Quick question about graphics and terrain moddability

primem0ver

Emperor
I know that the SDK is not out yet. I do not yet own Civ 6 for several reasons. I may be interested in getting it when the SDK becomes available but I wanted to know a few things first. I am wondering if people have delved into the XML enough to know approximately how moddable the terrain will be and how moddable the features and graphic assets for are. Here are my specific questions:
  1. Can terrain assets (graphics) be modified by the XML code? For example, could someone replace the ridiculously cartoonish trees with more realistic looking ones?
  2. Does it look like different types of trees can be added to the game? I am not a fan of pine trees everywhere. I prefer deciduous (though ideally both would exist).
  3. In Civ 4 one could add many different types of terrains and art. In Civ 5 this was more limited but those limitations could be gotten around by using the different styling (Eurropean vs American etc...). Does it look like either or both of these are used or does it seem limited like Civ 5 without the ability to have styling?

1. Can terrain assets (graphics) be modified by the XML code? For example, could someone replace the ridiculously cartoonish trees with more realistic looking ones?
The graphics for the terrain features are hidden in a .blp collection, like all other 3D-objects. Currently we don't know how to create or edit those files. Using XML you can replace the trees with other included objects but you can't add new ones.
2. Does it look like different types of trees can be added to the game? I am not a fan of pine trees everywhere. I prefer deciduous (though ideally both would exist).
The hard part is to find a way to edit the .blp files or to reference to extern 3D-models.
3. In Civ 4 one could add many different types of terrains and art. In Civ 5 this was more limited but those limitations could be gotten around by using the different styling (Eurropean vs American etc...). Does it look like either or both of these are used or does it seem limited like Civ 5 without the ability to have styling?
It looks like adding new terrain types and features should be possible like adding new leaders or buildings. We already have unique features like "tundra snow trees" and DLCs are adding new natural wonders terrain art.

Ok I am not sure I get your answer to 3 in light of 2. Are you just adding a snow texture to "cover" the tree texture for "snow trees" or are you actually adding another type of tree?

Top Bottom