quick question

soren

The Existentialist
Hi fellow civers!

I am here with a quick question regarding the Evolution wonder: can I choose witch new two technologies I will discover upon building the wonder?

And if yes, how?

Welcome to CFC. :thumbsup:

In answer to your question: sort of.

If you really want to choose what new techs you get, you must time the ToE to finsh on the same turn as your Science research. So let's say you're researching Refining, and you have five turns left. In two turns, you'll finish the ToE. So that leaves three turns to finish Refining. The ToE automatically finishs Refining, and then you get to select the next tech.

However, if you tweak it so that ToE and Refining finish on the same turn, then you'll finish Refining, Select the new tech to research, finish ToE, get the new tech, and pick the second tech.

Any way it happens, you get to pick the second tech you get.

Remember, it goes Research - Build - Move. So if you finish the tech on the same turn as the wonder completes, you essentially get three techs. The one you researched, and the two from ToE.

Turner_727 is correct. The ToE wonder completes the tech you're currently researching and lets you choose one more which it also completes. So it is important to just have started on a tech when ToE is finished, so that you get to full techs.

For instance, say that you have 5 turns left for ToE and 6 turns left of Refining. If you do nothing special, when ToE is built, you'll get refinign for free as the first tech, although it was almost reaseached (only one turn left), so you waste much of ToE. Instead, what you should do is to increase research so that refining is finished in 5 turns (the same turn as ToE).

If you are unable to increase the research, you should take a citizen or two away from high-shield squares in the city building ToE, so that ToE is slowed one turn, and thus finishes just after Refining is built.

In both cases, you'll research refining by yourself, and get two additional techs of your choise from ToE.

Another example, say that you finish refining and have three turns left to build ToE. Since you then are unable to research another tech in those three turns, the tech you start on will also be the first given by ToE. Then you should choose your tech as normal, but set research to zero. Since the tech you chooses will be given for free by ToE in three turns, all research you put into it will be wasted.

Originally posted by TheNiceOne
Another example, say that you finish refining and have three turns left to build ToE. Since you then are unable to research another tech in those three turns, the tech you start on will also be the first given by ToE. Then you should choose your tech as normal, but set research to zero. Since the tech you chooses will be given for free by ToE in three turns, all research you put into it will be wasted.

Good follow up, TNO. I forgot to include this scenario as well. The advanatages to this is you get much needed gold while waiting for ToE to finish. Always need gold, no matter how much you have. Never can tell when you need to rush improvements or wonders.

Originally posted by Turner_727
Never can tell when you need to rush improvements or wonders.

WOW! you can rush wonders? LOL that must be some heck of a mod you're playing on :lol:

my 100th post!!!!!!! :D :yeah: [dance] :beer: [party] :band:
that only took 25 days, wow, that went by quick

I mispoke. I meant units. They can get quite expensive later in the game.

And there was a version of DyP that created the Merchant unit. Hideously expensive, and it's sole purpose was to rush Wonders. And yes, you could rush it.

Top Bottom