1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick speed Legendary culture requirement

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unofficial Patches' started by Lexad, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Lexad

Lexad royalcrownchinpokomaster

There is a miscalculation since Vanilla on Quick speed, where the culture required for Legendary level (and 80%-level, IIRC) is counted not as 2/3 of Normal (2/3*50000 = 33333), but as 1/2 (25000). Therefore it is almost 20% cheaper to achieve Legendary status on Quick.

Also, units on Marathon (except Settlers) cost 2* of their Normal cost instead of 3*.

2. Dresden

Dresden Emperor

I wouldn't consider either of those miscalculations because they are explicit XML settings; there's nothing for the game itself to calculate. The Legendary culture values are from CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml (and every one of the Quick culture values is 1/2 Normal) and the Marathon Unit costs are from CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml

While you can certainly argue that they are inconsistent and so could be mistakes, given the way they are implemented and how long they've been that way, I don't see them as bugs but rather design decisions that I'm hesitant to mess with. It would also be trivial for a user to change them to suit his/her needs.

3. Lexad

Ok, fair point

4. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The unit production definitely is when you consider on marathon, units move faster so it is more war oriented.. and so unit production is somewhat between movement (1x) and nonmilitary production (3x)

As for the Cutural... not sure, but I'd leave it as is

5. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Here's a possible reason why it's less than 2/3 requirement for quick speed specifically.

You're probably aware that buildings which produce culture double their cultural output after 1000 years. If you looked at the way years match turns for quick speed, you'll find a larger proportion of the game is spent after about 1900AD. Since this doubling of culture is before the multipliers you'd typically have in your culture cities, they may have decided this accounts for a good few thousand culture.

Personally I don't think it would account for that much but there may be other factors similar to this which makes quick speed a bit more unique.

6. Lexad

Well, the cost of buildings is the same, and if the wish was of levelling out dates, it would've best been done directly by aligning the date-turn relation. The compensation for higher unit logistics costs and little rushing option is the most probable reason, IMO.

7. Lexad

I suppose it was made to make things more lively to the player - for regular 2/1/1 capital and a wood building first worker for 180/4 = 45 turns would've been excruciating.