1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

quick germany UHV question

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Bigger66, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

so after taking a break to beat Germany HVC's with monarch (learned a lot), I'm trying again with Emporer. It's looking real good, too. Pretty sure ill be able to crank out tanks by 1820 or so. (I've played so many games stubbornly trying to win on emperor, I think i can write a strategy guide when I'm done with this game).

I have a question with the France part of the UHV. I planned to take Marsaille, raze Paris, Bordeux, and Brest and build Essen (the city on the Uranium). In my monarch game this was a super city once I had Levee and Factory there.

However, Before I was ready to attack France (I had Constantinople early and was just about to DOW Turkey to get Athens and raze Sogut) - France somehow managed to get at war with every single European Civ. Spain DOW them, and then Russia did. The Dutch and the english are vassals to Russia. Portugal was my vassal, and me and portugal got involved when I agreed to acccept Spain as a vassal. so - spain took marsaille, portugal took Bordeux. The dutch took paris, but i was very lucky - since they were unstable it went independent the next turn, and I immediately took it. I razed brest (its pretty worthless).

Can I satisfy the condition with just paris? Thats my question. Marseille is spanish and bordeux is portuguesse. I cannot get either of my vassals to give me their french cities (its not even an option with the spanish, and portugueese won't give me bordeux :(). I'm hoping to flip marsaille with Rome, Frankfurt, and Paris pushing on it - but there's no guarantee.

Its only 1550 or so and I don't wanna play another 100 turns if I'm just going to fail the UHV. I can reload an auto save now and try to DOW France earlier. BUt if Paris is enough to win the victory condition, id rather just stick with it (its can be hard to get Spain as a vassal, I want all the happy resources Isabell gets in the New world, so its worth it).

as an aside, Mali vassalled with Russia in this game, which made me sad. In my monarch game I was able to get Mali as a vassal, which was so awesome - you can demand ivory, gold, gems, and one other happiness resources - for a very quick +7 happiness - which means you can afford to go crazy whipping reval and danzig, woohoo :)

2. DylanAraki

DylanAraki Chieftain

You need the majority of cities. Try to collapse one of them with privateers, and make them switch civics often. If it proves necessarily build a city.

3. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

thanks. is it majority of cities, or culture? Marsaille will not have more than the one square of culture. Bordeux won't have much.

if i rebuild brest, will that be enough? I'll have 2 and they'll have 1 each.

hopefully I can fluip Marsaille :)

4. Akbarthegreat

Akbarthegreat Angel of Junil

And indies don't count, so you need 1 city more than the others.

5. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

The count is cities, not tiles owned by culture.

6. Bigger66

Bigger66 Chieftain

ok, cool. well I discovered I can "encourage" marsaille to flip with spies (each one is 5% culture). they made flipping marsaille quite easy, which was much more efficient than attempting to get willing and useful vassals to revolt ;)

7. killerkebab

killerkebab Chieftain

You don't, do you? He said France collapsed - one city is always more than no cities ;)

... the only use to getting more cities now would be so that your stability stops France from respawning (if it is that good) :)

8. morff

morff Chieftain

I always struggled with the UHV, so here you go:

- if the civ is alive, you have to have more cities than them
    - if the civ is collapsed, you still have to have more cities in their core area than any other civ
    - if no other civ is in the core area, one city will do