Quick Questions = Quick Answers

real quick question

1) when is the game itself slated to start (tyring to read as much as I can before this)

As far as I know (and anyone should correct me if I'm wrong here...) the game will not begin before the next patch comes out, which some people (who may or may not know anything) have put around March 30.

That's the best I know..

Question: As I have no experience in MTDG games I can only assume that it is primarily combat based. From my readings on PBEM and multi-players games it appears that its nothing but warmongering. Am I correct in assuming that the MTDG is the same way?

Question: As I have no experience in MTDG games I can only assume that it is primarily combat based. From my readings on PBEM and multi-players games it appears that its nothing but warmongering. Am I correct in assuming that the MTDG is the same way?

The Civ3 MTDG has actually been quite peaceful. Of the 4 teams, 1 tried warmongering early, and is now being punished for playing poorly. 2 teams have remained peaceful, though there have been some tense moments, and have benefitted from the peace.

I think you can expect a similar situation in the Civ4 game. While in many PBEMs people go to war for the sake of fighting, it is difficult to convince a whole team of well-trained players that war is better than infrastructure.

Just to add another thing ... Epsilon is set as a democracy, for war to occur a majority of citizens (that vote at the time) have to agree for it. I assume that the majority of other teams will behave in a similar manner.

This suggests that for war to occur, an extended debate has listed the pros and cons for this action ... and the benefits of an aggressive stance have far out weighed peace or neutrality.

I've found in single and pbem games that one reason for war is boredom, this will not be a factor in this type of game.

While I've not been involved in a war in this type of game, even being near war is also an unexpected exciting situation ... more and more of the peace faction bolster the ranks of the war party, while the dedicated peaceniks continue to argue against. Diplomacy really adds to this environment ... on one hand trying to disuade the aggressive rival from action (while still maintaining a proud stance) ... on the other trying to rally support from neighbours using every trick in the book from bribing to badgering.

If you are a virgin to this type of game, you better hold onto your panties cos you are in for one hell of a roller coaster ride :lol:

I was going to post in the Economy thread ... but as it seems to be purely for reporting I am unsure where to post queries to relivant Ministers.

I have an economic question ... do you see that setting aside a small sum of income for the Foreign Department to be able to tap into at it's discretion could be an option?

Could be related to how much income the Foreign Office adds to the coffers through trade and goody huts.

I'm thinking about the frustration that probably all Foreign Ministers feel when they want to utilise some of the more costly activities open to their department.
ie. establishing embassies and then later sending out the black ops and spies on missions to steal, disrupt production, insite rebellion among the target populous, etc.

So what about creating a special fund which the Foreign Minister can utilise for these darker purposes.

I'd assume some discussion would happen, but when these ideas goto votes, how many times are these ideas rejected because their is always more important things to spend cash on ...

Thinking more on adding to the 'fun factor' of the game.

It makes elections more interesting as well ... questions could be asked about intentions on spending the black purse ;)

There are no embassies in civ4. :p

Yes, it does make sense, though I wonder how much the Economic minister would be willing to give up?

Also remember that it takes about 200 gold per attempt by a spy at destroying an improvement.

yes - also in Civ4 spies don't come until very late in the game. It's totally possible this game won't ever get that far.

However - having a budget for Foreign to use to give/loan to other teams for other purposes is certainly a possibility.

gbno1fan said:
The Civ3 MTDG has actually been quite peaceful. Of the 4 teams, 1 tried warmongering early, and is now being punished for playing poorly. 2 teams have remained peaceful, though there have been some tense moments, and have benefitted from the peace.

I think you can expect a similar situation in the Civ4 game. While in many PBEMs people go to war for the sake of fighting, it is difficult to convince a whole team of well-trained players that war is better than infrastructure.
Speak for yourself. :p

Here's what the civilopedia says on spies:
Spoiler civilopedia info on spies :

So remember that you have to build a national wonder to be able to build spies in a very limited amount (and only 2 National Wonders can be built per city!), and there is no ability to steal a tech.

By the time we get to spies in this game (if it makes it that far) I will already have children :rolleyes:

With the exception of my first game and the one game I played to spaceship win, I have never made it that far into the tech tree :crazyeye:

Don't speak too soon C_H ... just look at the Civ3 MTDG :p

Proof of the unpredicibility of not only human opponents ... but a meld of differing personalities, playstyles and agendas.

fe3333au said:
Don't speak too soon C_H ... just look at the Civ3 MTDG :p

Proof of the unpredicibility of not only human opponents ... but a meld of differing personalities, playstyles and agendas.
If I had it my way, things would be so much different. :rolleyes:

It's what makes the game interesting personally, and it isn't like there is just one person, with his/her own personality, it has a large mix of personalities, and so is not quite as easy to predict.

Hello, I think this is where I can ask questions?

Any advice on where I should start to catch up?

How long until we start, now that the patch is out? (that is why I waited to join a team)

ItalianVoice said:
How long until we start, now that the patch is out? (that is why I waited to join a team

I think we'll find out in the next few days. I would check the main Civ4 Multil-Team Demogame forum. (The parent forum for this one) The projected start date will certainly be posted there.

But there are still a few things to finalize before we start. We have to have a map to play on (Sirian is building a custom map for us); we have to establish the ruleset. There aren't many things to decide on before the ruleset is established, but you can follow the discussion here

Memphus proposed that an internal discussion be made and a UN vote be taken about the new option of a civilization surviving until all units are killed.

Judging by GA's (one of the two game administrators) lack of support ... I sense that we are only now waiting for the map to be subitted ... and that he is very very very eager to start the game :D

Indeed I am fe3333au! :)

I can let you guys know the most of the map has been made, we're soon to be testing it out, but other than that, we should be good to go very soon! (Also just waiting on the ruleset, which shouldn't take more than a few days to edit, then a few days to poll).

Top Bottom