1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quill18 video May 25th

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 25, 2016.

1. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I like that you can name units. With the new embed mechanic and the ability to name units, we will be able to have regiment like units.

2. Calyxx

Calyxx Warlord

I have to say, I am extremely reassured by the descriptions of AI behavior - seems like a massive step up from Civ V. It always helps to be able to see logical reasons for AI behavior.

Also very excited about the 'Just War' option. Civ V always seemed to have very little conflict - the penalties for warmongering were just too high. If you conquered a civ in 2,000 BC, you would still get "We have concerns about your warmongering" in 1960 - even if you weren't the aggressor!

Hopefully these changes to diplomacy will create a more dynamic and internally consistent game.

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

The UI is great. Justified wars are great. Limited use workers are great. Overall impression is great.

The things I don't like that much:

1. The diplomacy is heavy single-player oriented. None of the described features will work in multiplayer. Still may be worth playing against a human with a lot of AIs on the map. We'll see.

2. Civic cards mechanic worries me as with that amount of variants the bonuses could be quite small and the difference between the paths could neglect.

3. We have 3 different mechanics for limiting local population - food, housing and amenities (happiness). I have no idea how all this is going to work together, but looks like a mess so far. Also, no limit to the number of cities is mentioned, but I assume those floating point numbers in money, faith, etc. are the result of some form of corruption.

4. Road automation is a very questionable thing. I'm not sure how it should work, but it definitely strips away the part of strategy where you tried to make your empire resistant from possible road-blocking by enemy. It's possible, however, what we may have more control over the roads later in the game (i.e. with railroads), so we need to wait and see.

4. darko82

darko82 Emperor

5. oddtail

oddtail Warlord

I really like this change, if it's true. Rivers should be extremely important for strategic defense - spending an entire turn on them would help with that immensely.

As to cliffs, I hope they will be impossible to climb (possibly until a later technology). This would make cliff-based bombardment/cities/fortresses much more difficult to capture, although possibly (I assume) at the cost of economic viability, harbors etc.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I like that nukes will do damage on a tile per tile basis, ie more damage at the center and less as you go out from the center. This was done to take into account the new district system. So a nuke will do more damage to a district close to your city center than a district that is further away.

7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I am also super excited that True Start Locations will be a thing in civ6 from the get-go.

8. Nick31

Nick31 Prince

Barbarian Scouts seem fun. Seems really cool to have a scout be able to get home and spawn a raiding force. I can imagine on higher difficulties, that premium on preventing an early Barbarian raid to come pillage your districts/trade will make killing those scouts a big deal. Active Barbarians!

9. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

True start locations?

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

11. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

That is where you play on an earth map and the civs start in their real history geographical locations. So France starts in France, Egypt starts in Egypt, rather than starting in random locations.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Has Ed confirmed that there's going to be map with that? Or did he just insuniate that they are taking into consideration the underrepresented parts of the world.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

@civgame on Twitter just mentioned that Quill18 is going to discuss Civ VI on his Twitch Livestream today.

That's in 10 minutes.

14. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Well, not directly but he does say that civ6 will do a better job in that area because he recognizes that True Start Location is important to a lot of civ players.

15. miaasma

miaasma Prince

officially (newly) excited and hyped for this

16. darko82

darko82 Emperor

But it seems there might not be diplomacy music. If so, I would like them to make each civilization have a unique soundtrack.

17. CivCube

CivCube Trickster therapist.

Which is rather exciting because Civ 5 actually did a decent job in that department. Seeing more lesser-known peoples represented will be fun.

18. Nick31

Nick31 Prince

Another sexy thing is the insta-construct of improvements. One of the big impediments to wide play in CiV is that you can't keep up with improving everything unless you have a massive army of workers, and it takes a lot of time to to get cities to viable status. If you can go settle a city and then send a builder there alongside the settler, suddenly you have a city placed and you can improve a lux, mine iron, and build 2 farms. Bam, viable city.

Obviously, there will be some sort of ICS barrier, but just the ability to get a city insta-strong if you so choose, seems pretty cool. You might miss out on cool wonders, but getting your network popping with cities with core improvements would make at least somewhat wide play very attractive.

19. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

What makes you say that?

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I'll tell you what thrills me to death in this video: the fonts, the icons, the graphics... ARE ALL LARGE ENOUGH TO SEE EASILY.

CiV is just barely legible enough (IMHO) to be playable - if those font's were ANY smaller I would not have bought it.

But this... looks wonderful in that regard. Very happy about this, let me tell you. THANK YOU FIRAXIS!!!