Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. briantjack

briantjack Chieftain

Is there a strategy guide for VP?

2. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Warlord

Photojournal gives you deep level of strategic execution.

3. andersw

andersw Emperor

Not that I know of.
    A common mistake by new players is to play like vanilla and then call the mod stupis when that doesn't work.
    It is good to actually build some units (3 archers and a spearman is not likely to win you a war).
    Don't just work on science and population build other stuff too.
    Beware of neighbours UU, when they are available they will most likely launch an attack, make sure its not you or that you can defend it.

I've seen a few extreme ways to play tied to certain UA/UB/faith/policy combinations.
    A lot of them have become obsolete and some new ones pop up here and there depending on balance changes.

4. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Check the strategy subforum. You'll find some guides on mechanics (they might be obsolete), some guides on especific civs and some guides on especific play styles.
    A comprehensive strategy guide of everything you can do in VP would be huge.

About tips, that depends on your skill level. For people coming right from vanilla:
    1 Culture and production are better than science and food.
    2 AI bonuses scale with ages, so the later the game, the more difficult it becomes.

6. Questdog

Questdog Prince

The Volley promotion for Siege units, states "50% Combat Strength vs Fortified Units and Cities". It has the icon for Melee Combat strength. So, I am assuming this is not for Ranged Combat Strength. My question is, if this is true, when would a Siege unit ever use its Melee Combat Strength against a fortified unit?

Kim Dong Un likes this.
  7. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

This has always tripped me out and I've been meaning to ask myself. This isn't the only case, as there are a few other promotions which cause similar confusion.

8. Kim Dong Un

Also here's my noob questions, as I've never had to do this in a game...

I had established and enhanced my religion, but my neighbor Ghandi had too much pressure. Because he enhanced/reformed with beliefs that were more suitable for my needs, I decided to let his religion envelop the entire continent that I'd conquered, after taking over his capital/holy city. I also had wiped out Ethiopia and took their holy city, but I specifically wanted India's religion to be my new religion. Eventually every single owned city (including my capital) was converted to Hinduism and it notified me that my majority religion was Hinduism, but in the religion screen it was saying I was still the leader of my original Tengriism, and I didn't receive any of India's religious benefits for the rest of the game (nor my own because I let Tengri die out to Hinduism). How the hell does this all work? It didn't seem right and I'm thinking it could've even been bugged out?

9. briantjack

briantjack Chieftain

Thanks for the link to the subforum; I never realized it existed. Having read several threads, I've picked up a few key points already.

10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Have you looked at Hinduism holy city? Bonuses should appear there.

11. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

It is Ranged Combat Strength however (at least that's what the combat preview tells). It wouldn't make much sense otherwise as you state already. The icon is simply the wrong one, good point (posting to Github should get it fixed for the next version).

I recall that Gazebo once stated on a similar problem "Founding trumps all", in the sense that if you found a religion, you won't be able to take over another one (as founder). So if you really don't get the bonuses (as tu_79 pointed out, it's not always obvious where they appear, at least to me), that may be the reason.

vyyt likes this.
  12. Kim Dong Un

I wanted the reformation belief Gandhi had, defender of the faith, but I didn't receive the bonus. I'm not sure if Delhi received the other bonuses because I wasn't aware. Regardless, not a single one of my cities was under Tengriism, but I was still being shown as the leader of Tengrii in the religion screen despite the notification popping up telling me that Hinduism was my majority religion.

If there's no way to switch, then that kind of blows. I'll just have to keep it in mind.

13. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

How long are promises must be kept to avoid diplomatic repercussion? If I remember correctly, for some there is a timer (e.g. 75 turns on Epic), but I just told Austria that I won't bully a City-State anymore and there is no indication how long should I keep my word. Does it mean the rest of the game? Or just the timer is not visible?

14. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Warlord

40 or 50 on standard. It is shown in the first time the AI demands that on you. After that it is hidden except when using transparent diplomacy.

15. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

Ahah! I didn't enable transparent diplomacy then probably this time, maybe that's the reason. Thanks!

16. Torvald

Torvald Prince

Hello,

I have started playing Civ 5 Vox Populi again after a 2-1/2 year break, so have a little learning to do concerning the latest changes to VP.

Have just completed a game as Rome (won a cultural victory) and am now about to start a second game as Venice. My quick question is: If I place an embassy in a city state and then later buy that city state using a Merchant of Venice, would I still retain the extra vote in the World Congress for having an embassy, or do I forfeit that vote?

17. neo_arcadia

neo_arcadia Warlord

You lose the vote, sadly. It's akin to a conquered city state by conquest means.

18. randomnub

randomnub Prince

Q: how could this happen on a standard Pangea map script? :cringe:

reef.png

Oh hey gratz 4000 replies

bigcat88 likes this.
  19. Questdog

Questdog Prince

I do not know, but I just had it happen on the Planet Simulator map script. Never have I seen anything like it before.

Untitled.png

20. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Am I seeing some coast tiles not connected to any land? :confused: