Quickest victory for different maps and types. What civ would you choose for deity?

Thorak

Warlord
I am curious to see what people consider to be the strongest civ. To make it easier to make this decision I would like you to fill out what civ you would choose for the victory types below and maps below. Exactly how you make the judgement what civ is the strongest is totally up to you and your playstyle, whether it being the quickest, the safest or the easiest and if you want to play peacefully or warmongering. Also note that this is with single player in mind, for multiplayer the list would look different.

Pangea domination:
Pangea culture:
Pangea science:

Continents domination:
Continents culture:
Continents science:

Archipelago domination:
Archipelago culture:
Archipelago science:

----
I'll start:

Pangea domination: Huns
Pangea culture: Huns
Pangea science: Maya

Continents domination: England
Continents culture: Polynesia
Continents science: Maya

Archipelago domination: Polynesia
Archipelago culture: Polynesia
Archipelago science: Maya

Safest and easiest choice shown, potentially quickest choice shown in parentheses

Pangea domination: England (Huns)
Pangea culture: Maya (Brazil)
Pangea science: Maya (Korea)

Continents domination: England (England)
Continents culture: Maya (Brazil)
Continents science: Maya (Korea)

Archipelago domination: England (Polynesia)
Archipelago culture: Polynesia (Brazil)
Archipelago science: Maya (Korea)

I'm gonna list two each, based on pure speed.

Pangea domination: Huns, Egypt
Here, the name of the game is early game powerful units. While I think the Huns will be faster, Egypt can manage a quickly growing empire better courtesy of the Burial Tomb. Both however will post impressive scores.
Pangea culture: Byzantium, Ethiopia
Byzantium can leverage on its double faith building into that one follower belief which name ive forgotten granting 2 tourism reformation belief, but it's risky. Ethiopia is a safer bet when it comes to religion and they can pull off a similar strategy. Maya and Celts could do it too.
Pangea science: Korea, Maya
They both barely edge out Babylon as far as I'm concerned. More versatile then Babs, especially the Maya.

Continents domination: England, Netherlands
For this, a big part is the Renaissance, when you can cross the ocean. To this end, having a strong naval unit around that time is a big help, which England and the Netherlands have. England is the better one of the two since they can start a conquering spree in medieval times, but don't discount the Dutch here.
Continents culture: Brazil, Polynesia
Here, the exceedingly fast strategy of Byzantium isn't as important anymore due to runaways on another continent getting set up. Thus, be in for a longer haul, which Brazil and Polynesia both can do. Polynesia is better if they can nab some early Tourism due to meeting the opposition sooner.
Continents science: Korea, Maya
This one is more in their favor as Pangea due to Babylon's early-game defense being somewhat less important.

Archipelago domination: Byzantium, Venice
This does kind of depend on an archipelago that ensures everything is reachable without ocean traveling, which is usually the case. Byzantium is the only one with a ranged ship early game which IMO is invaluable. Soften up enemy defenses while sailing in your land army to nab the cities. Venice, by the time the Great Galleass appears, will have a powerful economy going on and the strongest ship in the waters at that time, enabling them to do much the same, just a bit later.
Archipelago culture: Polynesia, any strong religion civ
With the same strategy as Byzantium, it's just that Polynesia is a very strong contender on these maps just for culture. Hard to deal with.
Archipelago science: Same as Continents.
Same reasoning as Continents.

Pangea domination: China, Huns etc
Pangea culture: Celts, Ethiopia etc
Pangea science: Korea, Babs etc..

Continents domination: Ottoman
Continents culture: Celts, Ethiopia etc
Continents science: Korea, Babs etc..

Archipelago domination: Denmark
Archipelago science: Carthage

Also, what happened to diplo? :p

whichever civ is played by a good player

Obviously a better player and a better start will win easier/quicker, this list is assuming similar starts/player.

Reason I didn't include diplo is because it's so easy and hard to really affect in finish time other than teching quicker that I feel the science civs will also finish diplo quickest.

Pangea domination: Babylon
Pangea culture: Babylon
Pangea science: Babylon

Continents domination: Babylon
Continents culture: Babylon
Continents science: Babylon

Archipelago domination: England
Archipelago culture: Babylon
Archipelago science: Babylon

You really can't underestimate that freaking Academy

Oh wait this is a quickest list haha teaches me to try to read past midnight

Babylon is still the answer for most of these because no one gets to Internet/Flight/Satellites faster than Nebby but the Huns and Egypt take Pangaea domination

whichever civ is played by a good player

So, as an expert speed player (going by your rep and videos) would you say that every civ on every map can hit a speed victory on the same number of turns? Surely UAs, UBs and UUs must affect this a little?

I can understand if you think its not nearly as important a factor as many make out, as you can CB rush Pangaea with any civ, but I'm thinking England's movement boost must shorten the clock on an archipelago map.

So, as an expert speed player (going by your rep and videos) would you say that every civ on every map can hit a speed victory on the same number of turns? Surely UAs, UBs and UUs must affect this a little?

I can understand if you think its not nearly as important a factor as many make out, as you can CB rush Pangaea with any civ, but I'm thinking England's movement boost must shorten the clock on an archipelago map.

Denmark with salt wins babylon without.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Pangea domination: Mongolia
Pangea culture: Ethiopia
Pangea science: Maya

Continents domination: Denmark
Continents culture: Brazil
Continents science: Korea

Archipelago domination: England
Archipelago science: Korea

Denmark with salt wins babylon without.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Sure, and Poland with salt, a hill start, and lucky goody huts and me playing it probably takes longer to win a single player game than a top tier player with Denmark and jungle spices on a Pangaea map. Clearly player skill is the most important thing, then starting resources luck, then map exploration luck, then civ last of all.

But with equal player skill, start, map placement and the rest, which civs are best for which maps? Thats clearly the question the OP is asking, and evading that question is being dismissive and facetious for the sake of it.

The best diplo civ is Greece. They have an amazing ability for diplomacy that no other civ can match - namely, the power to not have the AI spawn as Greece.

Greece gets more diplomatic bag for your buck but Siam gets more upfront, also I'm not really convinced that the civ that can make it to globalization wouldn't be better.

Top Bottom