1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Cargo Ship Question

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by marti161, Oct 14, 2013.

1. marti161

marti161 Chieftain

Hello,

If say my Capital is on the coast of a lake, and I have another city that borders the same lake on one side, and an actual coast/ocean on the other side, can I send the cargo ship that I build in my other city to my Capital?

Thanks

2. That Other Guy

That Other Guy Chieftain

Yes, trade routes can use your cities as canals.

3. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

You can also check in the trade route menu for "available trade routes". When it doesn't show up there it's either impossible due to impassable terrain or you don't have enough range for it.

4. marti161

marti161 Chieftain

Thanks guys,

The main uncertainty was whether or not cargo ships are allowed in lakes. Now I can restart my game and actually settle my capital next to the lake (it originally started one tile off).

5. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Last time i have tried i couldnt use a cargo on a lake connecting 2 cities.

6. McSaucy4418

McSaucy4418 Chieftain

If it is legitimately a lake (1 hex in size) then you can't. However it sounds like he settled on both sides of it which would lead me to believe it is more of an inland sea in which case you can indeed send ships across it.

7. eewallace

eewallace Chieftain

If it shows as a "lake" (and the are sometimes more than 1 hex) then you can't use them for cargo ships. If, however, it shows as coastal waters (as most large inland lakes do) you can use them for cargo ships. And in fact these type of cargo routes are excellent early in the game as they are unlikely to get plundered.

8. Greizer85

Greizer85 Chieftain

If a lake is 9 tiles or more, it counts as a sea and you can build ships into it and use Cargo Ships.