Quick question about the editor...

guspasho

Prince
I wanted to try a certain type of variant but I wanted to know if the editor could do it. What I have in mind is a sort of global Five City Challenge. Each player starts with five settlers and no one can build more settlers, ever. The idea being more use of colonies, a regular barbarian threat, and no border disputes/frustrations with rivals. (I HATE how the AI unrepentantly tries to invade me with settler/spearmen until I declare war and crush them, and I HATE how they steal that resource on the edge of my civilization by building a city just on my borders.)

Well, I know I can do it, but can I do it and still allow for random map creation, tribe selection at the start of any game using this variant?

guspasho said:
(I HATE how the AI unrepentantly tries to invade me with settler/spearmen until I declare war and crush them, and I HATE how they steal that resource on the edge of my civilization by building a city just on my borders.)

Hey, its my strategy :D .

I think in start give all civilization 5 settlers (in players option) and make settler unavailable for all civilizations(in Edit Rules-units) But I dont know how make it without players edit option :crazyeye:

Also, another idea just came to mind: is it feasable to allow barbarians to build units other than warriors, horsemen, and carracks? It would make for a more interesting game if you have to fend off longbowmen, medieval infantry, guerrillas or TOW infantry later in the game as much as you have to worry about uprisings of horsemen early on.

No, not feasable. The only thing you can change is the advanced barbarian, the barbarian, the barbarian ship, and the units you can pop from goody huts.

:) This is exactly how I play. I make the settler unbuildable then make the Palace spawn one every10- 20 turns or so (depending how large a map I feel like playing) and the easiest way to give evey one a selected amount of settlers is with the difficulty settings, though you must make sure you get the same amount by setting player1 settings in the 'Player Properties' and yes it works with random maps.

Okay, I thought I had it figured out but I didn't. How do I make the settler unbuildable? If I make it a king unit won't I lose when I build cities with all of them?

I hope you continue with this project it sounds very interesting if you need help with graphics let me know (I'm just starting 3d but I have done alot of 2d like custom msstyles for windows xp icons program interfaces etc.)

It won't be very much, just a few simple changes. I won't try the barbarian thing since it can't be done in the editor, but I want to see what kind of game it becomes when you can't build more than a limited number of cities.

I'll try to work on what Steph suggested when I get home this afternoon, but a more detailed explanation would be useful, at least until I get home and tinker with the editor.

And I'll also try to make the scenario available if anyone wants to use it.

I did it for you guys, here it is. I'm gonna post it in the sub-forums..but where should I put it? Mod?
Enjoy!!

Thanks Nate. I was going to do this but I was busy playing it when I figured it out last night :)

Top Bottom