

Once you rush something, by gold/pop rushing it, or by cutting down a forest tile, or by disbanding a unit, you can't rush a wonder of any kind. They will be greyed out, and you won't be able to select them.

And any question is a good question....don't be afraid to ask. ;)

I obiously wasn't... :)
And damn it, that seemed like such a good idea...

There was an exploit where you could have a huge stack of workers and plant and chop down forests on the same time and get the 10 sheild bonus each time. But I don't ever remember being able to rush one building and switch to a wonder.

(And that wasn't so much for you, but anyone else who has doubts about posting. ;))

Ok, I know that the chopped forrest does not count towards the Great Wonder, I'm thinking that disbanding units won't help either (correct me if I'm wrong). In my recent game, I had a lot of cossacs left (50~) and too lazy to go fight overseas. I disbanded them in my not so productive cities to expedite the improvements' building. So, building units in one city and disbanding them in another would be a way of transfering the shields from city to city (yes, I know that they don't give me the same shields I spent on the unit). Are there any other ways to transfer productivity from highly productive cities to less productive (other than adding workers)?

You're right about the disbanded workers/units - they don't work for wonders.

As for xfering production, I think that's about it. Aside from switched to a communal corruption government, which has the plus side of making outlying, corrupt cities productive and the downside of core cities being more corrupt. Obviously, the higher the sheild-cost the more sheilds you get back for disbanding them.

Try to get courthouses and police stations in the city as well. And if you're playing conquests, you can use either Civil Engineers or Policement to boost shields or lower corruption. WLTKD also will cut down a bit on waste, so make them happy.

There's probably more, but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

I've always tried to rush courthouse and police stations as a way to transfer the production of the civ as a whole into a city. Well, its more like an investment in the future production of those cities. Another idea is using the low production cities for worker production. Sometimes these cities will have enough food and shields to produce a worker every 10 turns. Growth is slow in these cities, but as the workers improve more squares in productive cities, you can get enough gold to rush courthouses and police stations.

Do courthouses really reduce corruption because in my empire I built courthouses in every city and was actually losing more gold to corruption than brfore I built the courthouses.

Do Courthouses really reduce corruption?

Yes, really! Honest. They do.

When should I irrigate rather than mine? At the moment I irrigate desert tiles and any food tile and, I mine hills, mountains and grassland (unless irrigating to next city) . Is this correct?

Depends on a lot of different things, but the general rule of thumb is 'mine green, irrigate brown'.

Civ III 1.29f

I am involved in a MPP w/~7turns left with one Civ(Greece) against three others. I'm in a Democracy and the three civs dog piled me (which is why I entered the MPP) giving me war happiness for a while but War Weariness has begun to rear its ugly head. If I choose to break the MPP, is it better to do so by elimanating a civ or by signing peace....I know both hurt but which one hurts the least?

Thanks in advance.

Best would be to kill off the civs you're in an MPP against. So if you and greece are in a MPP, kill off whomever you're at war with. That's an attitude hit (which is recoverable) and not a rep hit, like exiting out of the alliance (which is not recoverable).

Thanks Turner. I was afraid of that. I can kill 'em but not quickly enough to have my quest for space slowed down a bit. Oh well, time to get mean.

Mine or Irrigate?
The rulle of thumb, mine green and irrigate brown is pretty good general advice. The other general thing to consider is how much green a city has. Sometimes you need to irrigate green to get the food you need to grow. This is important when there are lots of mountains and hills in a city.

Does anyone know if the cities.txt file for C3C (or any other version) is online or would you mind posting a copy if you can? Thanks.

Sorry. I am just at work and I wanted to get a look at the cities lists.

Bah, now I am home and I can't even find a cities.txt. I dont think Civ 3 uses one. Can anyone tell me a way to get the city names without playing each civ and building them all one by one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom